HELP - please review our website

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Janine

HELP - please review our website

Post by Janine »

Hi,

I would be really grateful for some reviews /comments on our website.
We are based in France, the website is targeting the UK market of walkers.
The biggest selling point for us is the beauty of the area and the 'undiscovered' nature of it compared to other mountain regions in France. We are also much cheaper than similar holidays offerd in more widely known destinations.

Our website is getting lots of hits (I think its lots anyway, about 30 per day)?
but no enquiries or further contact.

I'd really appreciate your comments.

Thanks,

Janine
www.auvergneactive.com
linda147

Post by linda147 »

Hi Janine
I had a very quick look at your website inbetween working and the first thing that struck me on the home page was that I was confused about what you were offering? Is it walking holidays or accommodation? The navigation is also confusing - you have accommodation at the bottom of your home page which takes you to a page with guesthouse accommodation. The navigation at the top of the home page for Chambres D'Hotes takes you to the same page but Gites link takes you to another page entirely.
I like the image links but the first image covers the links to the other images so you have to move your mouse completely away and go back again to view further images.
There are some useful links on your links pages.
I think you need titles at the top of each page so potential customers know what the page is about. Your home page should also make it clear what your site is all about - if people are not impressed by this they will just close the site and go elsewhere - web surfers are very lazy and if you don't immediately catch their interest they get bored! I would put a picture of your property on your homepage if that is the main focus of your site.
Hope this helps - I know from my own site how you can see it yourself totally differently to the average web surfer.
Janine

Post by Janine »

Hi Linda,

Thanks for your feedback. I agree with most of your comments so will ask our website designer to change a few things.

Heres hoping for more bookings now!

Janine
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Janine, nice site, will try and look at it soon. In the meantime, please, please get rid of those apostrophes on:

......keep donkeys’, chickens’ and bees’....

- it made me quite dizzy, and I'll take a while to recover.

Thanks'.

MG
Giulia

Post by Giulia »

Hi there. I agree with Linda's comments. On a positive side the special offer square is very noticeable and the price very reasonable. However you have to go to a different page to discover that you provide some sort of transport to the gite. This is a selling point that should be emphasised because without having to rent a car, a week hols would be very reasonable.
Giulia
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Overall I like the site -- I think you've made the nature part quite clear from the photos and color scheme. I also think it's pretty readable, with one exception: It may just be me, but I have trouble focusing on the text of the home page, because my eyes keep wanting to focus on the house in the middle of the page. It's a bit straining for me.

Also, it wasn't immediately clear that the house in the background is the property you're advertising. It's definitely implied, but as Linda said, implications are often lost on web surfers.

I do like that you put your special offers right on the home page -- that gives everyone an idea of what your prices are and what you offer. I suggest also that you make your "Ask us for further details" a link that takes the user to the contact page.

You seem to be using different font sizes in various places -- is there a reason for that? On some pages, it seems to be normal text; on others, smaller and bold. And on the home page, it's all larger text. On my screen, the larger text is the only one that's really comfortable for me to read, but then again my monitor resolution is through the roof -- so all fonts appear a bit smaller to me.

At first I was confused as to exactly what you were offering, but I think this has more to do with the order of your links than what you mention on the homepage -- as you do have text stating that you offer two options to guests. I agree that "Accomodation" on the bottom should be changed to match the upper links. And, I think perhaps your links to the Chambres d'Hotes and Gite pages should come before the Area and Self-Guided Walks links. Though, that is probably a bit more a matter of personal taste, since if your target is the walking-holiday crowd, they might be more interested in the walks themselves than the holidays. (And if this is so, they might also appreciate several photos taken from the various walks you offer.)

One small thing: on your contact page, the first line reads "Contact us with any qeuries" instead of "queries."

Cheers!
Brooke
charles

Post by charles »

Hi Janine,

I agree with the font issue - I would stick to one font, two different sizes if at all possible.

The background graphic is nice but a bit "in-your-face" and it does - as commented earlier - make it difficult to read to text. I would suggest fading it a bit more.

I also notice a long & empty rectangle at the bottom of the home page (in Firefox) - is that there for a reason?

The hit counter also appears in two different locations on the bottom of the page - maybe a code typo there?

In the menu at the bottom it has "accommodation" but the "menu" at the top has "chambres d'hotes"; since they lead to the same page I think the link names should be the same.

And finally I would also suggest amending the copyright to 2006-2007 - makes it look more current imho.

Overall I think it is very nice, well presented and informational - it just needs a few tweaks to make it perfect.

hth
Cheers,
Charles

Post by Jimbo »

The biggest selling point for us is the beauty of the area and the 'undiscovered' nature
I don't feel there is enough pictorial evidence of the 'beauty of the area'. Given your stunning location, great photographs should be easy but I'm vaguely disappointed with the ones on offer. Plus - but it's a personal thing - I don't much like moving photo galleries that open up each pic for a few seconds. I prefer photos to open up big individually, so I can study them closely.

I'd be tempted to accompany some friendly guests on a couple of walks and shoot pictures of the scenery, the walks and the guests. Or, ask friendly guests if they'd be willing to lend you some of their photographs for your site - everybody's digital these days, so it's easy to scroll down and see what they've shot. But, if you do this, make sure that you credit them for the picture(s) on your site and reward them in some way - wine?, meal?, discount? - or whatever? They won't expect this and you'll make them your friends for life with such courtesy.

Good luck, looks to be a lovely place.

Jim
Kersh

Post by Kersh »

The only thing i'd say from a breif look is I do struggle to read the text on the pages where you have a picture in the background. Trying to read the text where is picture goes from sky to ground was quite tricky.

I'll continue to have a look through and make some more comments.

Cheers
Kersh
maisoui1

Post by maisoui1 »

Hi Janine,
Interesting site. Nice concept.
- I like to layout/design of the site with the consistent section at the top of each page that has the site name - auvergneactive.com.
- I like the background that you have chosen on the page. I would fade it a bit. It competes somewhat with the text and so it makes the text hard to read. It's a little distracting.
- At first I couldn't really tell from the home page what was being offered whether it was walking tours that you ran or whether you were providing lodging for walking tours in the area. The page about the walks made it much clearer. You might want to try to figure out how to make hings clearer at the home page.
- The page re the area is very good. Info that people would want to know about. I like the map. Like the slide show of pictures of the area.
- There is a page for full board and one for self catering but both pages talk about both options. For some reason, the first thing my eye saw on the Full Board page were the words "no food". One option might be to let one page talk about the accommodations and another talk about the various options (full board versus self-catering). Or, you might keep the pages separate but let the full board page only talk about full board and the other about talk only about self catering. I think I might prefer the first option.
- Love the prices page. That is very very clear.

Hope this helps.
Sherry
george

Post by george »

One thing you should make a bigger thing of is the fact that you were featured in the Sunday Telegraph. This alone I see as a huge selling point.

Have this link to a page containing either a scan or a quote from what was said (I'm assuming there was some sort of feature on your property).

As a renter, that would give me huge confidence in you and your rental.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I agree with all the previous comments - more photos definitely if you want to attract the walkers! The homepage to me looks too wordy and because there are no photos it wouldn't encourage me to look any further on the site. I don't really like the special offers so predominantly, it looks a bit desperate! And it isn't really clear if you offer a kind of walking package holiday or just the accommodation.
I love hiking and the Auvergne region, and had a lovely stay there once. However, we seemed to be the only UK people staying there, it was an undiscovered area then and still seems to be relatively undiscovered by the Brits. Would it help to target the French, Dutch and German market as well as they seem to enjoy more activity on their summer holidays than UK people do generally?
Just a thought.
colette

Post by colette »

Hi Janine,Just felt that the first page needs to be more eye catching.Something to grab the viewer.You have some beautiful shots of your place.Could you not use one of these to show what you are getting.
The photos themselves are lovely ,they do sell the holiday.More views of the area would be nice.
(p.s.don't look at my pictures ,they are awful I know)
I have had very constructive advice from a few posters on the site,so I will thank them whilst I am here.You know who you are.