PCs for non techies.

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
AndyLucia

Post by AndyLucia »

Bob T wrote:The only problem with a laptop is when it goes wrong. If it does just what you want it to do there is no problem, but should you want to upgrade it to do something new, you are quite restricted. You can for example put a bigger desk (memory) into it and can change the hard disk (cupboard) but cannot go much further than that.
If you have a desktop PC you can change things as your need changes. DVD writers and better graphics cards (the thing that lets you see into the window) can increase performance for editing photos and copying DVDs.
Although USB does give you some options, with external drives (IKEA Wardrobes?), soundcards, DVD drives (food processor? I think I'm exhausting the options now :lol: ) etc.
AndyLucia
If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all!!
Bob T

Post by Bob T »

You are correct in that many things can be run from a USB port, but, and there is always a but, older laptops (like mine) will only have USB1 which is quite slow when compared to USB2. I have a USB2 card for the thing but as it is an older laptop it does not have built in WiFi so I need to have the Wifi card fitted rather than the USB2 card! Catch 22?
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

soodyer wrote:
Good thread Bob
If you're like me, you probably know a little bit about a couple of things and not too much about anything else. Bob (as those of you following this thread may already have guessed) is one of those rare people who seem to know pretty much everything about everything. Which is no mean feat is this complicated world.

Fortunately for us, he only lives a few kilometres up the road and we often call for help. Which Bob supplies, usually at very short notice. Not only about computers but also gite floors, tractor clutches, red wine ...

Guess the rest of you will just have to move a bit closer to the Dordogne.

Jim
enid

Post by enid »

Guess the rest of you will just have to move a bit closer to the Dordogne.
Well we're not far away - perhaps we can lure him in with some red wine of our own :wink:
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

So Bob, what is your story for Windows Vista? I'm waiting to replace my laptop (old cardboard suitcase) with new "Desley Luggage with fancy locks and wheels". (Sony Vaio with Vista) Does it do the job better or just look better? :)
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Jimbo wrote:... call for help. Which Bob supplies, usually at very short notice. Not only about computers but also gite floors, tractor clutches, red wine ...
Jim
Well, I am certainly impressed. And a special prize to anyone who can come up with a problem that requires all of these skills at the same time :wink:
Bob T

Post by Bob T »

Hey Jim, you make me blush!
I enjoy learning and that has stood me in good stead throughout my life.
Soodyer,
Why do you need to change your laptop? If it no longer is able to do the things that you now want it to do then that is fair enough, but if it still does everything required, be aware that changing for the sake of it is an expensive exercise. The only reason that I have a laptop is so that I can go to people like Jimbo and help him out with any problems that he has with all my tools. If you do not need to be mobile and you need a new PC then buy a desktop. Cost verses power, they are much cheaper. If you buy a laptop here in France, and they are cheaper than the UK, you will end up with a French keyboard, which I find a pain. If you buy a desktop in France with a French keyboard, you can fit an English keyboard for less than £10.
Windows Vista. With Microsofts track record, I would certainly not upgrade from XP for at least a year. The first editions will be full of bugs, reliability and security. It will cost more to buy than XP, it will be more resource hungry in that 256Mb of memory (the table) will run XP and I suspect that 4 times that will be required for Vista. This operating system (little mans language) comes from the same people who gave us Internet Explorer web browser for free, they then found so many security bugs in it that for years they were having to write updates. That is why so many techies do not use Internet Explorer but Mozzila Firefox instead. It is also free but alot more secure.
I am not intending to give out my phone number on this forum (don't you dare Jim), but if there are local people who need help then there is an email address on my blog, or PM me. Be aware however, that I retired two years ago at the age of 46 and do not want a job! I am willing to help anyone who needs it though.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Bob T wrote:USB1 which is quite slow when compared to USB2
Bob,

Windows XP kept telling me that my scanner would work more quickly if I plugged it into a USB2 port rather than a USB1 port, so I did. In practical terms, rather than in stopwatch measurable terms, what happened? The answer is “sod all�.

Overall I agree with you; if it isn’t broken don’t fix it; if your requirements haven’t changed why change it? if you’re not mobile why have a lap-top?

Fluffy
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Sue,

Have you considered going over to Macs? Not that I'm advocating one or the other, but depending on what you want it may be a good option, or at least one worth mulling over...
Brooke
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Erm, I know it is particularly extravagant but I do have a lovely wide screen desktop upstairs that I use for graphics, web sites etc. Dave bought me a laptop years ago as a surprise as I used to disappear upstairs so much for email and browsing. My laptop sits on the floor next to the sofa and beeps when an email comes in from a friend or a booking enquiry. As I think of stuff I google it too in the ad breaks if I'm watching TV.

Brooke, I did love my Mac, I'd mostly want something for email, internet and the occasional trip for loading photos on, writing trip notes. I don't smoke (do drink a bit!) don't do the big girly shoes thing or designer clothes, haven't got a spending lots on curtains or soft furnishing fetish, not bothered about any jewellery apart from chain store junk - I just like computers and gadgets, they are my thing! The thing that put me off Mac's was always the price of software and compatibility i.e printers etc. How does that stand now? I always thought it was a bit daft, my friend bought a Mac then bought Virtual P.C???!!! Why not just buy a P.C? Are Mac's still considered more stable?
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

All good questions! I'm afraid I don't have the answers, though, since I don't have a Mac myself. My next laptop will be a Mac, but that's because the OS is vastly superior to Windows for work purposes.

I do continually hear from Mac users that they just ... work. But that's second-hand information and only from a few sources. I know there are Mac users here who can give first-hand accounts!
Brooke
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

My OH says they are more intuitive - and they are much safer from viruses, which I guess you already know.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

I have said in a previous thread today that I was ridiculously attached to my Mac (about 10/15 years ago now). It seemed to be more of a cult thing then the whole Mac thing or more Apple as it was pushed. Not many people had home PC's and I did have a very anorak thing with my Mac. I rang a newsletter and needed DTP and graphics software. I could either run PageMaker or Photoshop but not both. I had to install/uninstall and swap around. Not so easy when it was from about 10-12 floppy discs :roll:

The Mac's do look better designwise but the Vaios are usually cool looking too. Before I'm shouted down I guess it is like a car thing. A Lada will get you from A-B so why do you drive anything else??!!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

We love the look of Macs, but design isn't everything and I guess functionality is the main criterion, and your own take on that - unlike the way people select cars in some quarters. I'd be a Lada person, but I think we're in the minority Sue! Ooops, thread creep threatening? :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi All :) ,

Im reading and following all of this interesting post and understanding it all....well most of it :wink: [ which is probably a first for me in the Workshop ]

But after careful consideration Ive decided I dont want a 'Mac'...

I want a 'Bob' does he come in a laptop version :wink: :roll: :lol: