Review please!

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
CostaBlanca

Review please!

Post by CostaBlanca »

Hi all,

I am waiting to get get new photos taken as there are some minor changes being made. There is a new kitchen worksurface and integrated hob and oven to go in, hopefully new sofas, new pool side furniture, etc. I will also add a link to a photo album.

Your comments and suggestions would be really appreciated.

Maria

http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5887.htm
enid

Post by enid »

Just following the comments on the othetr therad - have you thought of making a selling point of it's cool interior. Our house and gites seem darkish but everyone appreciates that when it gets hot here and they need some relief. Otherwise looks fine to me :)
CostaBlanca

Post by CostaBlanca »

Enid,

Yes, the really thick walls make it so much cooler during the summer months than most modern houses. AC is not required but fans are still useful for extra ventilation. The darkness would be an added bonus for people who are residents - we would enjoy the relief from the blazing summer sun :)

Thanks,
debk

Post by debk »

Olá, Maria -

I like your listing. The pool is lovely, you make the location sound fun and relaxing... plus you come across as flexible and accommodating. And I don't think your place looks dark at all!

If you had your own website, I would love to see more photographs of the interiors as well as local surroundings. Photos clinch it for me. Perhaps adding some color to the living shot would be possible on your next visit? I do like the long view that you took in your photo; it created a feeling of spaciousness.

Overall, though, it looks good. We'll be right over! :)
debk
CostaBlanca

Post by CostaBlanca »

Muito obrigado, Deb.

It is good to read such positive remarks about the property.

The lounge is rather dark as it has just 2 porthole type windows with some additional light coming from the dining area but I have never heard that complaint from holiday guests before.

Ok there are a couple of things that I would like advice on.

The first one concerns the road or lack of to the property ie is not tarmac´d. It is rough, uneven and narrow. I intend to mention this point only when giving the directions. Is that OK?

My other concern is that the stairway to the second floor is narrow and very low. Anyone under 5'6" has to duck or else risk hitting their head. There is a warning sign. To be honest, I have never known of anyone being injured but you can certainly get a clout if not paying attention. After the first knock, you kinda remember from then on :) A really tall person could have difficulty though. How should I mention this?
Maria
enid

Post by enid »

A really tall person could have difficulty though. How should I mention this?
Tastefully renovated retaining character features!

OK don't say dark interior sat refreshingly cool interior :)
debk

Post by debk »

Maria, the remoteness would be a HUGE selling point for our family. In fact, that pool view over the hills is still pleasantly haunting my memory. So I'd highlight that your place is the antithesis of the mega-resorts and looming apartments popping up along the Spanish coast. "Close to everything yet private and peacefully quiet"... or something like that.

As for the specific state of the road, I'd mention it in the directions so that people know they are going the right way. :shock: However, I see no reason to clutter your listing with directional details. Besides, narrow, unnavigable (is that a word?) roads are part of the fun of Iberia.

As for the headroom, yes, my husband is 6'3"+ and I think you should mention the ceiling height somewhere. Perhaps something like "Note: The second floor stairway ceiling is low. It's well-marked, but tall guests should be prepared to bend a bit." That's not quite right but I have to run out the door and don't want to lose the rest of this posting. (Where's the "save draft" option when you need it?)

Just my initial 2 cêntimos... Beijinhos!
debk
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

We have a pretty awful track leading to our apartment. I only mention it in my directions and there I state how long it is, so that people don't panic thinking they have to drive along it for miles!
If it was unsuitable for a normal car, I would mention it sooner, but as has been already mentioned, these tracks are all part of the charm of the area :wink:
I have to admit guests often look pretty horrified when they arrive, but I just say a cheery "oh you'll soon get used to it" and they do.
It generally gets a mention on our questionaire under "Is there anything you didn't like?", but everybody has said that it wouldn't put them off rebooking. :)
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Hi Maria

More pool shots, it looks fab !! I don't think any of the photos look dark but would say that the lounge shot doesn't really do it for me. One thing I wondered is could you not get bunkbeds or another bed in the third bedroom as it seems a shame that you can't accommodate 6 guests.
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
A-two

Post by A-two »

Maria,
Thanks for posting the link, and I agree with the others. Here are my first impressions. It's gorgeous!! What a lovely pool and charming historic home with all the modern conveniences. But where are the bedroom photos? Photo of the terrace off the master? Photo from the terrace of the view? Photo from the terrace into the bedroom? For me that's a BIG THING. I want to see at least one example of a bedroom please. Otherwise I might think they aren't nice enough to show. I have never thought bathroom photos are necessary (unless spectacular), but bedrooms, yes, or I'm going to click onto the next ad to see if they will show me where I'm going to lay my head at night. That's essential.

The idea is not to give browers any excuse to keep looking for something better, rather to stop here and now, having seen everything they need to see, and hopefully a bit more besides, then they will send the inquiry. As it stands, although I think your ad is good, it's not going to get my "stop them dead in their tracks" award without that key component.

Jimbo's the photo expert, and there are some good tips on how to take photographs on the forum here, but I'd love to know more about how to photograph dark interior spaces, (hint, hint) even if it means buying lights. I would try switching on the side light on the right leading to living room at least and put on all the lights in the living room itself, adding a couple of colorful throw pillows, or throw rug on the sofa maybe, something to warm it up.

I didn't read the description word for word deliberately because I believe skip reading gives a more accurate impression of how prospective guests read our ads. One small thing jumped out at me. Cleaning. Does it include an end of stay clean? You say the house will be cleaned before arrival, (well, everyone kind of expects that,) but it's the end of stay clean that's not clear, at least not to me.

Finally, we too have dirt track for a driveway, and we show a photo of it on our website (you can be so much more generous with photos when you have your own site), so people can see the approach to the house. Our very natural setting is a huge part of the attraction, so it's never been a problem and part of the appeal. People book our place because of the setting, not in spite of it.

Added to which, the last time I stayed in a old finca, many years ago in Majorca, it was definitely off the beaten track, at the end of a very long (maybe half mile) farm track. So I would never imagine a finca to be anywhere else. It was blissfully peaceful and private, a wonderful retreat, with a similar feel to yours. So I would definitely mention that aspect and play it up, not down. It's fine to be quite isolated as long as people don't feel abandoned, in case something goes wrong.

Sorry to ramble on so long, hope it helps!
CostaBlanca

Post by CostaBlanca »

Muchas gracias.
So I'd highlight that your place is the antithesis of the mega-resorts and looming apartments popping up along the Spanish coast. "Close to everything yet private and peacefully quiet".
Deb, we are blessed that we have a 4 story restriction on all new builds but even here, apartment and housing developments are mushrooming everywhere unfortunately:(. I will add something about the low stairwway ceiling as you suggest or maybe just mention it with additional info when replying to an enquiry.

Partridge, the single bedroom is not big enough for 2 single beds and the normal sized bunk beds would interfere with opening the window. I have recently seen some modern bunk beds which are quite low and they would probably work ok. I will look into it.

Kayley, the lane is only 250m long but it can be flooded for short periods if we have thunderstorms :P

Enid,
OK don't say dark interior sat refreshingly cool interior
Yes, I like that :)

Joanna, thanks for your comprehensive critique.
yes, I know the photos, or lack of, are an issue. Promise to do better :) . I might even contemplate getting some professional photos taken. The interior shot of the lounge is going to be difficult. It requires wide angled shot at the right time of day. In the afternoon, it is probably too dark - in the morning the sun streams in the porthole windows making it difficult to photograph.

Even though the house is surrounded by fields of almond trees (which are a treat just now as they are in full bloom) and vines, there are still a couple of houses closeby so definitely not isolated. The plot is only 1,000sq metres so not so big.

I will amend the "cleaning" paragraph, thank you.

Saludos,
Maria