Web companies that promise the earth and deliver nothing

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
paolo

Web companies that promise the earth and deliver nothing

Post by paolo »

I had an email from a rental owner today about a company based in Scotland:
We need some advice please. We were cold called by [name deleted] about a website, which I think you are aware of, and basically we`ve been screwed. After listening to the sweet talk of the salesman, we were persuaded to part with £200 by debit card for 2 domain names. A promise to keep the site at the top of the search engines, such as google etc. The site up and running witin 7-10 days, hosting for £20pm., but we did not agree to pay for this by direct debit, the only bit of caution. He promised to send off an imformation pack as soon as we sent the text for the site, which we did on the same day, 12th Jan. After not hearing anything from them after a few days we tried phoning several times, but he was never available (hiding) We eventually spoke to his manager, who promised to investigate. At this point we began to get suspicious and concerned and contacted the visa debit dept of our bank who deal with disputes. They advised us that they had had several complaints about [name deleted] and suggested that they could act for us to recover our outlay plus costs if we heard nothing from them after 30 days and advised no further contact with them from us. Unfortunately the pack arrived 2 days ago, the 2nd site did not materialise, the text is useless and probably contravenes the trades descriptions act. We would appreciate any advice on how we should prcede from here.
Another email about this company last year:
I have been contacted by [name deleted]. To a web site novice their service appears almost too good to be real---Gauranteed Google first page, resubmitted evry 48 hrs etc.. have you any experience of these people, or what are the questions I should be asking other than price of course- £258 .95 per annum in fact!
And another from last year:
Would you like to look at our site? Although hosted by [name deleted], an internet co who promised to get it search engine rankings its very hard to find with search engines.
(As an aside, I had a look at this person's site. It was nowhere on search engines. When I looked at the source code I saw why - long lines of invisible text on his homepage consisting of keywords. This trick worked once upon a time, but nowadays it just gets you penalised by search engines.)

This is an established company that cold calls rental owners and promises them things they can't deliver - guaranteed first page placement on search engines.

If you get a call from a company like this, and you are tempted, hang up. Because if you are tempted you are still to learn that the guarantee of being on page one of a search engine is nonsensical. You will not be on page one for any search phrase that people might actually type into a search engine. You MAY be on page one for your name, along with the village your house is in. Or for a long sentence from your homepage. But that isn't actually terribly helpful, and certainly not worth the prices you will be charged by these snake-oil salesmen.

Note also that being re-submitted to the search engines every 48 hours may sound very impressive but it is as useful as writing to Santa Claus every 48 hours - it only needs to be done once, and even then it isn't going to have much effect.

If in doubt about offers like this or anything else to do with your rental business - ask on the forum first.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
paolo

Post by paolo »

By the way, if you have any good advice for the first email quoted above, please post it here. I couldn't really help with anything too constructive.

Thanks.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
livinginitaly

Post by livinginitaly »

Really sorry to hear about cases like this :(

A company in the north east set up a company using the same name that we have traded under for 5 years (been ltd for 3). They then proceeded to coldcall (successfully, i might add) small businesses from around the UK.

Problem was, when things started to go wrong for these companies and 'promises' turned into 'hotair', they were understandably upset and used the internet to find more information on the 'rogue' company .......... sadly, through internet searches they only found our company details and website, which meant we had to field as many as 10 unhappy calls per week. Legal action from ourselves forced them to change their name, but they're still there.

Anyway, personally I would never dream of buying anything from a 'coldcall' (I know this doesn't help in this situation). My view is, if the product / service / offer is so good, they wouldn't have to market themselves in such a way.

Regarding the first 'quote' my initial reaction is that there is in fact very little that can be done. These companies are very good at staying 'just' inside of the law. Often the call is 'taped' but it will only be produced if it strengthens their case, it will never see the light of day if it shows the 'salesman' showed unprofessional conduct.

That said, all goods and services have to be 'as described', 'fit for the purpose' and 'of merchantable quality' .... if they fall foul on any of these points the card company should act on your behalf.

The 'internet' is still a little like the wild west when it comes to 'controls'. It would be useless to report the company to any 'web based' group, your only recourse (after the card company) is Trading Standards.

Sorry I can't help more.
paolo

Post by paolo »

As far as I can see, from what the email says, the company have not defaulted on their promises. They have supplied two websites with different domains and identical content, consisting of a homepage with one pic and some bad text, and a contact page (great site!) You can always point to numerous phrases for which any site will be number one on Google, so technically they are OK there too.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Unfortunately I think the credit card dispute is the best way of handling this... but even that may not work out.

Question: why not publish the name? Others ought to be warned about it.
Brooke
paolo

Post by paolo »

why not publish the name? Others ought to be warned about it.
I'm sure I am being too defensive about it but these are not my experiences with the company and as far as I know may not be accurate accounts of what happened - but any content on the forum is my responsibility, in the eyes of the law.

Also, there are lots of companies like this, and they all promise the same stuff, so it's a generic warning - just say no!

The company begins with the letter 'I' and if anyone wants to know more you can PM me.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
thisfrenchlife

Post by thisfrenchlife »

Hi

There really are too many website companies out and about fleecing people.

I always say to people, consider that it is possible to register a .com domain name for under $10 at www.godaddy.com

And get a years website hosting for around $15 at www.dayanahost.com

Both would be fine for setting up a holiday home website.

I know you are paying for the expertise of the website designer and other skills they may have.

But if you have these two figures in the back of your mind then a little knowledge goes a long way.

And in answer as to where to go with your complaint, it may be worth talking to Citizens Advice or your local Trading Standards Office (I'm presuming the message has come from someone in the UK?).

Hope this helps.

Regards

Craig

http://www.thisfrenchlife.com/