eurorelais

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Maxd

eurorelais

Post by Maxd »

I did a search here and found nothing about eurorelais. They are a dutch company and have their sites in 5 languages. ( I am not affiliated BTW)

What is good about them is they have an affilaition program, so your properties will appear throughout their network. I knew nothing of the until went looking for affilates for our apartments and a lot of roads ended there. They take a commission rather than annual fee, so you do not pay unless they send you something. Well apart from time.
marcus

Post by marcus »

For some reason many owners are not keen on the 'pay a certain percentage for each booking' approach taken by EuroRelais.

I think this dates from when the main holiday listing companies were more effective - if I could pay £100 to holidaylets etc and get fully booked for the year, why handover x% to EuroRelais?

But now, I find the listing companies are less and less effective each year and none are certain to get more than 1 or 2 bookings - just too many of them I suppose.

I can well imagine the tide will turn towards companies like EuroRelais where you pay by results in the near future.

Speaking of Eurorelais specifically, I don't have a property listed with them but have had other dealings with them (as an affiliate), and they are always very efficient and helpful. Well worth investigating if you are looking for a 'pay as you go' site I would think.
Maxd

Post by Maxd »

marcus wrote:For some reason many owners are not keen on the 'pay a certain percentage for each booking' approach taken by EuroRelais.

I think this dates from when the main holiday listing companies were more effective - if I could pay £100 to holidaylets etc and get fully booked for the year, why handover x% to EuroRelais?

But now, I find the listing companies are less and less effective each year and none are certain to get more than 1 or 2 bookings - just too many of them I suppose.

I can well imagine the tide will turn towards companies like EuroRelais where you pay by results in the near future.

Speaking of Eurorelais specifically, I don't have a property listed with them but have had other dealings with them (as an affiliate), and they are always very efficient and helpful. Well worth investigating if you are looking for a 'pay as you go' site I would think.

You have it there Marcus! You see pay per listing sites are motivated by an anuual subscription fees and not by gettting google serps.

Lets take a few searches where we play:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ba ... apartments
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=prague+apartments

NOT ONE site there is on a subscription model because the pay per list sites want your annual fee and they do not give a hoot about ranking where it counts

Websites in a specific area who get a % of sale are far more motivated to get positions for that search because their income is dependant on them being there.

We do not do any pay per listing sites unless they offer us a free trial. Why would we pay otherwise unless we can see they are ranking for a good phrase.
Garri

Post by Garri »

NOT ONE site there is on a subscription model because the pay per list sites want your annual fee and they do not give a hoot about ranking where it counts

At least that's one thing I agree with you on Max.

I had an email exchange a couple of years with a very big UK listings site on the subject of their visibility for key terms that a holiday maker would use, such as "accommodation" and they said that if I changed it to "properties" I'd see different results (meaning higher visibility in Google for the term holiday properties)

That got me thinking, so I did some crude research amongst mates.

No-one would've used the word "properties" when looking for a holiday rental.

That got me thinking some more. The word "properties" would attract owners with holiday properties they're looking to market. If owners find you then you can leverage the fact that you're the biggest and sign them up.

Which could explain why they were going after that keyword more than accommodation (or variants of)

Why would you spend money attracting holiday-makers, who may or may not use your site, when the real gold is in attracting holiday home owners.
Last edited by Garri on Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maxd

Post by Maxd »

Garri wrote:

At least that's one thing I agree with you on Max.

\.
Hey I am not that bad. The thing on fax blasting was just a thought. Only did it once. Please do not judge me on that.

We have many many internet sites and I know the games these listing sites are playing. I prefer paying for performance. No bookings no money. More bookings they get more money.

The listing sites will go for easy score keywords and say "look we rank for some crap keyword, so you should list with us".

Although in their benefit I have seen them on adwords these days but cynically I would say that is an attempt to get mroe subscribers. They have nothing to gain by advertising to get people bookings, they are just spending more of their subscription income.

A commission site on adwords has bookings in his best interest and I would go for them anyday.
Garri

Post by Garri »

Max, you're a provocateur which on here will probably win you a handful of allies ;-)

As much as I abhor affiliate schemes I was looking at Eurorelais as I had an idea for a web service that would compliment HP based on their inventory. I see they have their data formatted in xml, which means potentially my idea could work.

I would only get involved in an affiliate scheme like this if I thought it would be beneficial to our audience, not just for the sake of making money. Any marketing spiel that says: earn income while you're sleeping deserves a hard kick in the noisettes - pardon my French (and no, that's not just the name of a female indie band!)

I would also only get involved if it could be assimilated into our site on our terms, not theirs.

I agree though, that distributed listings is the future, which is why anything I work on in this field has that capability built into it.

The foothills are alive and growing.
Maxd

Post by Maxd »

XML is simply amazing what you can do. Why list on hundreds of sites one by one when xml can do it for you.
If people were really smart years ago there would have been an xml standard set up for all industries, so we could send details to multiple locations at the push of a button. Unfortnately it is not so but people who understand this concept will do a lot better than those who do not.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Maxd wrote:XML is simply amazing what you can do. Why list on hundreds of sites one by one when xml can do it for you.
If people were really smart years ago there would have been an xml standard set up for all industries, so we could send details to multiple locations at the push of a button. Unfortnately it is not so but people who understand this concept will do a lot better than those who do not.
Really? Can you give us examples of owners who are doing better with their bookings due to their understanding of the concept as opposed to those who don't understand the concept at all?

Just asking.

Fluffy
Maxd

Post by Maxd »

Ok, say you list with this site eurorelias. They have an affiliate feed to maybe a few hundred other companies. So when you list with a company that has an affiliate program they syndicate the properties to many other websites. The affilates and the master affiliate will split the commission somehow.

That is why xml is the future. It is like multi listing for real estate. Instead of all agents keeping their own offers they feed all offers out so anyone can see them. So someone coming to a particular area to buy a house can see everything that is available not just the listings from one agent.
Garri

Post by Garri »

Max, I think Alan was asking for examples of owners and their bookings increasing by knowing/using xml. Apart from the example you gave, I'm not aware of any.

However, I know for a fact that there's something shaking (going on) in the 'valley' (CA, USA) that is seeking to do something very cool with listings (not just real estate/vacation rentals). It hasn't yet gone into beta though.

The problem with the big listings sites, apart from the fact that most of them are owned by one company, is they are closed shops. It's not in their interest to open it up. They would need to change their model completely and that's not going to happen as I see it. Mainly because they've become a massive sprawling and cumbersome monster. Difficulty maneuvering , which is why I can see an upstart start-up exploiting the gaps.
Maxd

Post by Maxd »

[quote="Garri"]Max, I think Alan was asking for examples of owners and their bookings increasing by knowing/using xml. Apart from the example you gave, I'm not aware of any.

However, I know for a fact that there's something shaking (going on) in the 'valley' (CA, USA) that is seeking to do something very cool with listings (not just real estate/vacation rentals). It hasn't yet gone into beta though.

quote]

heh, care to share what this new thing is?

As for other XML people, that old giant, interhome has just got their xml together and a few other apartment companies we deal with. So I think 2007 will be an interesting year for consolidation and sharing of feeds. The prob is hotels are well into the tech thing because they have 100's of rooms to fill and need a good marketing stratergy. VR owners on the other hand do it part time and have one or 2 properties to fill, so they are less savvy about these things.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Do you know of a (few) good web sites where one can read more about XML? I don't know much about the realities of making it work, being a part-time pseudo-web-programmer. :)
Brooke
Maxd

Post by Maxd »

Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

I think my postings are being taken the wrong way. I’m not arguing against anything, I’m simply being questioning and the BIG question is

“how does one increase one’s bookings?

Fluffy
Garri

Post by Garri »

how does one increase one’s bookings?
Alan, I got 3 letters for you: XML ;-)