Cancelled Booking

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I agree each case should be taken on its merits and I wouldn't feel obliged to refund if requested as someone assumed that the property would be re-let. For me, cancellations are few and far between and I really don't think there are many people who would book 5 holidays, pay out 5 deposits with the risk of getting nothing back. As for getting a late booking deal, here in France it isn't really an option as the ferry crossing has to be booked well in advance too!
One cancellation I had didn't get back the deposit as they cancelled really late, when the balance was due, the others did, they cancelled 6 months in advance for a peak period as one of their party had cancer. As I said, each case on its own merits, but if the cancellation was very early and was no problem with re-letting, I would refund as soon as I got the new booking, but not before.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

(I know that's not that terribly logical, but that's how we do it..
Actually Brooke it was[to me anyway]...as others have said It does depend on the circumstances ....

A couple of years ago I got a message from someone due to stay in our house the following week[keys had been sent etc...]
He was ringing to say his daughter was in hospital
and He was just letting me know in case I wondered why noone had turned up to the house..
He didnt expect anything back but was letting me know...I said if I get a late phone call and can rebook I will[peak weeks]
and refund his money...
I kept in touch to see how she was[she had meningitis but fully recovered]
I offered him later in the year at a nominal price but they needed school hols...
He asked for a letter for Insurance which I sent [and also £5 to get his daughter a treat]
He got his money back from the insurers[eventually] and came the following year which I let him have at a cheap rate which he appreciated.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Ros wrote:
He was ringing to say his daughter was in hospital and He was just letting me know in case I wondered why noone had turned up to the house.. He didnt expect anything back ...
Fifteen years ago, we employed a rogue bookkeeper in our main business who plundered our bank account and vanished with the loot (she was a pro). Overnight, we went from a healthy company employing 14 people to a basket case. We explained the situation to our bank and to our suppliers and, to a man, they stood shoulder to shoulder with us, extended our credit and didn't press for repayment of their accounts. Because of this, we were able slowly and painfully to limp our way back to solvency. They didn't have to do this but they did. These were big companies and it probably made 'good business sense' to grab what they could.

Every day, when I walk our dogs down our beautiful valley, I give heartfelt thanks to these kind and generous people who could have been ruthless and pushed our company over the edge into bankruptcy (we would have lost everything) but didn't. I think you should listen to what people tell you when they cancel and not simply apply a blanket rule. It's easy to be hard with others in difficulties but one day it might be you bobbing in the water waiting for the lifeboat.

Jim
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Jim :) ..

Thats a great story and there are lots[the majority of lovely caring people out there[and quite a few who post here as well. :wink: ]
I think you should listen to what people tell you when they cancel and not simply apply a blanket rule. It's easy to be hard with others in difficulties but one day it might be you bobbing in the water waiting for the lifeboat.
I think thats what the general opinion is of most whove posted here as well....... :wink:

The fact that we are all debating this point[at length] is because theres no hard or fast rules or we wouldnt be debating it...
but by sharing ideas/views it makes us better to be able to decide what to do if this happens.....

Thats ONE of the great things of this forum that we can exchange views[sometimes different ones] but realise that everbodys views have some merit...
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Ros wrote:The fact that we are all debating this point[at length] is because theres no hard or fast rules or we wouldnt be debating it...
but by sharing ideas/views it makes us better to be able to decide what to do if this happens.....
Yeppy, that's about the sum of it. Be mellow. Spread the Karma. Do you like my glasses?
gh

Post by gh »

You'r one cool bunny Jenny. 8)

Helen
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

OOOHHH Jenny[or whatever your name is :wink: ]
I never even noticed a WABBIT :wink: :lol: :lol:

Youll see why I think this is soooo funny later :lol:
....Do you keep him by your bed???
there was an article in the Times lately mentioning the virtues of a Rabbit[didnt mention glasses though] maybe yours is a COOL Wabbitt........[or a HOT one :oops: ]
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Ros in French, the term 'chaud lapin' (hot rabbit) has quite a specific meaning when applied to French men!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

There was an article in the times about this yesterday :roll:

I dont think I will post it but if anyone would like the link pm me :wink:
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

oo err, guys, I can feel this thread veering off in a risqué :shock: - but interesting, obviously - direction faster than you can say...wabbit!?

Jenny, aka lukewarm wab
vinent20

Post by vinent20 »

Partridge wrote:
I really feel however it is each case on its merits.
That sums it up nicely Robert. A cancellation at the last minute is not the same, for me, as a cancellation way ahead of time. :wink:
But where is the time limit drawn. 8 weeks, 12 weeks, 3 months.
I think if you have rules you should apply them. I also think grey areas are dangerous.
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Don't worry Vincent, I hear what you're saying but really don't think it will happen often enough to worry too much about hard and fast rules, up to you of course at the end of the day :wink:

Have rules to protect yourself by all means, then it's up to you if you feel you want to be more generous with an individual.
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Exactly, Party - in the end, each case needs to be considered on its merits, as they will all be slightly different and all one can do is draw up rough guidelines.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be