Enquiries I have to count to 10 before replying too..

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
la vache!

Enquiries I have to count to 10 before replying too..

Post by la vache! »

I had one this morning - can you please give me your best price for w/c 30th March?
This week leads up to Easter - my rates are already low season (I don't raise them for Easter as some people do) and they include heating and pool heating, so I don't think my advertised price is unreasonable at all. If I went any lower I'd probably make an overall loss. Comments like these do get my back up!!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Susan,

My advertised price IS my best price unless people would like to pay me more of course.

My properties are available all year round. For Low, Mid and High Seasons I advertise a price and for the hoi polloi that's it. Out of season it is "price by negotiation" so the best price question does apply, out of season.

On the basis of "shy bairns get nowt" I don't mind people asking for a discount so long as they don't mind getting the answer "No".

Hypothetically, the enquirer is a tax collector for the Inland Revenue. Does he give me a discount because I am paying him in his off-season? I don't think so, not even because I am a long standing member of his club he doesn't.

Fluffy
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Very cheeky, Susan - tell us how you reply!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

By saying "no it is very busy time of the year" quite often makes them book for fear of losing the dates themselves.
Cheers
PC
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Gascony Goat wrote:Very cheeky, Susan - tell us how you reply!
Actually, the cottage is already booked for this week, although I have another available. This is what I replied (feel free to offer improvements - I like Pauls reply much better!)

"With the cost of heating included at this time of year, the best price I can do is that advertised, £210 per week. I do not raise my prices for Easter, as some gite owners do, but I’m afraid that I can’t afford to make a loss on the rental!"
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

"the cottage is already booked for this week"

What more proof do they want it is busy so they better pull there finger out!
Cheers
PC
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

can you please give me your best price
Susan, we get similar enquiries too....had 'a keen enquiry' 2 weeks ago for 7 nights in March for "4 people". After I replied that the week he wanted was available and offered a 10% discount, he replied that "the villa was too expensive, if you could drop the price to £550 then we have a deal"! :shock:
A total timewaster!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi All,

I did have am email asking once ..

What would I have to gain by having 2 weeks instead of one...
I answered 'another week in the sun' :wink: :roll: ..

He did book 2 weeks and at the price of 2 x the single week which is what I charge :wink: :lol:
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Well, the enquiry I quoted at the start of the thread has just converted to a booking. At the advertised price, of course!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Good for YOU Susan :wink: :lol:
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Smug smiley. Well done Susan for standing your ground. Hope Gino is reading.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
chrismooney

Post by chrismooney »

our preferred quotes are
'the week has already had enquiries so the first to send a deposit gets the booking' or 'that IS the best price we can give you'

however, my nearest and dearest got me the complete fawlty towers series for xmas so perhaps this year the customer service replies could get a bit more acidic!!!

'don't want your sort here, or 'we don't cater for riff raff'

mmmm.......gives me and idea for a theme week???!!!!

alan knighting...'shy bairns get nowt'!!! brought a nostalgic tear to my eye that comment!!! took me back to being a scruffy snotty nosed alnwick laddie in the 1960's!!!
chef who will try anything!!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

chrismooney wrote:alan knighting...'shy bairns get nowt'!!! brought a nostalgic tear to my eye that comment!!! took me back to being a scruffy snotty nosed alnwick laddie in the 1960's!!!
Chris,

Joan and I spent much of our lives in Gosforth but did live in Alnmouth for a few years in the 70's. Happy days!

Fluffy
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Good news Susan!
had 'a keen enquiry' 2 weeks ago for 7 nights in March for "4 people". After I replied that the week he wanted was available and offered a 10% discount, he replied that "the villa was too expensive, if you could drop the price to £550 then we have a deal"!
....and I've managed to get a booking for the week in March (at the advertised price!)
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Well done Crystal! It all goes to show that you should stick to your guns (and your advertised prices) as much as possible! Experience is a great thing though, once you know your pattern of bookings, you get a gut feeling of when it is the right time to discount (if ever!).