Abritel.

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Paul Carmel

Abritel.

Post by Paul Carmel »

How long has Abritel been part of the Home Away network??
Cheers
PC
Garri

Post by Garri »

c'mon, give us a chance, make it multiple choice! ;-)
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Yep, fair play Garri, note to self don't post when in shock.
Cheers
PC
paolo

Post by paolo »

Since about January 22:
http://www.homeaway.com/index.cfm/tgt/A ... ase_012207
These guys are heading towards total control of the big rental sites. They now have the biggest sites in the US and Europe. Homelidays next? Or Lay My Hat? I'll never sell. Not unless they offer a three-figure sum.

Should we be pleased, concerned, or indifferent? I don't know. Have airline alliances changed anything for travellers?
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Sorry Paolo,

Looks like they have that one covered already..........

http://ownercommunity.homeaway.com/
Cheers
PC
paolo

Post by paolo »

They used to have a 'Forum - coming soon!' on this page. It has gone now. I'm not sure it would be a good idea for them to have a forum, because most posts would be complaining about their own listing sites.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I'm looking at it through cynical eyes I'm afraid.
A-two

Post by A-two »

http://www.m-travel.com/news/2007/01/ho ... treng.html

HomeAway strengthens its European operations, acquires Abritel.fr
HomeAway, Inc., the US-based owner of w w w. Holiday-Rentals.co.uk, has acquired Abritel.fr.

Abritel.fr is HomeAway’s third acquisition in Europe, where the company also operates sites in the UK and Germany; Holiday-Rentals.co.uk and FeWo-direkt.de. With the addition of Abritel.fr, HomeAway’s European subsidiaries now represent over 60,000 properties worldwide.

In 2006, Abritel.fr represented 30,000 properties worldwide and received over 11 million visits.

Apart from strengthening operations in Europe, HomeAway also welcomed the founders of Alando (now eBay Germany) and Jamba! as investors and advisors to the company. Alexander, Marc and Oliver Samwer have become investors through their venture capital firm, the European Founders Fund GmbH.

Post by Paul Carmel »

Could being this corporate back fire on them? all this talk of venture capitalists and so on is hardly in the spirit of a DIY holiday.
Cheers
PC
A-two

Post by A-two »

Paul Carmel wrote:Could being this corporate back fire on them? all this talk of venture capitalists and so on is hardly in the spirit of a DIY holiday.
Paul,
I agree with you, but could this back fire on them? Frankly, I don't think they have a choice if they want to survive in the long term. I love LMH for making me do research into the bigger picture and if you can bear with me, I'm going to post some stuff that may give you a different perspective.

The view from here is that we can only keep the diversity and independent spirit alive by working together and cooperatively with listing sites, especially H-R. This is because I believe the REALLY big boys (not H-R) are planning to wrap us up neatly in their own fancy packaging, and they're going about it in a fairly subversive way, so we're not even aware we are being sucked in.

For all their faults, I have no reason to think that's on H-R's agenda, so right now, (and my opinion could change), I'm pleased with their performance and growth. Long may it continue. I realize I am in a minority of one with this opinion and am open to have my mind changed, but the post that follows will explain why my position is different.

P.S. Actually, I'm going to give it a new thread called, "Value Network Circles" because that's what it's all about.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

I love LMH for making me do research into the bigger picture and if you can bear with me, I'm going to post some stuff that may give you a different perspective.
And we love you taking the time for doing it :) ..
Your posts are always very informative ....and rounded...and I always look forward to reading them...reminds me of a newspaper..[only quality...broadsheet...of course] with all the boring bits left out :wink: ...The Joanna Times :wink: :lol:
Thanks a bunch Joanna :)

Cant wait for the next edition :wink: .
A-two

Post by A-two »

Ros wrote:The Joanna Times :wink: :lol:
Thanks a bunch Joanna :) Cant wait for the next edition :wink: .
Aw Ros,
Thank You! :) :) :) You're too kind .... :oops: :oops:
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Dear All,

I don’t know how I got there but I’ve been on the Abritel mailing list for some years and I heard from them again this morning. Although their offering appears to be quite comprehensive I’ve always been able to resist the temptation of signing up.

I am sure Abritel has been discussed elsewhere but being lazy by nature I haven’t done a forum “search�.

Has anyone any personal experience of advertising with them and with what results?

Is it thought that the recent take-over will make previous experiences irrelevant anyway?

My apologies if those questions have already been answered.

Fluffy
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Hi Alan
I have stopped advertising with them now, but did so for a couple of years. I had quite a few bookings from the French and Belgian market, only one from the UK. I have other better, cheaper rental listing sites for the French market which I use and I can't stay I've noticed a drop in bookings because I no longer use Abritel.
The things I liked about the site were that it was easy to input details and update the calendar, I found it a lot easier than the trail I did with Homelidays. You also have the option to advertise for set periods, you are not obliged to list for a year.
What I didn't like, having 3 rental units, was that there was no reduction in price for the additional units, which most rental listing sites offered. Because my units have different capacities, I really needed to advertise them all, so it cost 330€ for a year, which was quite expensive. They also only offer you a link to your website if you have a reciprocal link (and again their logo has to be the only one on the page).
I can't give any info about the situation following the recent takeover, sorry.
Hope this helps!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Moooo,
Hope this helps!
It certainly does. It’s the plain and simple “tell it as it is� sort of response I am looking for.

Fluffy