We want to book for 2010......

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Mountain Goat

We want to book for 2010......

Post by Mountain Goat »

Do punters really look this far ahead? Do you think she's got anyone in mind?

I am looking for prices for the whole Chalet please for
one week (Maybe another week for honeymoon). There will
be 6 adults in total. I am not sure of the exact date as
I am planning to get married either 2009 or 2010 providing
I can get a registry office nearby (do you have any local
information you could send to me?). We would like to be
there when it is most likely to snow......would like to know more about the bedrooms .....I hope you can help. Can you let me know the best time to book please to guarantee the whole Chalet. Many thanks.....

Charming or timewaster? I only ask as quite a lot can happen in 3 years.

MG
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

Well - I think it is quite sweet!

Too many youngsters today leave everything to the last minute :lol:

Was the tel number genuine or one of those dodgy '7' ones.

On the other hand, a bit odd.

Robert
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

I'm waiting for the...."I will send you £15000....."
Also...rental charges 2007 won't be the same for 2009/10! :?
Could be a genuine (immature) enquiry...but I'm a Grumpy 'Old' Woman!!
A-two

Post by A-two »

MG,
Planning 2 years ahead for a wedding is perfectly normal for the brides who are looking around here for a vineyard setting. They need all of that to save for the $50,000 or more that it costs. Maybe their plans are so extravagant, they need 3 years. I see no reason why this is a scam, it's fairly typical of the ones I receive from time to time, and possibly the first of 2,000 or more questions you can expect to receive along the way if you're going to entertain a wedding party, because that's what it is, one big week long party. Whether you want to get involved with a group whose sole mission is to get together with large groups of their friends and relatives all in one place, including your place, is another matter. Personally, we don't host wedding groups for that reason, but that's your call.

Good Luck.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I'm with Joanna. Planning a couple of years in advance for a wedding is not at all uncommon.

If I were you, and I were to accept a wedding booking, I'd charge a bit more to account for all the nitpicking that will go on, because you'll have to spend a lot more time than usual managing the booking...
Brooke
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi MG

I agree with the others not necessarily strange :wink: ...

We booked our daughters wedding over 2 years before and that was only in a Local Hotel !! and only just got in[a sought after one though]

Though I agree with the others I think youll have a lot of work to do as large groups always have to have more attention : .....
Are you up for it........ :wink: :roll: :lol:

ps
I had a booking for this October nearly 2 years in advance..
as Crystal says rates can go up and I put extra on my 2005 rates[and actually looking at the rate I quoted now that 2007s here probably was a bit more than it should have been]......But I was very pleased to do it...
Octobers not an over busy month and 2 weeks 2 houses was a great start to 2007[in 2005] :wink:
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Mmm, well, thanks everyone for all that excellent advice. It certainly isn't last minute, that's true, and I'm wary of the genuine phone number if it's the beginning of many detailed discussions, and charges for 2010? - still struggling with 2007/8.

I suppose we're quite near a vineyard, which may have inspired her, though not sure of the attraction with ugly plastic vats - I wonder if she would prefer grapes in full bloom - 'cos vines aren't that attractive the rest of the year. Difficult.

On reflection, a bit out of our league - Mrs G and I gave it 10 days, until we found a dodgy bishop who trimmed things to a week. I do remember I had to get up early on the day to get the M&S sandwiches, though. I mean, when you've decided this is 'it' how can you wait 3 years?

And speaking as a Grumpy 'old' Git, considering the state of the whole marriage idea these days, 3 years is a touch on the optimistic side I would have thought, unless the groom was a variable factor in her plans. Maybe he hasn't even come on the scene yet, and she's just a born romantic?

Still, horses for courses, I'll give it a whirl, and see what happens, although if anyone's keen, I'll hand her over.

Thanks again.

MG
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

On reflection, a bit out of our league - Mrs G and I gave it 10 days, until we found a dodgy bishop who trimmed things to a week. I do remember I had to get up early on the day to get the M&S sandwiches, though.
M&S sandwiches :wink: Theres POSH :!:

AHH! Mountain Thats nearly romantic :wink:

.....I do know what you mean [when its IT its IT*]Me & Hubby got married Jan 29th1992[anniversary soon] I was only 18[there thats given it away and you all thought I was a teenager :wink: ]
We had been engaged a year though Mum wanted us to wait until March[my birthday]NO or the summer so the weather would be better...But N0...Jan it was ...
and everybody in the church were freezing...not me though...I floated...
[After the reception it Snowed and all the relatives were grubling about getting home etc.....]

Best day of my Life and best decision Ive EVER made..[hope he thinks the same :roll: :wink: :lol: ]

Of course people didnt live together then so if you wanted to be together ...You got married...[Maybe if he had lived with me first he might have changed his mind :wink: :lol: ]

Now you get engaged & live together...then you decide to get married....then get divorced :wink: .....

* Maybe we could go into business writing greetings cards...how could anyone resist.... :wink:
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

In 2005 I received a booking inquiry for a group of 2-8 people in 2008/09. It would have been for a long term let - some months - 5 maybe? I explained that it was difficult for me to anticipate that far ahead. She has recently come back, stating that the plans have gone on hold for the long-term let, but that she would like to know our rates for a 5 week let (ie not as long-term) for next year.

I had wondered originally if she was a potential scammer, but am hoping the recent contact confirms she's genuine. No mention of marriages and carriages in either email, so, just another example of long range planning. It was a 'big pond' email address - is that an Oz one? Certainly people who are proposing to travel any distance tend to plan much further ahead. And I guess, as has already been said, the same applies to those who have to make wedding arrangements.

PS: have just clocked the reference to the M&S sandwiches. :D An expensive filling I hope, and not just yer run-of-the-mill ham and cheese. Searching for a pun - there must be one somewhere...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

MG,

I admit I have only had a quick read-through, so I may have missed some important detail, but it strikes me that for anything associated with a wedding - i.e. a big deal! - wouldn't you want to pick up the phone and speak to someone as part of the initial 'sounding out' process? I know I would. Hence, yes, I am a bit suspicious. Alternatively, why don't you give them a bell?

Jenny
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Jenny, hi
We really haven't a clue what we'll be doing in 2010 i.e. living in or still renting the chalet, so my heart isn't in this one. Also I've such a thing against cold calling that I'll leave it.

I've suggested to her that there's stacks of interesting properties out there (possibly easier within the EEC - though by 2010, who knows with Switzerland) and I'm happy to pass her details around. So, if she replies, then I'll swop email contact details via PM to anyone who wants to take it on. Donation to Paolo's wife's shoe fund may then be in order?

MG

GG - plain and simple prawn 'n' cucumber I think.
Last edited by Mountain Goat on Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

Good evening Ros,
Me & Hubby got married Jan 29th1992[anniversary soon] I was only 18
I had a little chuckle over this.

An East Anglian girl not married before she was 18. I bet that got local tongues wagging (seen as almost a spinster when I lived there. Mind you that was a bit before 1992)

Luv - Robert
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

MG,

A very good executive decision, if you ask me...my heart definitely wouldn't be in that one, either :wink:
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Robert....
Me & Hubby got married Jan 29th1972[anniversary soon] I was only 18
Sorry.... Of course I meant 1972 :oops: ]...35 anniversary coming up
Thanks for not noticing :wink: [would of made me 33
[as if :roll:]
An East Anglian girl not married before she was 18. I bet that got local tongues wagging (seen as almost a spinster when I lived there. Mind you that was a bit before 1992)
Whatever do you mean are you saying I was on the shelf :shock:

[there isnt a shelf big : enough :wink: :lol: ]
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

Ros,

:roll: :wink: :lol:

Robert

We are the 1974 vintage - a very good year. (And another posting hijacked)