What is the norm, when taking a booking?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

HelenB

I know it would be clear in your Booking T&C, but do you offer them any 2nd chance warning? Or don't you need to?

MG
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

In theory, I would probably give them a second chance, but only 7 days. I haven't had to even do that. So far, the latest was the day before. I have been concerned on a couple of occasions, but a phone call has usually benn all that was necessary. Most respond to the emailed invoice I send two weeks before (I started sending them a month before they were due, and they were the couple of bookings that I had to phone), those that haven't replied now get a phone call the weekend before the balance should be paid.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Mmm, well, it's over to us, I guess, to tighten up; a lot. So far, our cliff-hangers have been friends of friends - I don't want to go through that one week before Christmas scenario again.

MG
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Actually this thread is food for thought. I've not suffered a cancellation yet, and I do take 50% deposit (which hopefully as MG says should make people think twice) but I have had at least 2 instances were the final amount (plus damage deposit) was very late in coming. Infact in one instance I received the balance only 2 days before arrival & then had to take the damage deposit off them in cash.

My question is...when do you give up on people? Do you have a definate cut off point - stick to it & if they don't deliver try & re-sell it? Or do you get tough (which I tried to) but still keep getting dragged back into the 'I'll send it tomorrow for sure - honest' loop?

Both worked out ok for me - and although its hassle & worry (which I don't like) would it be more so to have 50% of their deposit & then hope you'll re-sell their week/s?

I am looking for an improved method of dealing with this - should it happen again and would be interested in peoples thoughts

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Mouse

There's only one sure way and that's get tough. No shilly-shallying permitted.

I just know we won't always be able to do it as it turns the whole thing into a pure business deal, and, although I know it is, I don't want them to feel it's just that, because it isn't. But then, once in a blue moon, we'll get burnt.

MG
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Mountain Goat wrote:it turns the whole thing into a pure business deal, and, although I know it is, I don't want them to feel it's just that, because it isn't MG
That's why I feel 50% is a lot to ask people to pay up front - particularly when some are booking a year in advance. If they are staying for 2 weeks in high season for example, that means in our case, tying up £1600, and this might well put some people off.

So far so good in Gascony. I don't even invoice people and most have simply sent me the cheque when the time came. I keep a note of the exact due date of the balance, and if it has been a bit late arriving, a gentle email has been all that has been necessary - except in the case of the family who were friends of the vendors (moaned about at great length on an old thread! :evil:)

It is always someone you know, or who is a friend of a friend, who behaves the most casually.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

50% is the norm here GG (& to be honest when I did it in our first year of rental I knew no different) but everyone accepts it without query

Actually I feel safer having half upfront.

Mouse
x
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Appreciated Mouse - but when it's already the established norm in the area, that's a different thing and punters will find out, if they don't know already, and either book, if it's Ibiza they want to go to, or they'll find another region to spend their holiday.

What is the norm though for booking a package holiday? 50%? I'm way out of touch!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I don't think there is a standard deposit as such for package holidays, it depends on where you are staying. But full payment by either 8 or 10 weeks is required.
Don't forget in France isn't it illegal to ask for more than 25% as deposit (Helen B found the link last week?)
I don't like asking for any more than that and for early bookers I often ask for less deposit, especially those that are booking a year in advance.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

and for early bookers I often ask for less deposit, especially those that are booking a year in advance.
I've done that too Susan - I take 25% and then another 25% end of January (when the enquiries start coming in)...I often present it as a 'special' book before Xmas deal.

Mouse
x