Reality Check

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
The Moles Mother

Reality Check

Post by The Moles Mother »

Dear all,

I definitely think this one's a scam - it has all the hallmarks. Hubby, however, thinks I'm a bit too quick to reject these things and wants me to at least answer it.

I would like your opinions to show him. Scam or not? If scam, why? Has anyone else had this particular one?

hamedresevation01@unionplus.net

Dear Sir/Ma,
We write to introduce our Ministry " His Grace Ministries". Our main importance of sending this mail is to crave your sense of honesty and sincerity with respect to this enquiry. We have been nominated to travel with our ministries representatives Ladies .
We want to enquire from you if we can make a reservation for our officials during this retreats above in order to handle all our accomodation during this period.

OFFICIALS NAMES:
1. CARRINE BAILEY (Pastor)
2. SANDRA PAUL (Evangelist)
3. MORRINE ROWE (Pastor)
4. GRACE BLAIR (Evangelist)
5. ESTHER ALEXANDRA (Evangelist)

Check In:28/1/2007
Check Out: 5/2/2007.

We would be most appreciative if you would be willing to do so. For prompt action, we would be very grateful, if you can send the total cost of a single standard room for officials (5) In Euro OR US Dollars to effect the credit cards for the payment.
We would be expecting your prompt response.
Thank you and God Bless,
Rev Mark.
His Grace Ministries

I also need to add that it wasn't even addressed to us but to another email address. How we got it is a mystery!

MM
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

scam definitely
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

150% scam.

I suggest you don't reply, but if you do, then use a blockable e-mail address.

God Bless.

MG
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

MM,

I sort of agree with your husband but not a lot.

Many of these things are obvious scams but what do you think you have to lose by giving them an initial reply?

Waste your time or landing up on another scam database might be the result. Apart from that, what have you got to lose?

You’re not going to give them your innermost secrets, are you? You’re not going to accept a $1m Western Union Draft for a $1000 bill and send the rest to someone else, are you?

Why not respond, play them along for a while and then tell them to push off? Who knows? One in a thousand just might be genuine.

On the other hand, they’re so obvious from the outset you might as well ignore them.

Fluffy
paolo

Post by paolo »

It couldn't be more of a scam and I wouldn't give out an email address to a scammer because he might find another use for it.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I know it's highly eccentric to pay for an e-mail service, but one outfit we use for replying to dodgy e-mails or giving out to people we don't know, is:

https://www.cotse.net/mail/src/login.php

(Cotse is Church of the Sleeping Elephant - don't ask - but run by super-geeks who reply instantly to queries)

This gives you unlimited e-mail addresses which you can block or play around with or which auto-cancel after a certain date. Their spam filters can be tuned to perfection (ish).

i.e. If you leave your e-mail address on a website for a newsletter or whatever, you leave them an e-mail address which identifies the site and any subsequent communications. You can then unleash yourself if they flog your e-mail address elsewhere, or simply block it.

So, with LMH one could leave an e-mail address like:

lmh@myname.cotse.net

Tedious post, apologies.

MG
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

paolo wrote:It couldn't be more of a scam and I wouldn't give out an email address to a scammer because he might find another use for it.
I agree. I wouldn't respond at all.

Fluffy
Chambo

scam

Post by Chambo »

Hello,
Just to say, I wouldn't reply either - it was written just like mine (see 'Pastor John King') and after my 'prompt' initial reply, I've heard nothing. Hmmm. I'm still not sure what they just gained from me, though.
I guess it goes to show there's a lot of people out there trying to get us and I'm really cross about it still. And to think, I said to my husband - 'ooh! Our first booking!'
Anna
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I also need to add that it wasn't even addressed to us but to another email address. How we got it is a mystery!
That's the icing on the cake for me -- this indicates that they sent the same letter to a bunch of addresses. All those addresses (except the one you saw), including yours, were in the Bcc field, so they don't show up in the headers.

Even if the rest of the letter hadn't convinced me, that part would. Real inquiries don't need to hide their e-mail recipients.
Brooke
The Moles Mother

Post by The Moles Mother »

Many thanks everyone.

I showed him yor replies and I've managed to convince him its not worth replying to it even to wind up the scammers.

MM
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hello,

I will like to enquire about your apartment,i will be needing it for a duration of four weeks,please get to me with the pricing and details.

Rose.
HMMM Nicely vague[apartment? .... house!].....Where...When... :roll:

Also it didnt come through a website address........
Lets see what develops.....????
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hello Ros,
I will want to have the Villa as from 25th of February till 25th of March.I will want to have the price for this period and also the name and address to make out the payment to via a Euro cheque,I will want you to do this as soon as possible as i have my husband waiting to make the payment to you immidiately.
I look forward to read from you soon.

Double HMM>>>What dyareckon :?: