has anyone invented the wheel?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
sazzleevans

has anyone invented the wheel?

Post by sazzleevans »

Hi

I have just set up my website and am about to commence battle in the field of holiday letting.

I am trying to get organised and create a standard letter for people who have registered their details with me BUT HAVE NOT YET BOOKED. I also need to get together some kind of letting contract with directions to apartment from airport etc and a confirmation letter.

Can anyone help? Has anyone created a very user friendly pack that seems to do the trick??

I am not being lazy:) just trying to pick so many brains that seem to have so much more experience that I!! :D

Thanks

Sarah
www.islacanelaholidays.com

ps can anyone recommend any bird watching or walking magazines that I could advertise my apartment in?

I
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Sarah,

Check out the "Handling Rental Enquiries" section of the forum -- it's filled with lots of tips and tricks!

In particular, Paolo's post at viewtopic.php?t=43 should get you started!

My only advice is to keep the letting contract separate from all the details of how to get to your apartment. I send out a pdf copy of the contract with my first response letter, and tell the client that it's for them to peruse at their leisure -- and then give them instructions on how to book the week they inquired about, including where to send the contract. When they actually book, I send them an e-mail receipt and let them know that they should contact me if they have further questions. The final payment for our property isn't due until 4 weeks before the client's arrival, and I only give them the welcome packet (with detailed directions, etc.) after that has been received.

I don't know if you were planning to do something like this, but it's what I do. :) I'm very firm about not telling the client exactly how to get to the property until I have received full payment from them...

Edit: forgot to add, I don't actually know anything about birdwatching or walking magazines... sorry!
Brooke
helene

Post by helene »

Hi Sarah - I agree with Brooke about the directions part if you are not resident at the property - although I seem to recall I read your were a policewoman so probably you are very security aware. As to details I also have a booking form as part of my website which includes terms and conditions - this is a real help as I have it there immediatley accessible to them and just ask that they download it at the time of booking. They have to sign it so accept the T & C and it is subject to English contract law - not complicated. For details see my website:
http://www.domaine-de-la-briquerie.com
Suggest you try the RSPB magazine (Royal Society for the Protection of Birds) in the UK sorry no contact details to hand but you should find it in a search by Google - that is the premier bird magazine and society for bird lovers. They will also have a website and if they have a discussion/bird spotting forum you could join then if you see anything special/unusual you could post it in the forum - I am sure you will get plenty of enquiries that way.

Good luck with your venture - we might be intersted as we go on walking and bird watching holidays - so let us know where you are.
regards
helene
paolo

Re: has anyone invented the wheel?

Post by paolo »

sazzleevans wrote:Hi

I am trying to get organised and create a standard letter for people who have registered their details with me BUT HAVE NOT YET BOOKED.
Hi Sarah,

Can you add a bit of detail about who this letter is going to and what it has to say? Do you mean the email you send out in response to an enquiry? Or do you have a mechanism for people to register their details so you can keep them up to date with developments?
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Hi Sarah,

In our experience walkers and twitchers tend to look for a b&b for one or two nights then move on, and weekly rentals are not what they looking for............As I say in our experience.
Cheers
PC
HolidayWebs

Post by HolidayWebs »

I have just advertised in the latest edition of the RSPB magazine & it has been very successful as I've had several enquiries including a booking at Easter which I don't always get. Other suggestions are the National Trust - do they do a magazine you can advertise in? I have tried some of the walking & birdwatching magazines you buy in Smiths & that wasnt very succesful.

Re people only booking for 1 or 2 nights in a B&B, that doesn't happen in Mallorca. The majority of people stay in the resort of Puerto Pollensa (as it is a good base) & then walk (or drive if they need to) from there to the various sites which are in the north of the island. If you get responses from thse magazines, it always a good idea to send an information sheet with your brochure describing the birding & walking facilities that are available.
Visit http://www.puertopollensa.com ... you'll love it!
The most beautiful resort in Mallorca.