Advice needed re prospective guest

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Of course not GG...But I like it :wink:

.....Bit like the 'worlds my Lobster'...so from now on itll be the 'learning curb'....to keep you on the straight and narrow[pavement that is] and not falling into the road.....
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Bit like the 'worlds my Lobster'...so from now on itll be the 'learning curb'....to keep you on the straight and narrow[pavement that is] and not falling into the road.....
I also like it ... as you know I have a new 'curb' outside my house now and its still learning (I had to reposition one of the bricks yesterday when it 'fell' over) :D

On the agency thing....isn't it more about which agency presents the enquiry first? If (as I understand it and apologies if I don't :oops: ) the 2nd agency came to you with the enquiry later than the first (even tho' they had it first)...surely thats their problem, to explain to the client they were late getting to you?
Personally my procedure would have been; explain to the 2nd agency that I had already agreed a reservation & was awaiting a deposit, if it didn't arrive in X days then I would re-contact them.
I would then have contacted the enquirer to say I now have a 2nd enquiry however I've advised them you are at the deposit stage...please confirm you are going ahead...if I don't hear back from you with 48hrs etc etc & then put a read receipt on it.
The fact this person (who is the same person!) shopped around is unimportant. I would always contact the 1st booker whilst explaining what I'm doing to the 2nd.
He would then have had the opportunity (as the 1st person) to say; no thanks I've found you're cheaper with another agency...end of confusion. He chooses to go with 2nd agency on price

I don't think I would be too bothered that you had 2 prices...these things happen according to charges you incur, thats business and happens in the hotel industry all the time. Why should you absorb the costs of the agency?
The onus is on the client & I would have been happy to have found you cheaper elswhere, cancelled my initial enquiry & re-booked

Am I making it too complicated? :?

Mouse (with a bit of a headache :D )
x
Last edited by Mouse on Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

as you know I have a new curb outside my house now and its still learning (I had to reposition one of the bricks yesterday when it 'fell' over)
As we all know from previous posts that you didnt really want the new pavement...
your not 'helping' it fall over are you mousie...brick by brick...and making yourself..a nice little rockery in the garden with the proceeds. :shock: ..Image
Im sure your 'learning kerb' will soon learn to do as its told and become smaller. :roll: :lol: .......
Am I making it too complicated?

Mouse (with a bit of a headache )
Eh sorry to says this :( Mousie as you are another of my special animals fwends on here].....[and i know this is a bit rich especially coming from someone who can complicate for England[as well as chat]
but yes...... Im afraid.....and dya think theres a connection between your post and your headache.... :wink: :roll: :lol:....
If I were you Id take an asprin and lie down in a darkened room.

BTW could Susan come and jump of your kerb[whats left of it] or she might have to eat a McDonalds........[confused you will be :? ]....

Oh what a great way to start a Sunday..... :wink: :lol:
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

If I were you Id take an asprin and lie down in a darkened room.
'nuff said...off I go :oops: ....

Mouse (who never needs telling twice...well sometimes, like when the baileys come out & I'm on a diet :roll: )
X
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

'nuff said...off I go ....

Dont be gone long though Mousie...missing you already :cry:
A-two

Post by A-two »

Elaine,
I'm not sure how these commission sites work because I've never used them, but the first site didn't respond to his inquiry and the second site was too expensive, so he wasn't happy with either of them. They didn't even introduce him to you and your property, you already knew each other.

That being so, I don't think either site would be on solid ground in a procuring cause case on which commission is usually based. Put another way, if they haven't put the deal together successfully, and they haven't as yet, then there ought not to be any commission payable to either of them. However, I suggest you read the small print at both sites to find out more about their policies in a situation like this.

Based on what you've told us, I don't think he has to book through either of them, unless you would prefer him to do so, in which case, whichever one he picks gets the commission. The losing site would get nothing. Otherwise, it sounds a lot simpler to me to pick up the phone and make all arrangements directly with him from now on without them in the middle. Then later, when he's happily settled with his booking, you can deal with them without him being caught in the middle.

Hope this makes sense!

P.S. I'm sorry you're going though all this, but thanks for sharing. We can all learn from your experience.
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

I love the idea of a "learning curb/kerb"!! That's just how I feel - a newbie teetering on the rentals road, trying to stay on the straight and narrow! :lol:

Ros, I am listed on several non-commission sites, which work very well. But as I wasn't working last month, I decided to look around at other sites and signed up with several free trials and this site that takes a commission from renters. The real problem is that, unlike others who also charge the guests rather than the owner, it's not clear to the inquirer that part of the total is a site fee.

Since it has already caused this confusion, I think I will reduce my rate there but limit the time I leave as available on their calendar.

I only started renting out my apartment last May so I've taken the attitude that I should list on lots of sites and then gradually drop any that are not effective.
Joanna wrote: it sounds a lot simpler to me to pick up the phone and make all arrangements directly with him from now on without them in the middle.
Joanna, it did cross my mind to do that. However, the site he first contacted - whose e-mails he didn't receive - is run by someone who's been hugely helpful and has brought me many bookings. He has rented from her before, which is how he found my place, so I would not like to do that to her.

No sign of a deposit yet so I'm not sure what he's decided. I shall leave him a bottle of wine on arrival to help make up for all the confusion - and pour myself a large glass later to still my shattered nerves! :lol: :?

Thanks for all your valuable insight. When this first blew up and I thought "help, what do I do?" I knew the first place to turn should be here. And you've all been great! Thanks! (I don't have an emoticon for big hugs (where do you all find them??) but I send you all virtual big hugs!! :lol:

Elaine
Lounging on the lily pad...
alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

I've been watching this topic with interest, but am afraid I don't have anything constuctive to add :?

One thing did concern me a bit Elaine, you said that it was a free site that takes commision from renters. As I only started advertising my apartment in January I paid for a couple of rentals sites but have advertised on lots of free sites. I didn't notice anything about commisions :oops: My rents are quite low and by the time I've paid for cleaning etc, I wouldn't have a lot left if I had to pay 20% on top of that. Could you let me know what site it is that takes the commision?

Thanks
Alison
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Alison what free ones are you on....

A lot do say free but what they mean is free to list...but they charge commission just look out for it...they should make it clear but some dont...... :? .
some are really free and Ive been on quite a few...... :wink: :roll:

Elaine you saidI only started renting out my apartment last May so I've taken the attitude that I should list on lots of sites and then gradually drop any that are not effective.

not a bad idea...Im listed on quite a few...You do have to put the leg work in early on...
I think you have to do this to begin with as you say then you can decide which ones to stay with.....
The good news is you found LMH early on
which I wish I had it really is the best site you could have found for learning stuff...I do every day
:wink: :roll: [/quote]
Last edited by Big Sis.. on Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

Hi Ros

The free sites I'm with are:

Cheap Holiday Rentals
Espana Breaks
Perfect Places
Independent Owners

I didn't notice anything that said about paying commision, but may have missed it :oops:
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

The last 3 are free free trial ones so thats OK..Ive been with Espana breaks and PP]got a few bookings from PP]Independat owners is ok as well Im sure

the cheap holiday one i havent heard of have you a link[cant seem to find it]
Overboard

Post by Overboard »

I've been thinking about joining one of these commission sites, Edinburgh has quite a few that have good search engine positioning. A few things have stopped me so far. I would have to up my prices to cover their 10% commission fee, which could turn messy if they find the house elsewhere for its 'normal' rate ii) The Terms and Conditions on these sites are not to be sneezed at, no communicating directly with the enquirers etc. iii) Bookings are really picking up.

These sites should only be used for off peak seasons IMO.
alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

That's the one everyone was ribbing! Maybe the French Gites would not want to advertise on this site, but for me it's ok.

http://cheapholidayrentalsdirect.com/

I've not had any enquiries from there, but am ever optomistic :D
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Dear All,

As a property owner I do a certain amount of research in trying to establish the correct market price for my properties. Having done that I include my properties on a personal web site and on a number of listing sites and on all of them I say “that’s the price, there are no extras� and that works fine; everything is equal, everyone pays the same price for the same week in the same property and I get the same rent for the same week in the same property – no extras for my guests and no deductions for me.

The scenario is that I then decide to add my properties to some commission paying sites. Now, things are no longer equal. Either my guests are not all paying the same price for the same week in the same property or I am not receiving the same rent for the same week in the same property.

I really don’t understand how one can “mix and match� personal web sites and listing sites on the one hand and commission paying sites on the other without potentially upsetting guests, and/or oneself.

If my property is available at various prices, how can I complain if a guest opts for the lowest price? Don’t we all shop that way?

Fluffy
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Alans right. :) ..

The one site that i do use which is commission paying is only because the owner lists here...and because we had the agreement before I listed that she would only have the hard to book first and last couple of months
if not I would steer well clear....
.but I did stipulate that the prices were the same and as she only charges 10% that wouldnt be too much to swallow...as it worked out she ended up paying me commisionso that was an added bonus :wink:

But I can understand why people starting out would want to try these....we all panic a bit the first few years and think we will never get any booking.....