PCs for non techies.

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

:lol: :lol: Classic, Ros - you'll have made a certain person's day with that!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Bob T

Post by Bob T »

Well Ross you are a bit late. I left Norfolk 2 years ago and my parents used to live quite close to you in Spain, Villajoyosa to be exact.
A previous poster said that Apple Mac had a better operating system which is less prone to viruses, all true. But you dont need to run a Mac for that. A better option would be to have a PC but not Windows, have Linux instead. Linux is also very safe and not prone to viruses. The best bit is that it is free. The chap that developed it basically copyrighted it to say that it can be freely distributed but must be free, and that goes for all the programs for it too. I run Linux and windows on this machine and the only thing that Linux will not do is rum a particular game that was written for windows. The Office suite that comes with Linux is better than Microsoft Office and cost nothing. There is just about every piece of software supplied with the OS that you could require.
20 years ago a Mac was the thing to have if you were not an IT expert. This was because it had a Windows type look to it, where a PC had DOS which was just a line of text on the screen. Now that we have windows, normal PCs are just as easy to use and Macs have had to go for pretty designs to keep a difference. It is like comparing aircraft with helicopters, they can both take you places in the air, but aircraft are more versatile and much cheaper to run. Before you say that helicopters can land vertically remember that some aircraft can too.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

See how clever you are....
Well Ross you are a bit late. I left Norfolk 2 years ago and my parents used to live quite close to you in Spain, Villajoyosa to be exact.
You managed to avoid me twice :shock: :wink:

...what part of Norfolk?...Villajosa is nice.... :wink: .

You also made me understand some of this Mac versus not Doo Dah....
Actually Ive got a 'Bob' but shes called 'Lorna'......
Shes the cleverst fwend a person can have and helps me out in all parts of my Life.....and i pay her back by :? ........
well letting her help me...and making her Laugh...though not always in that order :wink: :lol: .[and yes youre right I will be fwding this to her :wink: ]

I better quit my foray into this Tech postie bit...
Let you get back to techie stuff but thanks....... :wink: :roll: :lol: .
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Bob T wrote:A previous poster said that Apple Mac had a better operating system which is less prone to viruses, all true.
:D Mee!!
Bob T wrote:It is like comparing aircraft with helicopters, they can both take you places in the air, but aircraft are more versatile and much cheaper to run. Before you say that helicopters can land vertically remember that some aircraft can too.
Grrrr - 'mice at dawn' springs to mind at this point!
Bob T

Post by Bob T »

Ros, I lived in Marshland St James and Outwell, my sister lives near Swaffham.
Gascony Goat, There is nothing wrong with a mac. If you have one and it does what you want it to then that is the correct machine for you.
Concerning viruses, they get more media coverage than they damage PCs. They cannot physically damage a PC anyway, just the data stored on them. Bring ma a PC with a virus and I'll clean it up and return in within 4 or 5 hours with no virus. I could not guarantee that your data would be on it afterwards but the PC will work and will not have the virus.
The thing to remember is that if 90% of people use a PC and 10% a mac, the which platform is a virus writer going to target? Which platform is going to get the most media coverage?
The best bet is don't open any emails from people who seem dodgy, do not send funnies to all the people in your address book and do not open funnies that are marked "FWD" and sent to multiple addresses.
If you want to protect yourself against these people then download and install AVG anti virus, it is free, and in my opinion is better than many of the paid for anti virus software such as Norton.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Bob T wrote: Gascony Goat, There is nothing wrong with a mac. If you have one and it does what you want it to then that is the correct machine for you.
Thanks Bob - head duly patted.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Bob T wrote:
It is like comparing aircraft with helicopters, they can both take you places in the air, but aircraft are more versatile and much cheaper to run. Before you say that helicopters can land vertically remember that some aircraft can too.
Hi Bob

But aircraft can't do what helicopters can - ie: hover for several hours whilst providing a stable platform for aerial photography. And at a cost that doesn't (quite!) take your breath away.

My understanding (told to me by a helicopter pilot) is that a Harrier Jump Jet can only hover for about 10 minutes before it's used up the cooling water reservoir that stops its jet engines overheating during hovering. And I shudder to think what the hire of a Harrier would cost for a couple of hours - or what they'd say if I asked them to take the door off so I didn't have to shoot through glass.

Jim (well OT - sorry)
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

:lol: oh Jimbo, you are a one!
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

PCs are just as easy to use and Macs have had to go for pretty designs
Guys, please don't go there. I joined LMH to escape. Get half a dozen pro-photographers together and, within a heartbeat, a couple of them will revive the PC/Mac firefight. Soon they're hot and angry, testosterone swilling about their ankles (it's always blokes) and ready to come to blows. And nothing ever ... ever ... gets resolved.

There's lots of things I could - and do - get angry about. But computers ... ???

Jim (I'm on PC and they're much better than Macs!!!)
AndyLucia

Post by AndyLucia »

Jimbo wrote:Bob T wrote:

But aircraft can't do what helicopters can - ie: hover for several hours whilst providing a stable platform for aerial photography. And at a cost that doesn't (quite!) take your breath away.
A balloon would be even cheaper though! :lol:

(Even further OT! :oops: )
AndyLucia
If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all!!
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Has anyone else noticed that Tesco have started selling their own brand software? http://www.tescosoftware.com/

You can get an Office clone for £19.99, photo software for £9.99 and a finance package for under a tenner. It got a decent write up in The Sunday Times. MS Word is great but I don't think most users make use of a 10th of the tools etc. Most people just use it as a "typewriter" rather than a word processor and hardly use any of the advanced functions. To that end Tesco Office may be a good cheap alternative for basic needs. You can edit exisiting Word, Access, Excel files in it.

Bob, is there anyway to completely or easily get (bloody) Norton Antivirus and Internet Security from my machines? They came shipped with a 6 month free trial. I've always found Norton to interfer with other stuff and would like to blitz it completely to stop it keep popping up. Last time I tried removing it, I can't remember what happened but not good! Or, how can I at least take it out of the System Tray on the bottom right corner? Ta!!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

soodyer

I had the same problem with Norton, and difficulty removing it. The most useful help came from the manufacturer's Tech. Support - in our case, Toshiba; the guy I was talking to said he would advise me 'off the record' as they weren't supposed to explain to customers how to do it. It wasn't straightforward, but it was successful. There are geek forums which discuss it endlessly.

MG
Bob T

Post by Bob T »

Jim, A harrier does not have any cooling water! It has a 150 gallon water tank just behind the engine but that is not for cooling, it gives the engine 1000lbs more thrust which may be required in the hover depending on the weight of the aircraft. I would assume that with all the weapons removed, you and your camera would not be too heavy. Having said that I have seen your camera, and it would be a good alternative to 2 1000lb cluster bombs.
A microlight would make a much better photo platform anyway and I am biased on that one as I used to fly them.
For the rest of you, Norton is very difficult to remove. You need to go to start, control panel, add/remove programs, and click on remove for anything which says Norton or Semantic or is it seymantic? If that does not work then you will need to go into the windows registry and I would advise that you find a local techie to do that as you can do untold damage in there.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

From memory (mine) I was asked to download some removal software which was designed to get around the registry problem.

These links should help:

http://tinyurl.com/3xfur5

http://tinyurl.com/dd2xb

MG
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Thanks Bob & MG. The control panel add/remove doesn't work. I'm sure last time I tried to remove Norton from a computer I ended up having to use the recovery disc and start from scratch. I hate Norton, grrrrrrrrr.

Oh, the Tesco software. You get 2 licences with it and helpdesk support!