no comments how weird

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
shazza

no comments how weird

Post by shazza »

posted my website for comments from all you guys.had lots of looks but not a comment in sight.either it's pants or so good no comments were worth the time.somebody must have something to say????
www.gitesdumarigne.com.
holidays in france
enid

Post by enid »

I'm sorry I must have missed your first post. The properties look great. I like the tone of your text and the photos are good. The negative point for me was having the images behind the text as I found this made it hard to read. Hope that helps. :)
debk

Post by debk »

Shazza, this looks like the third time you are asking for a personal website review.

Both the other times you received several comments, some quite extensive... and yet I don't see that you've done any reciprocating by reviewing other people's sites. That seems a bit odd? Maybe there is more than one Shazza??? :?
Eileen2

Post by Eileen2 »

I agree with Enid that your gites look great, your text assures me that it is a friendly, relaxed and child safe location for a holiday.
But I do have a problem reading the text due to the style of font. I don't have a problem with my eyesight, put it down to laziness but I found myself skipping paragraphs.

Another minor point I do feel worth mentioning as it could put prospective guests off...do you really have to mention your cats? If there is one thing that would put me off is the anticipation that the cats would prowl around and annoy me when I am relaxing outside...even worse the thought that they may enter my accommodation. :(

Sorry if I have upset any cat lovers, I don't mind cats as long as they keep their distance!

Private villa with pool in Arillas, Corfu.

www.villalinakis.com

Eileen.
Last edited by Eileen2 on Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Hi Sharon, yes I did see your first posting and was trying to reply constructively by looking in detail at your source, but then got distracted.

Like Enid I found the text hard to read. I think the (background) pictures are all quite stunning and from afar the website looks spectacular, but hard to USE. Then, I also noticed that because I have a very hi res wide screen that the background pictures start to "tile" and it all got more and more messy. OK, I am in a minority here, but wide screens are growing.

I liked the short cryptic text - no long paragraphs of prose, so in a sense that helped readability, but only a little.

Then I noticed that the background pictures were a repeat of the photos on the rhs of the page, and got even more irritated by the background. It works very well on the home page, but not any of the other pages.

Content-wise, its hard to fault, but for one little thing you may want to consider: "How do I book ?"

I know I've gone on a long time about the negative, but thats the perils of site-review. All in all, I still think its a great website and it feels like a very friendly place to visit.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Change to an easier to read font would help, it is very hard to read.
istrianholidays

Post by istrianholidays »

Hi,

Would agree with the other comments here - site looks good and particularly like the front picture and the background of the pool - however, unfortunately the sound of the cats could be off-putting for some.

Regards,

Jen
paolo

Post by paolo »

I echo what debk says. Best to ask for a review once, not three times, and to give feedback to others.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hi Shazza

Compared with dashing off a 30-second response to a posting, a website review can be a big committment in time and energy. I find this section of LMH one of the most interesting and I've learned an awful lot from other members' assessments of sites for review. There are many clever people on this forum and the wide range of their comments - technical and creative - often shake-up my preconceived ideas.

The websites that receive the most attention are likely to be those that excite members' admiration and respect for a terrific product or those that have a glaring (usually technical) fault which will prejudice the chances of the site's success in the marketplace. If your website receives little attention, admiration or criticism, I think you can reasonably assume that it's probably OK. Not too exciting, maybe, but perfectly capable of doing a good commercial job for you. You may receive more usefully targeted information too, if you ask specific questions when you submit your site.

Sometimes you can glean as much from what people don't say as you can learn from what they do.

Jim
mon269

Post by mon269 »

Kind of weird how your site works. It’s very simple yet my eyes are all over the place. I find having a picture as background is bad enough. If on top of that you add a hard to read font, you are really pushing it. However, I did read all the text, what tells me that the copy is fine as it is, just very hard to read. :shock:

Also related to the background picture, and using the “places to visit� as an example, the pic is faded but the colour is not attractive. I just thought of something here. The home page has a background picture that is very appealing, mainly because of the combination of colours. It may be a good idea to use the same colour scheme throughout the site.
Garri

Post by Garri »

I'm with Mon269, the background photos are distracting whereas you want people to be able to easily read the content. Also, the background pic is clipped at bottom on FireFox and as a result it looks borked.

I'm never keen on seeing photos of places where there are no captions to tell me exactly what they are. I'm talking here about the photo gallery down the right of your 'places to visit' section.
Am I to guess the paragraphs on the left are related to pics on right? If so, don't make me have to think ;-)

That said, I think the little house looks delightful but could be enhanced with more photos.

One last thing, what about making the arrival meal inclusive rather than extra ;-)
Gus

Post by Gus »

I rather think that your site reflects your idiosyncratic personalities. No bad thing - you come across as interesting people - except you are marketing your gites rather than yourselves.

The point about having a website is that it should make the person looking at it think "That looks nice, I would like to go there". Anything that gets in the way of that simple response is counter productive.

I agree with the above comments about your unfortunate choice of typeface, its colour and readability. I suspect that you got seduced by playing with the possibilities of the medium which is fine if you are an artist but not if you are a communicator.

As you are asking for advice, mine is to begin again.