Cheeky??

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Rocket Rab

Cheeky??

Post by Rocket Rab »

...talking about discounts, how's this for a new (?) take on a familiar subject?

Any thoughts??

I am the editor for the prestigious inventure-travel.com based in northern europe. I'm doing a feature to appear in Aug on europe with kids. We'd like to rent your property and in exchange have a lower rate than usual for the publicity to our 6000 readers. Story appears in Aug 07.

That's the whole message, exactly as it was sent.
The week requested is already rented, by the way..
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Bit cheeky, and not really convinced about 'prestigious' and '6,000 readers', but admire her for having a go?

We've sort of done the same thing with another outfit but (a) seriously impressive site (b) readership probably 10 times this one (c) site owners didn't ask for a discount (d) we like what they write (e) no quid pro quo involved.

MG
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Hi Jenny!

we've also experienced something like this from a holiday guide company - but we decided not to take it up as a) they wanted August (which I thought was v.cheeky) and b) our friends villa had starred in a double page spread in the Sunday Mail and they never got one booking through it - which amazed me!

However Ibiza doesn't really need much publicity as a destination...if your area does - it might be worthwhile as long as only yours is mentioned :D

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

Ummm,

Smacks a bit of 'Our double-glazing company will be doing a survey in your area next week etc'

S'pose can't blame them for trying though.

Robert
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Yes, very cheeky, having peeped at her website. Wonder if all her trips that she has reported on on the site have been subsidised in this way. And what's her readership, one also wonders?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Gascony Goat wrote:Wonder if all her trips that she has reported on on the site have been subsidised in this way.
Just what I was thinking, GG....

The requested week was in the middle of July which, as Mouse says, is certainly a bold request..

But who dares, wins .... so maybe some credit due there...

The thing is, I have a sneaky feeling that 'upfront' guests of this style might turn out to be of the ilk that then cause the most worries/hassle...I'd obviously be bending over backwards to ensure a good 'review'...ouch!

Like MG, I would consider it, though, if the publication were seriously prestigious...glossy mag publishers please get in touch??!!
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Ask them to pay more than the going rate as the property will be used for a commercial purposes to sell the mag..........and how very dare you!! etc etc blah blah.
Cheers
PC
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Dear Seymour Butts,

What barefaced cheek(s)! Could even be worth a try...... 8)
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Just remember who's in charge!
Cheers
PC
Garri

Post by Garri »

Jesus, Mary and Joseph! What a cheek! Now, if it were Conde Nast Traveler that would be different.

I pulled this from her website: I’m a great marketer

Now, anyone who professes that deserves a slap around the chops. What she's essentially saying is: she's a great liar ;-)

All marketers are liars, right?

Mind you, I'd love 6,000 readers for my site.
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Garri wrote:Jesus, Mary and Joseph! What a cheek! Now, if it were Conde Nast Traveler that would be different.
My thoughts, exactly, Garri! She got a polite 'thank you, but no'.

No sign of CNT yet...I live in hope 8)
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Two stylish, human sized hutches on the Ile de Re ought to be worth an article there I'd have thought! :D
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Shucks, GG, the last carrot in the hutch is for you (or CNT editor if s/he gets there first....) :wink:
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

Hmm

May be prestigious.

Since April 2000, they have achieved google page rank of ......................... 0.

Could 6000 readers be since April 2000 ? Just over 2 per day !

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Peter,

Great research, thanks! It's a relief to know I didn't miss out on the promotion opportunity of the century.... 8)