Would anyone like to review Updown Cottage please!

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Garri

Post by Garri »

I shouldn't be doing this as I have tons of work, but just looked at the site again...

Not sure if this will work but she's using Google Analytics, so perhaps this 'unique' URL will show up in her stats ;-)

http://www.updowncottage.co.uk/nice-to- ... ntact-form

Bizarrely, she has the domain parked with Sedo, so any 404 errors are displaying sponsored links! That's just utterly stupid!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Garri :D . A bit naughty though :D
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Garri Nice to see you :wink: ..
I cant help it but she did amuse me....
I dont think we had ever been sooo insulted but somehow it made me laugh :lol: maybe cos it didnt have much Validity[well not from how I saw it]...
Garri

Post by Garri »

Ros, you'll remember she said something about having canvassed hundreds of people about her website. What she neglected to tell us was they were either a) all visually impaired, or b) they just said to her 'yeah, it looks great' without even bothering their backsides to look at it ;-)
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I'm so glad this thread was ressurected - I was in hospital when it all kicked off and missed the fun! I think it's a bit offputting that you have to enter and address, postcode and tel number on the enquiry form to make it work, or is that to fox the scammers?
Shame there is no availability calendar, I'd like to see how bookings are going at those prices.
Garri

Post by Garri »

I'd like to see how bookings are going at those prices.
Susan, after today's coverage pretty good I should imagine ;-)
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Shame there is no availability calendar, I'd like to see how bookings are going at those prices.
Gosh Susan I see what you mean :shock:
[I also see that she got 81 replies and 4441 viewings so maybe thats the answer :wink: :lol:......]all these people who have been polite might think again :roll: ....]
Last edited by Big Sis.. on Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Garri wrote:
I'd like to see how bookings are going at those prices.
Susan, after today's coverage pretty good I should imagine ;-)
Doh, of course - I'd forgotten that.
OK, I wonder if she gets many repeat bookings with that attitude?
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I couldn't find the link when I tried to look at the website so I typed in "Upsidedown cottage Shaftesbury" on google.co.uk and it didn't come up on the first page. Mind you, if I was looking for "baby grand piano Shaftesbury" all the advertising sites they use came up. Not sure if most customers will use those search words though!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Right Garri :wink:
I will put myself on your hands as I have absolutely no knowledge of how these things work..
Has she paid to have this article or have they picked the cottage cos it was nice/unique/different
[as I think we all thought at the time but as Sue implies it was the attitude we had trouble with]
or none of the above :roll: ..
And shouldnt we at least say.. Well Done :!: ..cos if someone on here had got this exposure [by whatever means we would have thought it was Great ]
Garri

Post by Garri »

In fairness to her, the title of this thread is: Would anyone like to review Updown Cottage please!

It has just occurred to me that she wasn't (probably) seeking so much a review of her website but of the Updown Cottage itself. May explain why she got so tetchy.

That said, she did post it to the 'Website Reviews' section.

From her attitude it seems she already decided there was nothing wrong with website, that sort of arrogance is annoying.

I'm currently redesigning my own site, a total redesign of the layout, and possibly the whole damned thing. It's not easy, so I'm aware of the challenges. I'm bound to get things wrong, in fact I know I'll get things wrong, but I hope not to make such fundamental mistakes as text colours in the contact form fields! ;-)
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

But we'll all be in the Sunday Times tomorrow. :wink:
Garri

Post by Garri »

Ros, the journalist, in this case Sally Shalam, would've stayed in the cottage for free. I doubt the Updown lady would've paid to be featured. She may have been a) lucky enough to be spotted, b) someone in the travel field recommended the cottage to Sally, c) used a PR company to get her place in front of the travel press (this is least likely because it costs money and Updown lady seemed reluctant to spend any money correcting a fundamental problem on her website!)

The Guardian recently featured 5 log cabins, in paper and on site, as result of the journalist using my site:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2007/jun/09/1

How do I know that? Because when I saw it, I asked him ;-) And I'm glad I took that initiative!

The list was uncanny with some obscure ones, all of which I'd featured.
enid

Post by enid »

It might be its situation too - Gold Hill is incredibly picturesque and to actually have a cottage to rent on the hill is something. :)
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Garri wrote:The Guardian recently featured 5 log cabins, in paper and on site, as result of the journalist using my site
Maybe Sally Shalam found Updown Cottage on your site too Garri? Are you going to ask her? :) Not saying you were wrong to feature it at the time, quite the opposite as the property is pretty special! It's just that........

Never mind, pink's still my favourite colour.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be