honest opinions please!!!

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
elena

honest opinions please!!!

Post by elena »

Hello!
We were let down by our web designer and were forced to build our own in a panic!
Have finished but it's not gone out to search engines just yet.
Had some mixed feedback and have changed the home page - now it looks like 2 different styles within the same site . I originally had a descriptive entry page as my home page before going on to Les Crouquets page, which is more or less redundant.
I got a lot of good constructive criticism but now am getting a bit confused :? Thought I'd throw it out to the wider world to get some objective first impressions before I change any more. I have a thick skin so please don't hold back - it all helps!!!!
Would REALLY appreciate it if anyone has the time to look.
Thanks in advance,
Elena
www.lescrouquets.net
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Your gites look lovely and I will have a look in more detail later - but the first thing (and it is important) is that your photos really need reducing in file size as the pages take a long time to load for me and I have 1,2MB ADSL.
elena

honest feedback!

Post by elena »

Thanks Susan!
I had resized all the photos but know they're still too big. Am working on it!!

Elena
www.lescrouquets.net
enid

Post by enid »

I know you want some detailed feed back but as usual I am logging on to LMH when I should be working so just a quick comment for now. My first impression was WOW - the site is clear, easy to access and easy to read! I love your text - strikes just the right tone - makes me feel that mine is abit too formal. So I'll have another read later :D
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Elena,

I have been wondering what could be created using BlueVoda and now I know. I must say I'm impressed. Was it all quite straight forward?

Fluffy
elena

Post by elena »

Alan Knighting wrote:Elena,

I have been wondering what could be created using BlueVoda and now I know. I must say I'm impressed. Was it all quite straight forward?

Fluffy
Well, for a complete novice like me it didn't create too many problems. I seemed to get bogged down in trying to get just the right feel, layout, colourmix etc etc more than any great technical stuff. I have to say though if you do get stuck, it's a great forum for quick and efficient help ( not unlike here!) Probably can do lots more with it if you have a bit of prior knowledge.
Elena
www.lescrouquets.net
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Elena,

I think its a great looking site with everything one may need on it. Everything is quite easy to find (but see below) and I particularly liked the little greybox quotes and sayings. Keeps one amused while reading the serious stuff.

Specific comments:

- I think you could drop the "Enter" box on the front page. Its not really clear where that goes, or why.

- You may want to think about putting each cottage on a separate page. When one clicks on say Le Logis, you see details for Le Fournil. Its not really obvious that one has to scroll down - particularly as the Page Title is also le Fournil. I found myself going back and trying again before realising there were two per page. By the way, if you do this, you could possibly also put the floorplan right there on the page, without causing another click. This of course, assumes your floor plans are not going to be overly large (see below)

- Many of the pages are quite slow to load.
- Many of your tall/vertical pictures are kind of out of proportion - they've been erroneously scaled to use some jargon.

Both the last two comments would be resolved if you resized your pictures before publishing them. What is happening is that you are posting pictures in their full (large) size, but letting the browser squeeze them down to size. So a) the poor visitor is downloading overlerly large pictures, but only seeing small versions of them, and b) sometimes they're resized out of proportion to height/width.

I'd strongly recommend finding a way to resize your pictures to fit into the final size using some external software (e.g. PaintShop Pro or Photo Shop or others mentioned elsewhere on LMH). PM me if this is gobbldigook - I may be able to help further.
enid

Post by enid »

Had another look and I still like it a lot - especially - the colour scheme: the font and font size: writing style: children's page: the quotes.

Some links aren't working - Roche St Christophe: Chateau de Chabons: parc aquarium and the Links menu button itself.

I would also add menu links somewhere at the bottom of the page as when you have scrolled down you have to scroll up for the menu again.I agree with points made above too.

So it's a big yes from me. Am renewing our site and have bookmarked yours as a 'good example'. Well done :D
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Elena wrote:
We were let down by our web designer and were forced to build our own in a panic!

Hi Elena

Thank goodness for that because you've produced a site that is warm, friendly and charming. And, once you've got the little glitches sorted, will be a great credit to you. Sometimes a 'hand-made' site looks a bit amateurish and doesn't do justice to what's on offer but I think that your site is a gem. I love the amount and the quality of the delightful pictures and the little quotes are fun.

Jim

PS: To those members on LMH who say they don't like 'personalised sites', have a quick look at Elena's offering. Food for thought perhaps?
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

I agree with Jimbo. This is a lovely site, warm, friendly and appealing. Yes, it would help if the links were more specific, but I soon realised to scroll down.

But your place looks absolutely lovely.

Pauline
Debut novelist at http://tinyurl.com/or89jle

http://wivenhoewriters.blogspot.co.uk/
Contributor to anthology 'In a Word: Murder'
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I think it is a lovely site having looked through in more detail, and once you have more photos of the inside of the gites and get the links sorted, it will be even more lovely!
Just a couple of comments - on the homepage I would like to see more specific info about the gites - how many each sleeps for example. A summary of all the info you would need to see if it is worth progressing further, so exact location and important things of interest to see, a one liner on facilities - pool, play area etc.
I don't really see the need for a homepage and the page Les Crouquets - it is a bit confusing and I would put the info together on one page (the homepage)
Your pool looks fab - except I'm not sure about the sunrise over the pool on the homepage as at first glance it looks more like a pond (colourwise) with things floating in it, than a pool, sorry!

Re Jims comments - I'm one of those who generally doesn't like personalised sites, but I think you do it really well and I love the quotes too. I think your previous hotel experience is a good reassurance for potential guests too.

Edit: sorry I didn't read your original post properly and you have already mentioned the redundant Les Crouquets page!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Your pool looks fab - except I'm not sure about the sunrise over the pool on the homepage as at first glance it looks more like a pond (colourwise) with things floating in it, than a pool, sorry!
Exactly what I thought Susan :wink: [but as noone else had mentioned didnt want to put my foot in it]
the lighting makes the pool look a weird colour quite dingy..and floating debris doesnt help....Im sure a better photo could be taken..

I thought the rest of the website looked great :wink:
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Susan wrote:Your pool looks fab - except I'm not sure about the sunrise over the pool on the homepage as at first glance it looks more like a pond (colourwise) with things floating in it, than a pool
That struck me, too (immediately)...but that is only a little thing which can easily be changed. But otherwise, the site looks really warm and inviting...I like the colours, the layout and the overall tone.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

I do think that 'what to do' would be better as 'things to do'. There is a strange resonance with 'what to do' that doesn't quite fit with a holiday rental. You want to ask 'about what?'

Pauline
Debut novelist at http://tinyurl.com/or89jle

http://wivenhoewriters.blogspot.co.uk/
Contributor to anthology 'In a Word: Murder'
roxytoo

website

Post by roxytoo »

I love it! :lol:

Not much more to say except yes photos load slowly so you may want to look at that again!

Other than that brilliant!