In the Doldrums

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

I agree with all that. I had one cancellation last year. I kept the deposit (25%).I didn't say anything to him about the balance.If I had been able to relet at full price I did intend to give him part of the deposit back but in fact I re-let for much less ( had to give big reduction ,which is the only time I have!)so kept the whole deposit.With hindsight I think this whole deposit thing is actually much clearer than we give credit for.If we state in our T and C's ( I do) that it is non refundable then we should stick to our guns and not feel guilty. Life would be much simpler. I spent ages last year feeling guilty- silly me. In future I will just keep it as I say I will ! Good luck Enid, just like the buses, another few will come along at once,complete with reservations :lol:
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

Our terms and conditions similarly state that the client is responsible for the whole sum but we will endeavour to relet at the best price. On a relet, we do not charge any admin as, in my opinion, we have few if any extra costs.

We have successfully recovered around £100 from clients that cancelled at relatively short notice. It took a while, but we remained friends!

Hopefully, you will relet and the problem will go away. Definitely hang on to their deposit until you have sorted out a new booking.

John
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Enid
Just had a cancellation for one house... one week

Its a bit annoying as someone had wanted both houses for the 2 weeks which I couldnt accept as this lady had already booked a week... :roll:
The other people have now made other Arrangements and yes I will keep the deposit... :wink:

It happens though and as its June I dont think itll be a problem..

Regards Rosx
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

La Vache wrote: I think as a gesture of goodwill and with the possibility of them re-booking and good word of mouth recommendations it is definitely worth refunding if you re-let.
That's the way I see it, too, frustrating though it is to be messed around...Enid, my money's on you to relet your lovely accommodation, hopefully sooner rather than later.
enid

Post by enid »

Well good news is that one of the weeks has been rebooked.

I am getting lots of hits on OD and today had the stats from Homelidays which were amazing - but no enquiries from either of them. If anybody has any time I'd appreciate it if you could have another look at the 2 ads below in my signature to see if I've got the wording right.

Thanks
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Enid
I know Im silly in these respects but did your first one mean to say oliday cottage........
enid

Post by enid »

Hey Ros - thanks for looking - of course it shouldn't say 'oliday cottage' !!!!! :oops: but I can't see which one has it wrong - can you be more specific please? - they looked OK to me - but then I am getting cross eyed with all these descriptions of chez nous!!!! :cry:
gh

Post by gh »

enid wrote:Well good news is that one of the weeks has been rebooked.
Great news Enid, one down already :)
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Enid,
I think the wording on both ads is absolutely fine. I would either change, or sharpen the bedroom photo on the H-R site (it doesn't look as good as the bedroom photo on the OD site.
I also think you should add more photos to both ads - I think you can have up to 10 on OD? It is worth having as many photos as possible, that is what will sell your place best, regardless of the link to your website - that will get clicked on after they have looked at the ad, so it is important to get the attention of potential guests with as many photos as possible!
enid

Post by enid »

Thanks Susan - I'm having a bit of trouble with La Vache tag - I know it's not so derogatory in French :wink:

I'll have a look at the photos tomorrow.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Now we all know how silly I am [me especially]

But when i click onto the HR one it comes up in my search bar[and yes I have got my glasses on :shock: ]

oliday-cottage-marmande-area/p60040.htm?property=60040
which is the end bit of your link........

but when I tried to cut & paste it it comes out fine...... :wink:

So Ignore all of the above and i will go back to being the light relief :wink: :oops: :lol:
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

You can still call me Susan! In fact, part of the reason I chose La Vache is because it has a double meaning - it is also quite a mild 'gros mot' phrase in French that I use 'Ah, la vache!' - well, it is used here in Brittany anyway! The dictionary translates it as blimey or damn at worst, so I don't think it is too offensive!
enid

Post by enid »

Susan - tu est vachement gentille :D
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Enid.

Your place looks Lovely Im sure theyll all be flocking there soon...

A little point on the HR site in
Bold letters is a statement saying if you dont reply in 5 days that the enquirer can feel free to ring you...
Is that something youve insisted on or is it something HR have suggested.

I wonder if it might put someone off who would like to ask a few questions while deciding where to stay
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

That is on everyone's H-R page.