Not sure about this one...

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Normandy Cow

Not sure about this one...

Post by Normandy Cow »

Usually I can spot them a mile off, but I'm not 100% certain about this one. Any thoughts?

Hello, I will love to Rent the house for on the 12th of April till 14 of April 2007. I will be happy if you can
send to me your (Full Name, Contact Address, Phone Number) and also the final price of the house. So as to send a part payment to you.

It's from a yahoo email address and it's just for one person, patric peterson. I wouldn't take the booking anyway as it is only for one night (says one night on the enquiry form, but the dates above indicate two).
But I would normally send a polite email saying thanks but no thanks, we only take weekly bookings, and I would hate to ignore this person if it is in fact genuine. On the other hand, if it is a scam, I don't want to reply...

PS, I forgot to mention, it's from Perfect Places (free trial), and of the five enquiries I have had from them, only one so far has been genuine, all the rest were scams. So I don't hold out much hope anymore whenever I see a Perfect Places inquiry in my inbox!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Catherine...

Seems like a Scam to me...Just email asking him loads of qustions....like where exactly is my house........[bet he doesnt know]......What airport will you be flying into.....How are you spelling patric :?:

On another tack scamwise....

Ive received this today
I am Mr.Bernard Buxton a private investor in Europe and I will like to do business with you and your company, which has prompted my contacting you.

I have some reasonable funds in Financial Company in Europe, which I would like to invest it in an offshore project. However, this is my first time of being involved in offshore investment since my arrival to Europe from Iraq, so my attorney shall be handling the entire transaction on my behalf.

If you are interested in pursuing this further, please notify me, in order to enable us work out modalities.

Please note: A binding agreement must be endorsed prior to eventual transfer of funds to you for investment.

Looking forward to your response

Best regards,
Bernard Buxton

Whatdyareckon.........I think the names a clue :wink:

Do people really give details out to these sort of emails.....
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Hi,

Its an overpayment scam hence wanting your phone number so they can hassle you to pay the the none existent balance back to them..........IMO
Cheers
PC
cc

Post by cc »

CatherineS
I think you are being a bit too suspicious.
Be guarded but don't assume it is a scam, I think there is nothing there so far to suggest a scam.
Why is using a yahoo email address necessarily a sign of a scam? I have been using the same ISP independent email address since 1996.
People do make mistakes on dates and the not perfect English means nothing. We get phoned by probably 20% of our guests, it isn't that unusual and if you do not have a phone number on your website, maybe a potential renter wants to check that you exist. Which reminds me, we are being asked more often for our exact location, it is by people with Google earth who want to check that what we say about our location is true!
As you say you won't take the booking any way so why not just send a polite refusal.

The second of course is a complete joke, Ros!
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

Ros wrote:this is my first time of being involved in offshore investment since my arrival to Europe from Iraq, ...Bernard Buxton
Whatdyareckon.........I think the names a clue :wink:
Dear Ros,

I'm sure you're being very cruel to this poor man who's probably lost so much in his native Iraq. I'm sure the Buxton family - a very common Iraqi name :roll: - have lost many relatives and he should be treated with more sympathy.
:wink: :lol:

Do these people not think things through when they come up with these scams??? :lol:

Elaine
Lounging on the lily pad...
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

I shouldnt think so luckily :wink: ...

but the really big worry is that someone must be falling for these things or surely they wouldnt bother :shock: :roll:
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Ros wrote:but the really big worry is that someone must be falling for these things or surely they wouldn't bother
That's the real worry; some people do fall for these things.

There are people who are even more stupid than the morons who prey on them.

Fluffy
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

"but the really big worry is that someone must be falling for these things or surely they wouldnt bother"

Desperation and more importantly GREED............now lets stoke the fires of hell :twisted:
Cheers
PC
A-two

Post by A-two »

This could be the template he bought that he wasn't quite sure how to fill in.

I am [...name....] a private investor in [....add country in Europe....] and I will like to do business with you and your company, which has prompted my contacting you.

I have some reasonable funds in [...Financial Company....] in [....country in Europe...], which I would like to invest it in an offshore project. However, this is my first time of being involved in offshore investment since my arrival to [...country in Europe...] from Iraq, so my attorney [....name .....] shall be handling the entire transaction on my behalf.

If you are interested in pursuing this further, please notify me, in order to enable us work out [.....modalities.....]

Please note: A binding agreement must be endorsed prior to eventual transfer of funds to you for investment.

Looking forward to your response

Best regards,
[....name....]

Whatever he paid for it, he was ripped off. Don't ya just hate when that happens? If he would like a better template, I have one available for $25,000 which covers the cost of OEM ink cartridges.

:) :lol: :lol:
Last edited by A-two on Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Sorry can only pay by Western Union............would that be ok in your place area location as my work is sending me to you :roll: :roll:

All the best

Dwayne Pipe.
Cheers
PC
Loopy Lou

Post by Loopy Lou »

Thanks for making me laugh out loud :lol: :lol: :lol:
Louise
www.lacharronniere.com delightful gites in the Vienne countryside.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

as my work is sending me to you
special delivery of course PC...... :wink: :roll: :lol:
A-two

Post by A-two »

Dear [..Mr Pipe...],
Wonderful! Please bring the [...yacht...] and another [..$25,000..] for [....docking fees....] We have plenty of availability as the channel is very [.....completely frozen.....] So we'll see you there at [,...12 noon...] on [.....the next moon tide.....].

Mrs. [....Doe....]
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

IT BLEEDS ME PASTOR JOANNA TO INFORM YOU THAT YOU MUST JOIN THE CHURCH OF THE BLESSED DECEASED GOAT IF THIS TRANSACTION IS TO CONTINUE.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHY DO BIRDS SUDDENLY APPEAR EVERY TIME YOU ARE NEAR?

PS: STAND AND DELIVER GIVE ME YOUR CASH UMM LIKE NOW!
Cheers
PC