Thumbnails (I think that's what they are called!)

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Foxandsot

Thumbnails (I think that's what they are called!)

Post by Foxandsot »

Hello

I was just wondering what thumbnails you use (the small photos that come up next to the text on rental listing sites, i.e, when you do a search and a whole list of properties come up...hmm, that doesn't make much sense to me either!!).

When I do a search for villas in cyprus most of the photos that come up are of the front of the property and they all kind of look the same. If I were to use an interior shot or pool photo do you think this will make ours stand out from the crowd?

Hope you understood what the hell I'm trying to say!!! :oops:

Thanks

Michelle
enid

Post by enid »

Following advice from this forum I have changed my thumbnail to a pool shot - I like it much more :)
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Either a pool or a nice external shot - I don't think internal shots are very inviting as most people want to spend their holidays outside, not in!
Garri

Post by Garri »

Michelle, why not experiment and try it out. I assume the rental listings sites in question provide you with up to the minute stats?
So you can measure the effectiveness of your changes?

If you really want to stand out you could always use this photo taken from your site ;-)
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

We picked our thumbnail via the following extremely scientific criteria:

Which of our photos makes us most want to drop everything and stay at our property?

For us that's an external shot which shows part of the house and patio, and part of the river next to which the house is located.
Brooke
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Pool shot is best usually....
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Whatever picture you choose it must 'sell the dream' thats whats key to advertising....something people can imagine themselves doing (lying by a pool, al fresco dining, having breakfast on the terrace etc) or perhaps you have something unique about your place that might appeal?

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Mouse wrote:
Whatever picture you choose it must 'sell the dream'
Vrooje wrote:
Which of our photos makes us most want to drop everything and stay at our property?
Absolutely. Can't improve on either of these comments.

Jim
Foxandsot

Post by Foxandsot »

We're going over in 10 days time to take more photos and the pool will be finished. Just need to pray that it's not cloudy and raining (although they are praying for rain in cyprus at the moment).

Mx
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Garri wrote: If you really want to stand out you could always use this photo taken from your site ;-)
I love your sense of humour, Garri! Michelle, having seen the other photos of your holiday pad I'm sure it will wow the punters when it's finished...

...inside, outside, I don't think it really matters. The important thing, as others have said, is to sell the dream.
Garri

Post by Garri »

Jenny, at least that photo isn't an artists impression and there is tangible evidence of a structure in existence ;-)

Michelle, don't forget Paolo's photo tips on main part of LMH, some essential reading there.

With digital cameras it easy to just snap away until you get it right. Be mindful of stuff in the background, which you don't often see when you're taking the shot - composition etc.

Try staging the pool. No ring fences in background, or cars!

Added: if everyone is showing daytime photo shots then show ones taken at dusk, but nicely staged. That way you'll stand out for the contrast.

We wanted to feature a place on HP and the photos on main site weren't very good so contacted the owner for some different shots. She sent me pics of the chalet with cars parked outside and dodgy looking fence in front - surely there's a better aspect than that I said (though more tactfully). Then she sent me pics of the bedrooms! They weren't very good either, so I gave up.

Unless they were photos of the bedroom of the kinky Myla suite at The Clubhouse in Chamonix then don't bother!
Foxandsot

Post by Foxandsot »

Oh but we do have the artists impression as the main photo on our website :oops: . Tried taking a photo of the outside of the house when we were over in December but kept on getting the unfinished pavement and road in!!

I really want to take an evening shot of the pool with all the lights on in and around the pool and lots of candles and stuff going on!! Do you think it will look really poncy??

Mx
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Foxandsot wrote:I really want to take an evening shot of the pool with all the lights on in and around the pool and lots of candles and stuff going on!! Do you think it will look really poncy??

Mx
Are you kidding, Michelle? !!! this is what we want...lots of candles and STUFF going on!! I think it'll look great. :D
Garri

Post by Garri »

Oh but we do have the artists impression as the main photo on our website
Bloody hell! It certainly fooled me, but now you mention it...

It's a very impressive artists' impression. Has to be one of the best I've seen.