Scam or kidnapping???

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
greenfrog

Scam or kidnapping???

Post by greenfrog »

Hi,

I got this inquiry yesterday and it's ringing warning bells on so many levels!

Good Morning Sir/Madam,
My name is ...and I want to make enquiries concerning your vacation rental which you advertised on this website.I want to reserve a week in the month of March. I would like to know which week you have available and from which day you rent (usually Saturday-saturday). The preferable date for the beginning of the vacation is March 10 and this is flexible. A hired caretaker and my 2 kids are coming for a vacation treat as I would not be with the kids for this Holiday. I expect you to reply with available dates and the all-in cost for the duration, please contact me via email first so I can give you my contact details. I am presently in Lousiana USA.
I earnestly expect a relpy whether favourable or not.
Have a nice day.

Quite apart from hating people wishing me to "have a nice day" (funnily, I love the French "bonne journee" - I think it's down to level of sincerity in voice) and the misuse of "presently" for "currently", I can't decide if this is a potential scam or a scary dad kidnapping his kids from his ex-wife. Sending his kids away with a "caretaker"? And no, he didn't have the kind of name that implied he's a Gulf sheikh sending the family on ahead with the usual flotilla of servants!

I haven't replied. Which is a first for me! I rather enjoyed my exchange recently with an obvious scammer, as she continued to ask for my bank details and tied herself in knots on her story! But his asking for an e-mail first set off warning bells about computer attacks etc.

And even if it's genuine, I'm not sure I want two kids and only a caretaker in my place.

Has anyone else had anything similiar? This is a first for me.

Elaine

PS call me sad but somehow I feel like a "real" rental owner now that I've had a scam, an abusive e-mail and this inquiry all in the past two weeks! ;)

PPS Can't believe France beat us (Ireland) at the last minute!! :-(
Lounging on the lily pad...
debk

Post by debk »

I expect you to reply...
Not! :twisted:
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

The bit that bothered me was the word 'caretaker'. Why didn't he say 'childminder' or 'nanny'?

Mind you, I don't feel quite as supicious of him as you do. I think I personally would ask for more detaails, but is that naive?
Debut novelist at http://tinyurl.com/or89jle

http://wivenhoewriters.blogspot.co.uk/
Contributor to anthology 'In a Word: Murder'
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

Pauliner wrote:The bit that bothered me was the word 'caretaker'. Why didn't he say 'childminder' or 'nanny'?
Yeah, me too. Esp as he was writing from the US with a very anglo name.

Maybe I should ask for more details... Like how tough is the caretaker with the little darlings? Don't want two spoilt brats running riot in my apartment!

On second thoughts, I think I'll wait and see if he follows up.

Elaine
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Have you run IP Locator test on it yet?
Cheers
PC
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

Paul Carmel wrote:Have you run IP Locator test on it yet?
I would if I could, Paul - what is it and how do I do it, please??
:?

Elaine
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Have a good read of the following thread.

viewtopic.php?t=3556
Cheers
PC
Overboard

Post by Overboard »

Wasn't it Paolo that mentioned somewhere about enquiries beginning with "my name is..." are generally scams!
paolo

Post by paolo »

Overboard wrote:Wasn't it Paolo that mentioned somewhere about enquiries beginning with "my name is..." are generally scams!
Yes, and the rest of the email marks it out as a scam too. I wouldn't bother with it.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

He says he's in Louisiana (and misspells it) yet uses all kinds of British English words, like enquiries and favourable (an American would say inquiries -- or wouldn't use the word at all in that context -- and favorable), and switches between "vacation" and "holiday". And it gives so much unimportant information, and... just... what Paolo said. :)

If the IP test does come back American, and you decide to respond, you could always insist that he pay via Western Union as the dates are so near! :lol:
Brooke
squirrel

Post by squirrel »

I've had this exact same e-mail from 'Bob Robin'. The caretaker threw me a bit too! Wasn't too sure so sent a brief reply and this is what I got back

Hi there,
Thank you for responding. I am glad to hear it is vacant. I am arranging this vacation for my kids who are presently in usa schooling. They will be coming with a hired caretaker making them 3 in number.My daughter(Jenifer) has an allergy to roses I hope it can be taken care of. I have just spoken to the sponsor of this trip, they will make the funds available which will be drawn on a UK Certified Bank check. If this is Ok with you please let me know. Also I will need your contact details in the format given below so I can give it to him to mail the funds to you. One more thing , can you find out the closest airport to this destination as I am not very familiar with that area.

NAME........
FULL ADDRESS.........
CITY............
STATE..............
COUNTRY..........
ZIPCODE........
Phone number Office / cell .................

FYI :There will be one adult and 2 kids (Ages 14 and 18)..I will be paying with either a Bank check or Money orders depending on your choice.

Here are some info you would like to Have: these are my Children's Names

Jennifer 18
Anna 14

Thank you and God bless

Kind Regards
Dr Bob Robin.

Alarm bells started ringing especially after I am expected to 'take care of' an allergy to roses. (WHAT - in England!!) Also daughters name spelt with one N and then with two - wouldn't a Dad know which was correct?

IP locator shows as Michigan not Lousiana (sic).

Anyway shan't be having any more to do with Cock Robin nor his caretaker.

Elaine, this is the first of many there will be more to come so take the advice you read here.

Good Luck
Squirrel
Always expect the unexpected
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

Wow, Squirrel, thank you!

Yes, indeed, it was Bob Robin with his kids and caretaker. I just knew he was going to want my bank details at some point!!

I'm almost disappointed the estranged dad kidnapper theory is not panning out! :)

Well, if he's sending the same e-mails to everyone he won't even be fun to bait so I'll let him be.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

This forum rocks!

Elaine
memes

Post by memes »

I had that yesterday too - apart from the weird caretaker bit the fact he never mentioned the area or country he was looking at worried me. And why he would want to put 3 people in a place that sleeps 18!
Was it through Travel library by chance?

M
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

memes wrote: Was it through Travel library by chance?
M
Yes, it was.

Just a week ago, I got an abusive anti-French "inquiry" from someone via Travel library too.
I must send them bob's email in the hope that they can block him.
squirrel

Post by squirrel »

I got mine through vacationrentaldirect.com.

Just got another one from Cock Robin, persistent fellow that he is.

Hello ,
How are you today? Concerning payment, I will see to it that the check is being made out to you in good time. The check is worth 2000 Uk pounds, the draft covers the overall cost for the vacation.It includes your money for the week which is 255 uk pounds and the remainder is for travel itineraries,where I have made tentative reservations with a travel agency in UK. I will have the funds made out to you once you understand this.
All I want you to do when you get the fund is to deduct your own money for the booking and send the balance to the travel agency taking care of travel arrangements and car hire. Once I am given the go ahead to send the funds, I will give you the name and contact address of the travel agent you are to send the funds to as I am presently in Malawi on an AIDS awreness campaign.This agency is also based in UK.
I will need to hear from you soon as I will be quite busy for sometime.
Dr Bob Robin.

PS: SHE WOULD HAVE TO COME ALONG WITH HER MEDICATIONS , AS REGARDS DATES, I AM LOOKING AT 10TH TILL 17TH, I HOPE THAT IS A GOOD TIME.

Well, surprise surprise, cheques for £2000 eh? He must have forgotten that yesterday he was in the US as today he is in Malawi!! Why are they always doctors, lawyers or pastors?

Perhaps I should send a large bouquet of roses, :twisted:
Squirrel
Always expect the unexpected