Web site reports

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Topcat

Web site reports

Post by Topcat »

Has anyone used any of these site reports? I just downloaded a free one from Coffee Cup, which gave my site an overall rating of 6.5. It then told me which bits were excellent, which average and which poor. Except for one vital piece of information - in order to find out which sections were poor and get pointers on how to fix them, I had to fork out $49.

Does anyone think it's worth it?

Pauline
Debut novelist at http://tinyurl.com/or89jle

http://wivenhoewriters.blogspot.co.uk/
Contributor to anthology 'In a Word: Murder'
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Pauline,

I’m sure I will be “put to bed� by some as being a boring traditionalist but I still think the ultimate test of success for a self-catering property owner is to be found in the answer to the question “how many bookings did I achieve?�

I accept that there are many devices which can be used on the journey to achieving that level of success but I sometimes get the feeling that, at least with some people, success with the devices is taking over from the ultimate success.

What is the response to someone who has an appalling position on all of these ratings and yet is achieving the ultimate goal – a good level of bookings?

Do I think that $49 is good value for a piece of worthless information? Should I now keep my head well under the parapet in order to avoid the broadside aimed in my direction? Only time will tell.

Fluffy
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Alan, it's difficult to know, isn't it. I know what you mean about worthless information, and actually, once I had submitted my site I was deluged with it. Not all of it was worthless, and I've got some good tips, but now it just seems to be more of the same so I tend to ignore it.

But if the proof is in the pudding, I have got to admit that so far I have had no bookings from my site other than someone has been re-directed to it, so I do start to wonder.
Debut novelist at http://tinyurl.com/or89jle

http://wivenhoewriters.blogspot.co.uk/
Contributor to anthology 'In a Word: Murder'
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

I know what you mean. The traditional methods of marketing do appear to be drying up, at least to an extent. Maybe the truth is that we should all adopt all devices, before it’s too late.

Perhaps my opinions are now of little value because my position in the marketplace and my client profile have changed out of all recognition?

In my younger days, if you wanted a foreign holiday you got onto a package company and bought an all-inclusive fortnight on the Costa-packet. It isn’t like that any more. Things have changed and we should all change with them.

Fluffy
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

I guess it is each to their own, some need more bookings than others, others 'want' more bookings, some are 'into' the newest web stuff, others aren't.......so many variables. I admire your tenacity Pauline and am sure it will do some good, how much, who knows.

For my part, I have been amazed that barely anyone has clicked through to the iowners site, which makes me question whether it would be worthwhile doing a paid for all singing, all dancing one, which, admitted could be found without being 'with all the competition' on a link from HL BUT I don't enjoy that side of it (SEO etc)....and am not entirely convinced. Sometimes it just feels a bit like information overload but that's me, like I say, everyones different :wink:
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm