Advice needed re prospective guest

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
greenfrog

Advice needed re prospective guest

Post by greenfrog »

Hi all,

Many times on this forum people advise each other to follow their gut instinct and I generally agree. But as my gut instinct would lead to me losing a week's rental at a time when my place is empty for four weeks, I wanted to ask some advice from you wise people.

Let me explain:
On Wednesday, one of the sites I list on came to me with an inquiry for next week. I said yes, happily, cos it's empty as a ghost town til mid-March. This site takes a 20 per cent commission from the renter, so the rate he pays is higher than I charge for a direct booking. (I still get the same).

So when he asked them for a discount, I wasn't completely surprised, except that he wanted more than 20 per cent off. As this would seriously eat into what I get, I counter-offered a little over 10 per cent. He said yes to this yesterday so should have paid a deposit today.

Just now I got a message from the manager of another site I list on, where I pay the commission (well worth it for the bookings I get), saying she had an inquiry for the same week. Immediately suspicious, I told her I had a booking, and asked who her inquirer was. Yep, same guy.

Now, I can understand that he would want to shop around for the best deal, but he had already said yes to the first offer. If I accepted the second site, I would make significantly less, because I pay commission to the site to handle the booking, but it's the same rate as on my rent-by-owner sites.

Needless to say, I refused the second inquiry.

Still no deposit from the first offer - and I'm inclined to tell this guy to get lost. I fear he will turn out to be high-maintenance as a guest as well. Trouble is, the apartment is empty since last week and I have no bookings until mid-March - my longest empty period. :(

Should I swallow my pride and accept (assuming he does cough up for that first offer)? Or stick to my principles and bite the loss? Am I taking this too personally? Am I not yet a hard-headed businesswoman? :roll: :) :(

Thanks for any advice.

Elaine
Last edited by greenfrog on Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lounging on the lily pad...
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

MMM...

Hi Elaine....So to recap would you get less off the second enquiry than the first....sorry it lost me a bit...surely the second site would be the normal price.....without having to pay the commission [even without the extra 10% off] to you antway.... so really hes just booking with you directly.... :? :wink:
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

Hi Ros,

No, I pay commission on the rate on the second one so I would make less. If he came to me on one of the by-owner listing sites, then I'd get my normal rate.

Sorry that was unclear - I shall edit original entry to clarify! Thanks for pointing it out.

Elaine.
A-two

Post by A-two »

Elaine,
I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but more than likely, he doesn't want anything more to do with your place at any price. I know you mean well, but......

If I saw a coat in a store at one price and asked the assistant to put it aside while I went to the bank for some money, then on my way there, saw the same coat for less, I would buy it there and then and only go back to the first store to thank them, but not to hold it for me anymore.

I think it was a mistake to turn down his second inquiry. Who cares whether you make an extra buck here or lose a buck there, what matters is that the guest can get it for the cheapest price he has seen it advertised and if you refuse to give it to him once he's found it, well, you are not being fair in my opinion.

Personally, I keep all my rates the same, wherever they are advertised, because I think it's not a good business practise to be inconsistent, (as you have discovered), but on a couple of occasions, I had an inquiry saying they had seen it cheaper somewhere else. It was a rate I forgot to update. I honored the cheaper rate, then instantly changed the site.

It's important to remember that it's all about them, not about you and people want to feel you care about them. If he does book with you at all, (I somehow doubt it), make sure you put out an extra vase of flowers, or bottle of wine, because he's a very nice person not to hold it against you. Most would.
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

As has been said so many times by the 'wise ones' a booking is not confirmed until deposit paid. So on that basis, if he has found a way that is better for him then I would bite my lip hard and accept I guess, on the basis that if he had of gone the other way first you would have, so no difference really. It's the best way to look at it and keeps you sane :lol:

I still don't fully understand the difference in the two sites regarding what price is advertised and what you get, so can't comment on that other than to say I don't think it's unreasonable to have a higher advertised cost on one site (to incorporate charges) than on another, in the same way that not all shops have the same goods at the same price. Personally I wouldn't do it but that's because I couldn't be bothered with the possible hassle of explaining it to punters if they asked me.
Last edited by Partridge on Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Pauline...

This might sound strange but he might not even realise its the same place...I often get 2 or more Enq from the same people on different websites after Ive said the houses have been booked..... :wink:
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

Thanks for the straight talk and the sound business advice. Joanna, I take your point about the cost to the guest.

I had only recently signed up with the listing site that charges renters so this was my first inquiry and I hadn't fully thought through the pricing details. What you say about keeping prices for the renter the same across the board makes perfect sense so I will have to look at this site more closely and decide if it's worth staying with them. Because then I'm giving the site 20 per cent just for finding the booking, not for managing it, which seems very steep. Unless it brings in lots of bookings, I guess.

Re this particular inquiry, I was a little miffed at the thought he said yes and then went looking elsewhere. (Still taking things too personally! Clearly still a newbie... :? ) However, it turns out he had already inquired with the other site but hadn't received the confirmation e-mail. As that site manager knows him - he's a returning guest - and he's not likely to take it at the increased rate, I told her to go ahead with the booking. So hopefully the booking is salvaged!

Thanks again - off now to sort out the rates on the other site!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I've just had two enquiries from the same guy, from two different sites. He didn't want to book though, just wanted to know how much an airport transfer would cost him. :? . As I don't offer them, I'm not sure why he was trying me.
A-two

Post by A-two »

Elaine,
Glad it seems to be working out. Just be careful that if he goes ahead, the other site doesn't try and charge you the 20% anyway. I suggest you keep a copy of his first inquiry, to show them (if needed) that he had already made inquiries through the other site before contacting you thru them. If he's a repeat guest, I don't understand why he is going this route anyway. Perhaps I'm misreading the situation, but you might want to explain to him that some of the sites you advertise on charge a commission, and that in future, he can always obtain the best rate by contacting you directly.

I agree with the argument that not all goods are the same price in every store, but the difference here is that when you receive an inquiry, you don't always know the source. If someone phones and asks the rate for the week, you would have to ask where they saw the place advertised, and if they can't remember, which is usually the case, then how do you know what to say? And if you say one price, and they have seen it different, it engenders mistrust, which is not a good way to start off. That's why I try not to do it, but that's just me.

What annoys me are the freebie listing sites that add my place without my permission, or don't take my ad down after I don't renew, and are advertising old rates.
Last edited by A-two on Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

However, it turns out he had already inquired with the other site but hadn't received the confirmation e-mail.
Does that mean that theyre not passing the enquiries quickly onto you........So in theory he could have gone somewhere else but ended up finding you again[albeit on another site]
....I know what I mean and if anyone else does itll be a bit scarey :shock:....
If theyre charging you 20% I would expect better service than this :evil:

I am on 1 site[the owner lists here] that charges commission[Its not something i generally do] but i only let her have the offpeak times......
But what has happened is that I have managed to send her 4 enquiries that I couldnt take as Ive been booked which she has then converted and she has passed some commission back to me which has helped pay for some of the sites Im on......
My point is ....
We were talking today about the fact that I answer my emails quickly within half an hour usually...and so does she...so people usually get my initial reply and then her follow up reply within Id say an hour and I think thats why she/weve converted them..before theyve gone elsewhere.
I think this really makes a difference....
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

Help!

It just got more complicated.

The inquirer has now written to both sites explaining that he contacted the second one first (if that makes sense)
and is not sure what to do.

So, should I let him decide? Or is it up to me to choose? If so, should I insist that the first offer that I received is the one that's honoured? (If so, I will let him have it at the lower rate to him - I think Joanna's right about the rates).

I'm inclined to think that I should honour the first offer I got but he may feel he wants to go with the first people he approached (even though they confirmed availability after the others). He still wants the apartment, I still want the booking - I'm just not sure what the protocol is for proceeding.

Sorry for leaving you as confused as me but I am a bit lost in this - it's the first time I've had to deal with anything like this.

Thanks!
Elaine
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

If someone phones and asks the rate for the week, you would have to ask where they saw the place advertised, and if they can't remember, which is usually the case, then how do you know what to say? And if you say one price, and they have seen it different, it engenders mistrust, which is not a good way to start off. That's why I try not to do it, but that's just me.
Agreed Joanna, which is why I also wouldn't choose to do it, sounds hassle to me :?

Elaine, sounds a bit like multiple estate agents to me. I don't know the legalities but would assume if the second site (which is his preference) can prove the enquiry came to them first then it would be ok to proceed. If he has taken the initiative himself then maybe you'll have to wait and see the what the two sites come back and say, let us know. However, don't fret too much, lesson learned and I'm sure you'll take steps to avoid the same situation happening again :wink:
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

I have told the site that charged him more that they can offer the place to him at the same rate as the other site. Both sites are aware of this so I think I'll let the inquirer decide, unless either site feels they have some prior right.

I will have to do something about the higher rate on that site. They don't specify that the rate includes their commission so that the renter thinks I have different rates on different sites, when, in fact, "my" rate is the same. I think I may follow Ros's lead and limit them to offpeak times only. If they don't perform, I'll take the apartment off that site.

Fingers crossed that it sorts itself out!!

Thanks to everyone for their input - I'll let you know what happens.
Elaine
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Elaine :wink: ....

Do you have many adverts with normal listing sites....
How are they responding.......I find that your best to maybe have more of them than this commission lark..........

Especially now as it seems your place is sought after......

Not many commission sites would let you do as i do...
but its only a small site... and as my peak weeks book really easily that was the condition that i joined........to be honest lots of my off peaks gone this year as well so Im really chuffed :wink:

Its all a learning curb though...made easier as we have this forum to talk things through on......What an asset it is :wink:
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Ros wrote: Its all a learning curb though..
Ros, I'm sure you didn't mean to say that! :wink:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be