Web gadget with dozens of uses, some devious.

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Mountain Goat

Web gadget with dozens of uses, some devious.

Post by Mountain Goat »

This gadget allows you to track your outgoing email, see how long it's read for, whether the recipient clicks on any links you've sent, where they are, list of languages the recipient understands (??), whether they smoke or not*, and a few dozen other things - well worth looking at - a spammers' dream tool as well?

http://www.readnotify.com/readnotify/payment.asp

I would be particularly interested to know where a prospective punter is (hello, Lagos) and also whether I'm wasting my time with giving them a string of links for further property info. In addition the proof of receipt could be useful for proving balance requests sent, T&Cs received, key instructions sent etc. without the recipient knowing anything about it or having to do anything at all.

Anyone used it? Not expensive. They have a very slow-loading site (1600GMT).

MG

*just kidding
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

The more I look into this, the more I get interested - it's potentially a superb tool.

One slight problem - it doesn't work for us. Sent 10 test e-mails to different recipients and the only one I could track was the one I'd sent to the people who publish/market/support the gadget, asking why it didn't work.

More info later.

MG
Last edited by Mountain Goat on Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I am not sure how this works.

The main reason i am not sure is that if you need a response of confirmation that the email has been read. So it first needs to trigger something in the email so some fancy bit of coding would be needed, but the majority of most firewalls, Viruses would quaratine the email off to start with if it found something in the source a tad suspicous.

Then you need to be sent back a confirmation (basically another email to you) via the exchange/smtp server which I wouldnt think that Hotmail, Yahoo, GMail etc wouldnt allow a 3rd party to do so through their server without them knowing and even if you asked them nicely I would guess they wouldnt allow it because of it being a major security risk.
http://www.casamaria.co.uk - La Zenia, Spain
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

One slight problem - it doesn't work for us. Sent 10 test e-mails to different recipients and the only one I could track was the one I'd sent to the people who publish/market/support the gadget, asking why it didn't work.
Not the greatest advert for it MG :roll: ...
but you being you will suss it out Im sure and let us know whether its worth bothering with :wink: :lol: