180-degree photos -- tips?

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
vrooje

180-degree photos -- tips?

Post by vrooje »

Hi all,

I would like to know if anyone has any tips and/or tricks for taking good 180-degree photos.

Our house has beautiful views, and I'd like to be able to capture that -- 180-degree photos are the only things I've seen that can do this without distorting the image.

The only time I've ever tried this was a number of years ago, and it was okay at the time, but you could tell the exposure was different in each shot I used to assemble the panorama, etc.

Can you just stand in one spot and take several photos at different rotations? Or do you do use special equipment? Do something special to make sure the lighting is right? Is a tripod necessary?

This isn't something I'll be doing anytime soon -- probably not for months. But hey, it never hurts to ask!

Thanks in advance!
Brooke
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Hi Brooke
Has your photo software a panorama or "stitch" feature? I've had lots of different software free with cameras etc and most seem to include panorama so its worth checking yours out. Adobe Photo Elements (the cut down Photoshop) has this as a easy to use feature. I don't think that software is too expensive.

I guess a tripod would be better for consitency. Not sure re lighting etc, one of the professional photographers can probably advise on that.

I've just bought one of those Olypmus Mini Mju cameras that's been heavily advertised and I'm thrilled with it. (it is mini!)The largest memory card comes with a panorama feature for that and the camera itself. You can also shoot up to 30 mins Quicktime movie with that card too - I might have a go at a "walk thru" movie of my cottage but not sure re sound - my husband might narrate for me!!
paolo

Post by paolo »

This is a good question that has also been puzzling me. When I take panoramas with several pictures, each comes out with a different exposure level. That can often be fixed by matching up brightness and contrast in Photoshop (or similar). But not always.

The other problem is that as you swivel round to take the different parts of the picture, you are altering your 'angle of attack' and that results in the pics not matching up. I'll show you what I mean:

I've lined up the mountain top and that part of the pic is fine. The skies match up OK. The lower you go though, the more disparity there is between the two, till you get to the handrail which is just hopeless. Anyone know how to avoid this?

What does the Photoshop stitch function actually do? Does it even out the levels?

Panoramas are really a good selling point - if you've got one, flaunt it.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Hm... I've never even looked for a stitch feature, to tell you the truth. I never touch the software that came with the digital camera -- I prefer Photoshop or PSP (because it's cheaper and I'm a po' student). They probably do have such a function. Iiinteresting.

Paolo, I'm not sure there is a way to fix the near-field distortion, but then, I am definitely not the expert on these things. It's good to know, though, that when I try this I'll need to keep the camera clear of major nearby features! It should work since the bottom of the panorama will be the river, and water is theoretically not too hard to match.

Re: the light levels, one thing I thought of is to manually set the exposure and contrast and such in the camera. That ought to keep the same features exposed at the same level in each image. My digital camera can automate everything, but everything can also be manually set. I've just never done it!
Brooke
livinginitaly

Post by livinginitaly »

The latest version of Photoshop (CS) has the 'stitch and merge' feature which will create a 'panoramic' type image. But it is extremely difficult with earlier versions (well, for me it was anyway!). Hence the reason why we invested in MGI Photovista (now defunct software, but still works great).

Most recently we've sent off for a 360 degree 'fisheye' lens and still eagerly awaiting delivery :)

If it's just the one or two images you'd like making, send me the masters .... i'd be only to happy to convert to a panorama for you. I need something to pass the time, whilst we wait to exchange contracts here in UK!

You can also download a trial version of Easy Panorama here ...

http://www.easypano.com/trialversions.html

the full version costs around $99
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

Tony, are you serious? In a way this is an answer to another thread about an effective banner/headline (I'm not sure of the exact terminology) for our website, but at the mo I don't have the photos I need. Are you prepared to wait till later in the year?

Christine
www.stybarrowcottage.co.uk
(a website which we've updated, but still has a boring -and very blue - headline!) :D
livinginitaly

Post by livinginitaly »

Hi Christine,

I'm almost ashamed to say that 'stitching' is a 5 minute job (when you have the right software). So my offer isn't a very 'grand' one, but is very genuine none-the-less :)

Regarding your header, let me know when you have the graphics and i'll be happy to help out.
livinginitaly

Post by livinginitaly »

Paolo,

the varying 'perspectives' of multiple image is what causes the distortions. Our brain effectively 'stitches' the dual images into one seamless panorama (sorry if eggs and grannies come to mind!)

Taking multiple 'flat images (each one acceptable in its own right) and attempting to 'blend' is an horrific task, but can be done.

This image is a blend of 8 separate images taken looking up and down at varying distances along the properties length.

Because of the layout of the garden, it was impossible to take this picture 'normally'.

As is often the case though, the end result doesn't show the hours of work that went into producing it!

p.s. just to show how much i like to 'fill my time', some obvious 'quality loss' due to not having the masters, but .......

Last edited by livinginitaly on Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Well I can't see the joins on that one. Do you mean you actually moved about to take the shots?

I think one of the things you have to do is break up your panorama into a lot more pictures than you strictly need to, as this will reduce the variations going from one pic to the next.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
livinginitaly

Post by livinginitaly »

lol, this is getting to be a late night habit!

yes, taking a panorama by 'blending' 8 seperate images will be far easier and give much better results than trying to work with 2 or 3. :)
paolo

Post by paolo »

I like this time of day - no children screaming, no distractions. I'm going to get my beauty sleep now. But I think you must be either nocturnal or insomniac?
Paolo
Lay My Hat
paolo

Post by paolo »

Tony,

I just saw what you did to my crooked balcony shot - how did you do that?!
Paolo
Lay My Hat
livinginitaly

Post by livinginitaly »

Hard to put into words really (though quite straight forward once you know what buttons to press).

The image on the left seemed to me to be the most 'natural', so any adjustments were made to the right image.

In fireworks (though photoshop has it too), i selected the distort option. This allows you to 'stretch' one corner of the image. The effect this has is to greatly 'bend' the detail in the selected corner, whilst leaving the detail in the opposite corner relatively unchanged.

After some playing around, you can 'straighten' rogue horizontal or vertical lines and get the 'merge' to blend more or less seamlessly.

Then comes the actual 'join' line, in this case i managed to get it pretty close by altering the colour balance 'slightly', then applied a transparency brush along the edge where the images overlapped, just to 'smooth' the transition.

I didn't actually time myself, but i'd say it took around 15 mins including getting the image online. The more time you spend on it though the better the result.

Also helps if you adjust the resolution to 150dpi whilst doing the adjusting, even though you'll be exporting it at 72dpi.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Excellent stuff, I am going to apply the lesson to my other non-functioning panoramas.

Thanks very much! :D
Paolo
Lay My Hat
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Tony,

Thank you for the offer! It might be months and months before I actually get over to France (I'm in CT, USA right now) to take the images, though... but when I do I'll take as many as possible.

...I'm just staring slack-jawed at what you did to Paolo's image. I would never have thought to try distorting it! What a great idea! And your other image is so well-done that I can't even see a hint of seams. Wow.

...clearly I have a lot to learn about this type of imaging! :)
Brooke