In the Doldrums

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
alifrank1

Re: In the Doldrums

Post by alifrank1 »

cromercrabholiday wrote:
enid wrote: Now I have had 3 weeks in August cancelled and I am fed up. :cry:
On the rare occasion that we get a cancellation, we hang onto the 25% deposit until we've relet and will claim any shortfall. They signed a contract to that effect, so we just follow the agreed terms.

In high season, you should resell but it is very annoying when people do this.

John
In my terms and conditions, I state that the deposit is non-refundable if they cancel before the 8 weeks and then there is a sliding scale to give a percentage of the balance back. Should I be giving some of the deposit back as well, if people cancel? It's my first year of renting, so don't really know what I'm doing :?
brenda

Post by brenda »

If you put in your Ts + Cs that the deposit is non-refundable people should not expect any of it back.

We never refunded any deposits paid as they can be reclaimed through insurance if the reason is genuine. Hence we put in our Ts + Cs that insurance was essential.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Marcus,

Owners based in Brittany or even Outer Mongolia may be able to say “I’m booked for the year�. That’s fine but you and I and Enid are not in Brittany or Outer Mongolia; we are in the Lot-et-Garonne and the bookings profile is quite different.

Woolworths’ customer profile is different from that of Fortnum & Mason but they both have their successes.

Alan
alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

Brenda wrote:If you put in your Ts + Cs that the deposit is non-refundable people should not expect any of it back.

We never refunded any deposits paid as they can be reclaimed through insurance if the reason is genuine. Hence we put in our Ts + Cs that insurance was essential.
Thank you Brenda :D
greenfrog

Re: In the Doldrums

Post by greenfrog »

alifrank1 wrote: In my terms and conditions, I state that the deposit is non-refundable if they cancel before the 8 weeks and then there is a sliding scale to give a percentage of the balance back. Should I be giving some of the deposit back as well, if people cancel? It's my first year of renting, so don't really know what I'm doing :?
I have a similar policy to John:
"60 days or more prior to arrival: 100% refund, less €50 fee
If you give less than 60 days notice, I will try to rent the dates that I blocked for you. If I am successful, I will send you a 100% refund, less €50 fee.
If I can't rent those dates, you will forfeit the 50 per cent deposit."
Slightly different for monthly renters - they're limited to 120 days.
(And I have a city apartment, hence just 60 days - many of my bookings are just a few weeks ahead of arrival. Villas that are dependant on summer lets will probably prefer more stringent rules.)

Elaine
Lounging on the lily pad...
alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

Thanks for that Elaine. So far no-one has said anything about my terms and they have all signed to say they have read them. I think I'll have to wait and see what happens if I do get a cancellation. If I find I have problems, then I may change the terms & conditions at a later date.

Alison
enid

Post by enid »

Well I had a booking fo rone of the weeks I lost and that cheered me up but now I have had another cancellation (again seems a genuine reason) thi stime for a week in June.
This is the paragraph re cancellations in my T &C:

Clients should notify the Owners immediately in writing if they have to cancel their holiday. The Owners shall endeavour to re-let the property. If we succeed all rents paid will be refundable (less €40 expenses for re-letting). If we are unable to re-let the property, the balance of rent is due from the tenant. We would strongly recommend a holiday cancellation insurance

Am I able toenforce the line in bold and indeed should I try to - I have his deposit.
I am fed up again - this is thefirst year I have had any cancellations and they are coming along like buses
:wink:
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Enid

Would you enforce the final rental balance payment if (I don't know when your final balance is due) they cancel before the final balance is due?

We ask for final balance 8 weeks before they turn up. If they cancel beforehand, they lose the deposit. But I would find it tough to enforce final balance payment for, say, June in Feb.

Or have I misunderstood your post?

MG
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Enid :) ,

Its is frustrating isnt it ...but hopefully youve plenty of time to relet....If its in you T & Cs you should be able to enforce it...but I know what you mean.

What sort of deposit have you received....percentagewise...
I dont have T&Cs but I wonder if people do pay up readily when this happens.......Im sure the others have experience of this.... :roll:
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

MY terms and conditions say that the deposit will be lost if the holiday is cancelled. I don't think I would expect to receive the whole amount, espescially so far in advance.
enid

Post by enid »

I agree - I hadn't really taken on board what the line signified. He has paid 20% of the rental amount - should I keep that? Should I give it back minus a fee if I get a booking for that week? I am sounding like an utter novic enow. And also we are in the coldest part of France today!!!!! :cry:
Ju

Post by Ju »

We also state that cancellation results in loss of deposit, but if the final amount has been paid then they get that part back if we re-let. If we don't re-let we keep it.

I think you need to think about practicalities, if you have their money it is easy to keep it, if you haven't got their money yet it is very hard to demand it.

This has been discussed elsewhere before, note that it is the industry standard to keep the deposit, thomas cook, thompson holidays et al all do it. Otherwise what is the point of the deposit?

Some people think it puts people off booking with you again, but at the end of the day there are plenty of potential clients out there, I don't particularly want the ones that book, and then cancel.

Ju
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

There are still several months to go with the possibility of re-letting. I would keep the deposit until you re-let, then give it back minus the admin charges. If you don't re-let, then feel justified in keeping all the deposit. I don't think you would have a lot of joy demanding the whole payment from them if by chance you don't re-let, without going to court.
enid

Post by enid »

Thank you I'll do that Susan.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

The question of deposits was recently covered extensively on the Complete France forum, Enid, you may find some interesting views
here

from both renters and owners. Keeping the deposit and even demanding the balance may be the industry standard of the big tour operators, really if you deal direct with the owners, there are fewer costs involved so I think as a gesture of goodwill and with the possibility of them re-booking and good word of mouth recommendations it is definitely worth refunding if you re-let.