Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Choosing a domain name
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

How to build your own personal website from scratch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paolo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tansy,

This is a pain isn't it? It's not a habitual thing because I have set up several hosting accounts with them and it's been swift and painless. I would call them on their billing/sales number:
001 310-314-1608
and ask what the problem is, and can you just try to go through the process again in case you entered any credit card details wrong.

I would call before 5pm your time, which is 8am California time, so you should get through more quickly - they are available on the phone 24 hours.

Trying another hosting service is an option, but they may be holding that domain name for you.

Let us know what happens. Smile
vrooje

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paolo,

Do you think it would help if Tansy mentions that she's a referral from you, a repeat client?
paolo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is a problem with her payment going through, I doubt it - it is probably out of their control.
tansy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we're cooking on gas!! Just got a big apology and the account is set up!

So it does pay the odd snooty email!

normandybeachrental.com is mine....do I now set up an email
address with our present provider - is that the correct thing to do....I don't quite understand what ipowerweb are saying re emails...I think I have addresses there as well....am I right?
vrooje

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tansy,

I'm guessing it's much like my host -- you can set up your own e-mails now, e.g. blahblah@normandybeachrental.com. You can set up to check them separately, or you can probably have them forward to whatever your normal e-mail is.

For our site, we have the standard info@ e-mail, and I've created a few other e-mail accounts; two for my parents as well as a couple of extras for different rental sites we advertise on (rent@ and gite@). The latter just forward to the info@ e-mail, but it helps me easily separate my inquiries according to their source.

You could do something like that, and also set up a tansy@ e-mail as well... maybe a webmaster@ or something similar. Your choice.

Cheers!
-Brooke
ravetildon

Location: I love Travel! - We Are Based Around San Francisco, California

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: info Reply with quote

I am also a big fan of using keywords in the domain name. You will have a much easier time ranking if you use a keyword enriched domain name then someone who isn't.

You just have to figure out if you want to use a keyword domain name or have a special brand name that you want. What's more important to you?
ourinns

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to choose between them... just register both and map them onto the same webspace.

Arnold
ravetildon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: info Reply with quote

If you map em both to the same web space it wont make any difference...
ourinns

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it will.

Look at chambres-dhotes.co.uk and chambre-dhote.org. They both use exactly the same webspace.

Each site retains it's own domain name in the address bar throughout therefore you can promote each one separately.

Arnold
ravetildon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: yikes Reply with quote

Yes, you can do that, but now you are producing a web site with duplicate content.

Now if someone goes into there Google webmaster tools & reports you both you sites are most likely going to get banned in Google for spamming their index...

Good Luck Smile
ourinns

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly but the sites don't have to be duplicates and there's the geographic difference too from the .org and .co.uk.

The sites don't need to be the same: for example, ourgites.org and chambre-dhote.org are also mapped onto the same webspace and have totally different content.

Duplication is, in many cases, of google's own making in that they do geographic targeting so if you've a website that appeals to people in more than one country, you have to duplicate that content in all of the countries. I suspect that in such instances they probably wouldn't count as being duplicates in that they'd never appear one after another in a list of search results. Obviously such sites would be in "the index" more than once but then the geographic targeting means that, in practical terms, there isn't a single index but rather one for each country (eg google.co.uk gives quite different results from google.us does and google.com used from the UK isn't the same as google.co.uk either).

Arnold
ravetildon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: info Reply with quote

If you want to apply geographic targeting you have to set up your site infrastructure different...

I did a post about it not too long ago...
ourinns

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't find the post.

I'm not sure that it's so simple as structuring the website differently though. Yes, you can tell google that a portion of your site is aimed at, say, the UK market whilst another is aimed at the US market, but that only sorts out the problem in respect of google.

At present, I'm not aware of any way of telling yahoo that a portion of the site is aimed at a particular geographic area nor for MSN (not sure if they use geo targeting though). Also, the google option is currently limited to specifying just one geographic target per domain/subdomain.

You could have, as I already have and you will have at some point, the situation where the pages for a particular section of the site would be of interest to people in more than one country.

For example, we've a fair chunk of properties listed in France. Those properties are of interest to those living in the UK (notionally using google.co.uk) but similarly of interest to those living in the US (notionally using google.us although that's not quite an exact equivalent).

I don't see any way that you can possibly do well in both countries unless you have hosting in both countries (which we do). If I only host in the UK, then I'll do well in UK based searches (either google.co.uk or google.com used from the UK, which don't give the same results). If I only host in the US then I'll only do well in US based searches (effectively google.com used from the US). Naturally, yahoo.com and yahoo.co.uk, etc. also give different results.

So you're bound to be "duplicating" content to some extent. Having said that, the US sites do refer to "vacation rental" rather than "self-catering gites" so it's not 100% duplication. And, of course, someone using exactly the same search string from their computer in the US will get a different sequence of results from someone from their computer in the UK.

The differences have quite a radical effect on the traffic on a site too. For instance, in my own case a move from US to UK hosting lifted my traffic thirty fold (see http://www.laymyhat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6272).

All that's before you even consider geographic domains (.co.uk and whatnot) which muddy the water even more.

Arnold
ravetildon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: info Reply with quote

The preferred method is using subdomains in front of your main domain for best ranking without getting in trouble with search engines.

california.com
uk.california.com
country-code.california.com

You will not be penalized by google, msn or yahoo. They understand that you are using geo targeting. It's best to convert the pages to each language.
ourinns

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The subdomain method only works with google which loses the benefit of searches from yahoo, msn, etc. If it were possible to tell all the search engines where the target audience was then, yes, that would be the way to go but, at the moment, you can't therefore you need separate domains and separate hosting.

As I say, in reality, the content isn't duplicated in the index as there are many separate indexes corresponding to each geographic area. Even within Europe there's quite a difference eg on moving from German hosting to UK hosting we trebled our own traffic which implies that we'd moved up the google.co.uk, yahoo.co.uk, etc. listings considerably. So, even if we had retained the German hosting and duplicated the domain, the entries would never have appeared together on a search result.

I have tried both subdomains and separate domains on the google geotargeting and you only get a fraction of the advantage that you get by having separate hosting in your target country.

Arnold
How to build your own personal website from scratch