Why do I get so flustered when they call me?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Hells Bells

Why do I get so flustered when they call me?

Post by Hells Bells »

I can answer most queries potential guests fling at me, but they always call when you're making dinner (they've just ruined the tartiflette), and you've put the laptop to bed. Or you've had several glasses of that lovely wine you brought back? Tonights wanted an address/contact for a hotel in the area so they can stay an extra night. If they'd emailed me, I could have given them lots of links, but they insisted I talk them through them instead. Nice to have some contact apart from email, but I always sound like a complete idiot.
:roll:
enid

Post by enid »

This is our 4th season - we will be welcoming back a family for the 4th year- they booked after an horrendous phone call minutes after I had received an SOS from my very sick brother. I answered as best I could but had to say that I had to go and would he look at the web site. I flew to tthe UK urgently. I was telling my daughter all about the panic call from my brother and said that in the middle of trying to get a flight some guy rang and I must have sounded a complete idiot - so he certainly won't book! Well he did and he keeps on doing it!!!! He later told me that it was obvious he had rung at an awkward time but that I remained polite and helpful.

I am sure that this how you will have come over. (Shame about the tartiflette though!!)
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Don't worry Helen..I've been 'caught short a few times' too! :D ...the last time was on Thursday afternoon when I was driving our 16 year old 'Kevin' to a job interview...so guess what...he had to answer my mobile! So I had to find a safe place to park (which took a few minutes...with our 'Kevin' making polite conversation :shock: !).....flustered and bothered because you just cannot park anywhere on the N340 coast road to Marbella I had to ask them to email me their dates as I didn't have my 'villa diary' with me...I can't imagine what I sounded like! :lol:

PS They did email me and we've got a booking (deposit pending of course!)
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

How did the interview go?
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Know how you feel; I had a call this week from a very reserved gentleman, just after dinner. I managed to make sense but I'm sure I put him off. Amazing how a few glasses of wine enduces that hail-fellow-well-met phenomenon, unleashing embarrassing amounts of enthusiasm and over-the-top helpfulness.

In this case it was academic, as we were already booked, but I did offer to contact him when booking enquiries started to come in for Aug 2008. The response was tepid. :oops:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Amazing how a few glasses of wine enduces that hail-fellow-well-met phenomenon, unleashing embarrassing amounts of enthusiasm and over-the-top helpfulness.
Same here Gasc :wink: ....Trouble is Im like that without the wine enducement.... with it...well. :wink: :oops: ..

....you can imagine :lol:
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

You could, of course, let your phone go to voicemail if you are incapable of rational conversation due to alcohol or other causes! There is something about a ringing phone that has a Pavlovian reaction in most of us.

John
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

You're absolutely right John - and when a new message arrives in my inbox (I have the audible setting turned on which pings), the same happens - up the stairs I trot, like someone in a post-hypnotic trance!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

You're right of course, but there's more than me in the house, and you can guarantee that when I would rather not answer, someone else will.
Ju

Post by Ju »

You're right of course, but there's more than me in the house, and you can guarantee that when I would rather not answer, someone else will.
Like my five year old! Trouble is she then wants to chat and refuses to give up the phone.

I suppose it shows that we are family friendly :D
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi All,

Joking apart :D ...
If a phone call isnt answered and could be ...
Maybe theyve got a list of places and will carry onto someone who is able/willing to have a chat......
It needs considering :wink: .....
How about Its a bit awkward at the moment to give you the attention Id like to..
I will call you back in 30 mins and take a phone number then the ball is in your court :wink: ..
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Yes, Ros, agree - it's a drop-everything-(well, almost)-and-get-the-calendar-specs-and-pencil scenario isn't it. If you can't take the inquiry and return the call, they are inevitably out, or the phone's busy for the rest of the evening and you don't hear back from them for days - or not at all!!
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Kayley said
How did the interview go?
He'll know sometime tomorrow Kayley.
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

GG said
Amazing how a few glasses of wine enduces that hail-fellow-well-met phenomenon, unleashing embarrassing amounts of enthusiasm and over-the-top helpfulness.
Yep! Sounds like me too! I remember last year I had an enquiry (from an American lady living in the UK) quite late one Saturday night....wine had circulated well to parts that Heineken couldn't even reach...and I enthusiastically gabbled...on and on (she had such a lovely accent!) and I was so friendly Hubby thought I was talking to someone we knew! :oops: :oops:
(She never came back with a response!)
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Crystal wrote: and I was so friendly Hubby thought I was talking to someone we knew!
Snap! :lol: