French Connections - What's Gone Wrong?

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Maggiem

Post by Maggiem »

We use VisitFrance, which has always produced more enquiries and bookings for us than FC did, I let my membership of that lapse, and don't feel that we've missed much!
The other site that I'm really pleased with is Pour_les_Vacances (I think I've got that right!). It's 75 euros a year to advertise in French and English, and the site will only accept a limited number of properties from an area, so there is no danger of getting 'lost' as seemed to happen with FC. The hardest part was writing all our information in French, I was determined to get it right. :lol:

Maggie
paolo

Post by paolo »

Hi Maggie,
The other site that I'm really pleased with is Pour_les_Vacances
I think that's www.pour-les-vacances.com. This site scored well enough for me in my search engine rankings research to warrant advertising with them. Unfortunately they won't take any more listings for my department. The fact that they are prepared to limit the number of properties they take on is excellent - if they are taking more ads from your region!
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Paolo,
Alan beat me to it.
Don't you believe it. I used the exact e-mail address that Karen Viney used when writing to me but my e-mail was bounced.

<adverts@frenchconnections.co.uk>: host
mail2.frenchconnections.co.uk[209.200.83.125] said: 550
<adverts@frenchconnections.co.uk> No such user here

I'll try again at sales@frenchconnections.co.uk and see if I have more success.

Alan
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Paolo,

Do you get a lot of inquiries from pour-les-vacances? I just visited it and frankly didn't really like the way it was laid out... then again, FC used to feel more unprofessional than it does now, but it had great results...
Brooke
paolo

Post by paolo »

Hi Brooke,

No I couldn't advertise with them because they were full up for my area. I do remember the site being pretty poorly laid out, making it harder to find the listings you want, but in terms of results for which sites placed best on search engine searches, they were in the top 5.

But...bear in mind that I was researching listing sites for a 5-bedroom villa near Menerbes, Provence, with pool, and aiming at the UK renters' market. So I can't speak for their effectiveness on the search engines for any other type of property or location.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Hi Brooke

We tried pour-les-vacances last year and got 2 enquiries and no bookings.

But I have to say with so many sites out there who can tell were a booking can come from, we just booked a holiday with the outlaws (not my idea) and we looked at a few of the main sites and the same property kept coming up on every site, and as it was the only one with our needs, we booked, but not from the first site we looked at.

I am not saying you have to be on every site out there! I just think punters can and will shop around and tracking a booking might not be that easy.
Cheers
PC
Maggiem

Post by Maggiem »

Do you get a lot of inquiries from pour-les-vacances?

We get a lot of enquiries from the site, particularly for out-of-season lets (the jam on the bread and butter!). We've already had more bookings that we did through FC. It shows me how much more French I need to learn, but that doesn't seem to be a problem to our guests. Our apartment is in the Alpes-Maritime region, at Theoule sur Mer. I agree with Paolo that it is an excellent idea to limit the number of places from any one region.

Sorry, Paolo, that I got the address wrong (again), I definitely have a blind spot where internet addresses are concerned!

Maggie
paolo

Post by paolo »

Off-topic: Lovely place, Theoule, it reminds me of Cannes 100 years ago (I was ever so young back then).
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

I'll try again at sales@frenchconnections.co.uk and see if I have more success.
Yes I did! Their e-mail server was down for a while.
Karen Viney

Post by Karen Viney »

I have read all the postings that have been received in the last couple of days about French Connections and have been startled to see such apparent disappointment with our new site by Lay my Hat members. This is rather contradictory to the direct feedback we are receiving in our offices here both by email and by telephone. Corroborating that feedback, we have also experienced a record month in receipt of new applications and in hits to the site during this period too.

The new features in our re-launched website have been introduced following extensive research with existing and (potential) new clients. The new site has incorporated all the functions that we have been criticised for previously, for not having deployed earlier. i.e. refined search facilities including search on dates and prices, personal update calendar, more owner interaction etc.

We are of course very disappointed to hear about any personal dissatisfaction and will take all comments received extremely seriously but it is gratifying to us that we are getting very positive feedback here, contradictory to what I am reading on the postings.

It would seem that members of the Lay my Hat forum have identified some important key issues, some of which are about the new features and functionality and others to do with enquiry rates and our customer service.

The 2 important key issues with our new features that Lay my Hat member owners seem dissatisfied with are the new AVAILABILITY CALENDAR and SELECTION BY AREA and I would therefore like to comment below on these criticisms.

AVAILABILITY CALENDAR

There have been a small number of people who have not understood how to complete their availability calendar. Where people have raised a query, we have responded with detailed instructions and received confirmation back that the client was then able to go on and complete without problem.

If you have any issues here, please do click on the following link which answers most problems. www.frenchconnections.co.uk/for_propert ... ityfaq.cfm

If this information does not help you, please contact us and we will help you out personally. You can email helpdesk@frenchconnections.co.uk or telephone us on +44 (0)1580 755888 (both appear on our website) and you will receive a personal human response to any problems that you are encountering.

SELECTION BY AREA

We have been specifically requested by our users to narrow the geographic searches as the list of properties contained in them was becoming unwieldy. The new searches allow users to search on many levels; by Region (22) and then drilling down by Department. Our research with holiday-makers showed us that the great majority required us to narrow our searches like this and that is why we have included the geographic searches in this way. That said, surfers are able to search purely on department – they do not have to drill down to region.

The other two extremely important issues raised by Lay my Hat members are about ENQUIRY RATES and our CUSTOMER SERVICE that I would also like to address.

ENQUIRY RATES

We have noted that some people have remarked that their enquiries to their advertisement on French Connections have been reduced in the past few weeks. We are trying to balance quantity against quality of enquiries received so that our property owners receive a higher proportion of bookings:enquiry ratio. Unfortunately, the positive comments that we have received over the past few weeks, tend not to receive the same publicity as those comments which contain less pleasing experiences.

Every year we receive emails from people who say their enquiries are either less good than the same time the previous year, or we receive emails from those who report a greater level of interest than in previous years. This year, with the re-launch underway, it may be easier for those who fall into the former category to draw conclusions that it is the re-launch itself that has caused this effect.

Our web-design team carefully look at logs of enquiries going through the system and it is clear that some property owners are receiving far more interest than others. We are naturally investigating those who are reporting a downturn to see if there is any meaningful correlation and looking carefully at the way people are arriving at properties of choice.

We do recognise it is of small consolation to you if you are one of those people receiving less interest than others and it will not necessarily reassure you to know that we also receive emails from people who are reporting a good (better) response, in particular since the re-launch.

Naturally it is in all our interests to generate more and more traffic through the site, resulting in firm bookings, and to this end we are carefully monitoring all feedback.

CUSTOMER SERVICE

We certainly received a higher volume of emails during this migratory period and despite employing a team of additional staff to cope, unfortunately in some instances, we recognise that response time took longer than our normal service. The problem was compounded by the fact that some clients were emailing the same message to all our email addresses - this sadly resulted in protracting the response time further. However, all emails received were answered. If anyone has not received a reply to an earlier email, they should address their email to helpdesk@frenchconnections.co.uk marking it URGENT in the subject title together with their name and property ref. no. It could be that we did not receive the email for some reason.

Other Companies who have taken the same path in upgrading their site have also received their share of criticism. We know this from emails received in the past year from the public who have subsequently come to French Connections as a result of disappointment with other advertising sources.

It is however, in both the interests of property owners and French Connections that all our clients are satisfied both with the level of service and enquiries. Having spent the past 8 years achieving the position we now have on the internet, our objective in the coming months is to continue optimising the website to the advantage of us all and we would wish to reassure clients that it is their interests we hold uppermost when taking decisions. Naturally if anyone has an issue we would want to be the first to know.

Please rest assured that, as always, we are endeavouring to build productively on the past 8 years established experience on the site. Whilst the equilibrium may have been temporarily disrupted in recent weeks, we are confident that future strategies and enhanced functionality of the website will continue to move us in the right direction, both from the "users" point of view and for our property owners.

We are also in the process of improving the search interface for complete beginners (i.e. people who know nothing about France) so that they can search by more than just area and activity.

We have carefully taken stock of all previous criticism of the old site and incorporated demands from both surfers and owners. Unfortunately, we know we cannot please all people all of the time but will continue to address where necessary, any constructive changes required.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Hi Karen,

Take a look at this other forum

http://forums.livingfrance.com/messages ... orumID=283

It's not just Lay My Hat folks who are moaning.
Cheers
PC
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Hi Karen,

Thank you for addressing our concerns here... I'm sure it's much appreciated by all.

I am in fact one of those people who e-mailed FC initially to report that I really liked the new site layout. I do think the page designs are much more attractive, and I love that we can customize much of the site ourselves (and I understand that there's more of this to come). I still think the improvements were vast from a design standpoint.

I am, however, experiencing a significant lack of inquiries compared to the previous year. When we first signed up, we did so in April and had enough interest to book half of the on-season, and that was before I got the hang of special offers and late availability. Last year, we were essentially full by this point; this year we are less than half full. Our inquiry to booking ratio was something between 3 to 1 and 2 to 1.

I must say that it as a consumer, whether the reduced rate of bookings from FC is due to the new design or not is not really what I'm worried about. I'm just worried that we're having to work harder to book.

As to the availability calendar, I haven't had any problems actually using it -- but it is a bit unwieldy. I recently signed up for a free trial at holidaylets.net, and their calendar interface was very smooth and intuitive. The FC interface is a bit overwhelming, though it isn't that different in implementation.

I never did like the geographical search (NE NW SE SW etc.), but that's because I knew where my property was, so that's a biased opinion. Perhaps it would be useful to add that back in as an alternative option to starting with a regional search... but I can't speak to how popular that might or might not be and whether it's worth what time it would take to program and debug that.

FYI, our property reference number is 4292... and although my father, Jerry, pays the bill for the site and owns the property, I handle all the administration of it. His name is signed to the e-mail communication to French Connections, but in nearly all cases, I'm writing it and he's sent a blind carbon copy.

Cheers,
Brooke
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Paul,

You responded to Karen Viney's posting within 10 minutes. Was that really sufficient time to read, inwardly digest everything she had to say and post your response?

Not everyone, even on livingfrance, is moaning. One of the postings there is from a client. That's the person we all seem to forget when we get excited about things like Search Engine Ratings.
As someone who has just made a rental booking for a property on the FC website I can only speak from a consumer point of view; but I found the site user friendly, informative, quick to load and easy to navigate. I found what I wanted easily. I was impressed.

I looked at two or three other sites but they did not seem as appealing as FC and certainly not as immediately informative. Some had such a 'busy' design I found them exhausting.

Sue

PS I have absolutely no association with FC at all - apart from successfully using them to find somewhere to rent!
It's easy enough to blame (moan about) the Rental Site for a downturn in enquiries but, in an ever more competitive market, it's just possible that the problem is the property itself.

In common with many property owners I've had a downturn from all sources, except repeats.

Do I think it's all the fault of the Rental Sites I use? The simple answer is - NO.

Do I think it might have something to do with what I am offering and how I am presenting it. The simple answer is - YES.

Alan
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Hi Alan,

Maybe I was a little quick of the block's, but the posting you quote is the only positive one I have seen as yet.
Cheers
PC
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Alan,

You're right, it's easy to find external sources of blame for what may be an internal problem.

However, our advert on FC did smashingly well last year and is not doing that well this year. We haven't changed the copy significantly. We do have better pictures and will update them when we renew our subscription, which I think we still will. Seven weeks booked is nothing to sneer at, and FC is still paying for itself.

But my entire point was that, all other things being roughly equal, the drop in inquiry rate is so dramatic that other things must be going on. The formula we've been using for success is no longer as successful, and the biggest change to it has been the FC site. It's simply the most obvious solution.

The most obvious solution is not always the true solution, of course, but it's not clear to me yet that our inquiry drop isn't partially due to the FC update.

I think a big part of it, for us, may be that we appear somewhere on page 2-3 of the results when one does a general property search for our area. That result doesn't change at all the way it does on other sites, which rotate which property appears first.

I'd like to hear Karen talk about FC's philosophy on that. As they post more advertisements, how do they plan to display their lengthening results? Some sites rotate the rankings randomly, others do so based on the most recently updated availability page, and I think I remember one that factored advertisement seniority into the rankings.

I think that offering a sort by price or occupancy is a great idea from a vacationer's perspective. From an owner's perspective, I'd like the chance to at least catch the client's eye before being relegated to the middle of the rankings because my property is priced moderately and sleeps a moderate 4-6.

Cheers!
Brooke