BIG !! enquiry...lend me your ears please

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
ginelli

BIG !! enquiry...lend me your ears please

Post by ginelli »

Hi everyone,

I've just had this enquiry come through from a college supervisor in Dubai for my place in France:

"I saw your advert for your house in Caramany. We are looking to rent something in southern France from about the second week of July for 4 – 6 weeks. Please advise if this property is available and what the rate would be. Thanks"

Lots of questions are popping into my head that I just don't have the experience to answer. Do I give a discount and how much? 4-6 weeks is a long time for one rental. How can I know he's treating the house with respect, seeing that I don't even live on site?

Can anyone advise me on esp pricing and vetting?

Thanks,

G
De l'audace, encore de l'audace, et toujours de l'audace (George-Jacques Danton)

www.hide-aways.com
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

July and August are the only months where you can command maximum prices - I certainly wouldn't offer a discount for this period.
If you are interested in this booking, you should take a BIG security deposit to cover any potential damage caused. You would of course save on cleaning/changeover costs, but wear and tear is often more in evidence after longer lets.
debk

Post by debk »

Listen to Susan, she knows what she is talking about. ESPECIALLY the wear and tear for longer stays.

Get a decent booking deposit, too. Something that will ensure they don't back out, leaving you with lots of weeks to fill should they cancel.

Good luck,
debk
ginelli

Post by ginelli »

Hi Susan,

Thanks for the quick reply and advice.

I'm thinking of not offering any discount but WILL include a weekly clean. This also has the additional benefit of the cleaner informing me if there is anything wayward. What do you think?

Also, how big a security deposit do you mean. I charge £100 and £50 for subsequent weeks. Enough or more needed?
De l'audace, encore de l'audace, et toujours de l'audace (George-Jacques Danton)

www.hide-aways.com
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Gino..take a deep breath and consider....

1. Are you confident that you can fill these weeks with short term holiday lets..i.e 7-14 night bookings bearing in mind it is peak season?
2. Are you going to give a discount and be 'out of pocket' if you do?
3. The enquiry is for 4-6 weeks in peak season...meaning lots of money exchanging?
4. Is it a scam? :roll:

Am I being cynical but 'College Supervisor in Dubai' rings warning bells for me!

Only way to find out is follow this enquiry 'cautiously' and see where it leads.
ginelli

Post by ginelli »

Crystal, "college supervisor in Dubai" rings warning bells for me too.

You talk about enquiring "cautiously". Any tips?

www.hide-aways.com
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

As they want 4-6 weeks, at this stage I would reply saying because they wish to rent peak weeks that you would only accept a cash deposit of (e.g. 30% or whatever..)...to secure the booking. Wait for their response...at no point at this early stage give out your bank account details.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Can you post the enquiry on the scam thread to see what people think? Crystal has made a good point, it could well be a scam. Paul started a very good thread on what to watch out for when identifying possible scams
viewtopic.php?t=2690

Re the security deposit, don't accept less than 4 weeks rent.
Last edited by la vache! on Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ginelli

Post by ginelli »

He put the name of the college in his signature. I've googled it and it exists. I've even ready a profile on him and seen his photo. Seems kosher.

Crystal, what do you mean by a cash deposit? Would he literally have to send cash by post? I'm not too afraid of giving my bank details because it is a separate one just for rentals and I keep very little money in it.

www.hide-aways.com
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Well..I do hope that this is a genuine enquiry for you Gino. :)
But normally whenever a 'cash deposit' is mentioned (I don't mean sending cash through the post...but cash deposited into a bank account) they pull out! Scammers prefer to send you a transfer worth more than the rental.

We have a savings account set up for our villa rental...not a current account, so no-one can 'set up' a direct debit or standing order in that account...we control what goes in and what goes out.
ginelli

Post by ginelli »

Thanks Crystal and everyone. I think I know how I'm going to deal with the fella now.

Susan, this is the actual enquiry. Oh, and it's the UAE, not Dubai. I've deleted his name:

"I saw your advert for your house in Caramany. We are looking to rent something in southern France from about the second week of July for 4 – 6 weeks. Please advise if this property is available and what the rate would be. Thanks - XX

XX
Supervisor Diploma Foundations

Higher Colleges of Technology

Al Ain Women’s College"

www.hide-aways.com
A-two

Post by A-two »

Gino,
Before any talk of money and deposits, I would have thought you needed to know whether your place is suitable for whoever is planning to stay. He hasn't told you the purpose for which he wants to rent or the number of occupants. Is it for himself alone, his family vacation, or for a group of students on a course trip? Will the same people be staying there the whole time?

Why don't you reply thanking him for his interest, and saying that you would appreciate a little more information about him and his plans before you can offer him the house, including the number of people who will be staying, etc. Also, I would ask him as a direct question what brings him to your part of the world, and whether it is for a family vacation or whether perhaps it is for some other purpose given the proposed length of stay. Only then can you take a view on whether or not what you are offering is suitable for their needs.

If you are satisfied with his reply, then I would send your normal rates, terms and conditions for weekly rental, stating that there is a security deposit to pay on top of the rent, the amount depending on the duration of stay.

Often an inquiry for 4 weeks can transform overnight into a 1 week or 2 week booking, so don't make any special concessions, or add any special conditions until you know what he wants exactly, or you might end up shooting yourself in the foot.

My 2 cents
garlic

Post by garlic »

As an ex ex-pat I'd say it's not terribly suspicious to be looking for a longish let for holidays...we used to get massive summer holidays and as the heat was so terrible then, everyone disappeared, not everyone has a property in their home country and we just liked to see a bit more of the world. Also living in college provided accomodation we were very used to living 'in someone elses house'.

The only thing that's a bit fishy about this for me is that he's a bloke working in a womens college which wouldn't have happened where we lived but I think UAE is pretty liberal or maybe he's office based and not in personal contact with students.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Gino

I think all of the above is good advice...Just ask loads of questions.......For one where they saw your advert.?
...that normally puts scam people off.....and make sure they answer them..usually they dont...but wriggle round them......
If you feel uneasy after that dont take it :wink: :roll:

Keep us posted :wink: ...
ginelli

Post by ginelli »

Excellent advice everybody! I'm going to email him shortly and I'll let u know how it goes.

I have to admit, I'm in two minds to charge him 4 weeks rent as a security deposit IF he stays 4 or more weeks. It sounds like a deal-ender to me, but it is good advice, Susan. What are other people's thoughts on this?

www.hide-aways.com