In the Doldrums

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
enid

In the Doldrums

Post by enid »

I was feeeling quite optimistic about my bookings with returners in the bag and new clients emerging slowly. Now I have had 3 weeks in August cancelled and I am fed up. :cry:
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I'm so sorry Enid, but please don't worry, you will fill the weeks very soon I'm sure! I had the same thing happen this time last year - a large group who booked all 3 cottages for 2 weeks the last 2 weeks of July. They had made the booking in July the year before they were due to arrive and then cancelled due to an illness in the party.
It does make you feel very depressed, but someone else will book the weeks very soon, you'll see!
Ju

Post by Ju »

We've just had a cancellation for Easter too. And several enquiries that have disappeared into the ether. I know I shouldn't be down about it as we have loads of bookings for this year, but it still gauls.

Ju
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I suppose it is logical really - the more bookings you have the more cancellations you will have - I don't think the overall proportion is high, but there must be a correlation somewhere!
cromercrabholiday

Re: In the Doldrums

Post by cromercrabholiday »

enid wrote: Now I have had 3 weeks in August cancelled and I am fed up. :cry:
On the rare occasion that we get a cancellation, we hang onto the 25% deposit until we've relet and will claim any shortfall. They signed a contract to that effect, so we just follow the agreed terms.

In high season, you should resell but it is very annoying when people do this.

John
gh

Post by gh »

It does get to you when cancellations happen. Enid your place is really lovely, it will get re-booked, no boubt about that.
Helen
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Chin up Enid, you have plenty of time to fill the dates.
Cheers
PC
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Enid,
You really mustn't worry - you will EASILY fill those August dates.

I am so confident about this, that I have in fact blocked off 3 weeks this August at Le Gaillon for ourselves, when in fact we shall only be using one of them - but I'm not sure which one yet. So I've just blocked them all off because I don't want any enquiries about those weeks just yet. Once we've decided, I shall "release" the other two and I know they will get taken as people are always looking for accommodation in France in August, and at the end they panic and are so grateful to find something so will not be looking for a discount!

So, "Courage, Ma brave"!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Enid and Ju :) ....

Im sure you will both rebook your dates..maybe even with nicer guests...I know its annoying though :wink: :) .....
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Am I right in thinking that they have cancelled Les Etables? I don't wish to sound really mercenary, but the silver lining to your cloud may be that now you are advertising the gite for higher occupancy, you will increase your income significantly when the git get re-booked (which it will!)
My plus out of losing the booking last year was having had such a horrible time when I let out the 3 cottages together for one week for the infamous 40th birthday party, I was very pleased in hindsight to have lost the big booking and replaced them with individual house bookings instead.
enid

Post by enid »

Thanks for the support - as usual I don't stay down for long and after a good cleaning session all seems in perspective.

Susan - yes 2 of the lost weeks were les E without annexe -the other week was with annexe. I have changed theads on OD and HR - quite a saga with HR but I'll post that later when I have a final conclusion to my dealings with them.

We have French friends for a Dessert Island Disc dinner party this evening - so that'll put everything back in perspective. :D

Merci encore comme d'hab :)
marcus

Post by marcus »

3 years ago I got stressed in january when we weren't fully booked
2 years ago I got stressed in march when we weren't fully booked
last year I gave up worrying, got booked up april-may i think

all years we've ended up fully booked in the end

this year we have a provisional 2 week booking in july for both gites, that won't be confirmed until end feb, while other people keep asking if those weeks are available, so i've got something new to be stressed about.

people are booking later and later I think, apart from returners who seem a bit more prompt
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

[/quote]We have French friends for a Dessert Island Disc dinner party [quote]

Would that be a VERY large dessertything then Enid.... :wink: :lol: :lol: Image
notice the French tablecloth....I do know you meant desert of couse :wink:

Only joking have a great time tonight and what ever you said at the bottom in French back to you in shovelloads :wink: :lol: .
Last edited by Big Sis.. on Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
enid

Post by enid »

The French just said thanks again as usual :D

No floating islands but everyone has to bring a choice of music and say why they chose it - used to be a great laugh inthe Uk - let's see how it goes down in French :)
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Again Enid

You were sooo quick didnt have a chance to put my smiley thigy iny :wink: :lol: