Swimming Pool Size

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Jamie

Swimming Pool Size

Post by Jamie »

Why do guests like your pool? Is it the pool's size or shape that matters or are guests just happy with a pool that is clean and clear?
We are trying to decide what size and shape of pool we want at our gite but can't decide whether to have as big a pool as we can afford or have something smaller and spend any savings on improved equipment ie automatic dosing?
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Are you talking about an in ground pool or and above ground pool? I think people prefer an in ground pool definitely, the size depends on your preference and the number of people you are accommodating in your gite, but at a very minimum I'd say 4m x 8m, bigger if possible.
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

Thanks Susan,
It will be an inground pool and the gite will sleep 6 people.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I would say a 10m 5m pool would be plenty big enough, if that. I don't see why you would need anything bigger. Thats all I have and I have a lot more people staying here at one time, although they never use it all at once. I'd also get a heated pool.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Susan wrote: I'd also get a heated pool.
I'd strongly recommend that too - we bought our property with pool already there, and it isn't heated. I think you will get more personal enjoyment from it if it's heated, and it will also extend your rental season - or should help! We intend to heat ours just as soon as we can afford to.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Gascony Goat wrote:
Susan wrote: I'd also get a heated pool.
I'd strongly recommend that too - we bought our property with pool already there, and it isn't heated. I think you will get more personal enjoyment from it if it's heated, and it will also extend your rental season - or should help! We intend to heat ours just as soon as we can afford to.
Like you, my pool was already in situ when I bought. It is a little larger than usual in that it’s 12m x 6m and 2.5m deep maximum. My guests do appreciate the larger size but would I spend the additional money over and above the cost of a 10m x 5m pool if I was installing one? I suspect the answer is “No�.

My pool is not heated but, with the use of a heavy-duty summer cover, I easily maintain a temperature of around 25°C during the Mid seasons and around 28°C during the High season. If I wanted to extend the use of the pool into the Low season I would definitely opt for heating, probably using a heat exchanger rather than solar panels.

It’s a total guess but I think a 10m x 5m heated pool would cost about the same to install as a 12m x 6m unheated pool.

Fluffy
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Alan Knighting wrote: My pool is not heated but, with the use of a heavy-duty summer cover, I easily maintain a temperature of around 25°C during the Mid seasons and around 28°C during the High season. Fluffy
Fluffs, not knowing much about these things, what about the pool in May/June, before the water has had a chance to be heated by the sun?
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Gascony Goat wrote:
Alan Knighting wrote: My pool is not heated but, with the use of a heavy-duty summer cover, I easily maintain a temperature of around 25°C during the Mid seasons and around 28°C during the High season. Fluffy
Fluffs, not knowing much about these things, what about the pool in May/June, before the water has had a chance to be heated by the sun?
May can be very iffy but June is usually good. As I said, I use a heavy-duty summer cover and it does make a difference as compared with the usual thin bubble-wrap alternatives.

After everything has been said and done the only reliable way of extending a pool’s usage that I know of is by introducing some form of heating.

Fluffy
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

We had an unheated 12 x 6m pool when we bought our property with two exisiting gites. When we added a third (larger) gite, we wondered if guests might think the pool too small for 12-18 adults and children. One guest (very wisely in my estimation) said absolutely no problem if everybody gets on. If they don't, then two people can be too many.

In the event, it's worked out well so far. It's rare for all guests to be around at the same time and, if they are, they rub along together quite happily. If we were starting from scratch with the pool, we'd probably have installed heating but it's not proved to be a major problem. But I wouldn't have wanted a smaller pool with the number of guests we accommodate.

Jim
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Jimbo wrote:We had an unheated 12 x 6m pool when we bought our property with two exisiting gites. When we added a third (larger) gite, we wondered if guests might think the pool too small for 12-18 adults and children. One guest (very wisely in my estimation) said absolutely no problem if everybody gets on. If they don't, then two people can be too many.

In the event, it's worked out well so far. It's rare for all guests to be around at the same time and, if they are, they rub along together quite happily. If we were starting from scratch with the pool, we'd probably have installed heating but it's not proved to be a major problem. But I wouldn't have wanted a smaller pool with the number of guests we accommodate.

Jim
It hasn't been mentioned but I think the size of the terracing is just as important as the size of the pool.

Fluffy
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Ahh - Fluffy - expand please as we accommodate 8 people plus baby at our property and at present are thinking of extending the tiling; the pool was cut into the side of a hill, so was initially only tiled on two sides while the ground settled, and about 2 metres or so in depth.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Gascony Goat wrote:Ahh - Fluffy - expand please
Typically my guests will spend 10 minutes in the pool and an hour sunbathing around the pool. Providing lots of terracing and lots of recliners, etc. greatly increases their enjoyment of the pool.

Fluffy
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Alan is quite right, the terracing is important. I'm having to get mine re-tiled next month with proper swimming pool terrace tiles - don't ask how much it is costing!!! But it will be worth it as it is a major attraction and people spend a lot of time either in the pool or beside it in the summer.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

The plage can really enhance the pool. I would put in the biggest pool you can afford, having said that our are both 10 x5, plus Roman end, and that size suits us very well.I think 12x6 is the biggest people expect for one house. The plage is the thing that can make it look luxurious.People spend a lot of time ROUND the pool , as opposed to actually in it,so have as big a plage as poss too.Go for a good quality one, no-one wants gravel around the pool ! Good luck ,and happy swimming :lol:
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

Hi

just worth saying that running costs (chemicals, heating, electricity) vary with the volume of water.

So :

a 6 X 12 X 2.5 pool = 180 tons of water
a 5 X 10 X 1.8 pool = 90 tons of water
a 4 X 8 X 1.55 pool = 50 tons of water

And the bigger the area, the longer it takes to vacuum !

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com