Travel Library Scam

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Kersh

Travel Library Scam

Post by Kersh »

NOTE: Also posted on Rental Listing Sites Forum:

viewtopic.php?t=3830

It's a scam for sure:

------------------------------------------------

Just wanted to warn people of a suspicious booking enquiry I had from Travel Library.

Before I go on, can I just say that Travel Library is an excellent site and I fully recommend everyone sign up. I have had quite a few bookings through them and will continue to use them.

I received a booking request from Steven Douglas who works for the following company:

HALLE RICHARDS INVESTMENTS
178 HIGH HOLBORN
LONDON, WC1V 7AA.

If you receive an e-mail from him, expect it to be a hoax. Reading Travel Library's "Avoiding Scams & Fraudulent Booking Enquiries," he's tried this before.

I got an enquiry for 4 weeks in my apartment for 5 of his colleagues who were on a workshop programme. He provided the names of the staff but he wasn't included. At first I thought great. Then I asked myself, who goes on a 4 week workshop programme ........ in Bad Gastein?

I sent a response with a price and I got a response saying he was out of the country and would pay by credit card – this is a common theme of his e-mails by the looks of other reports. At this point I though I’d check out the company. I did a Google search, searched the Yellow Pages, even went to Companies House website - nothing!

I'm 99.9% sure it's a scam. I don't know how the scam works but it just isn't right.

I am still in discussion with him - I asked him to tell me what flights his staff were arriving on and asked him to pay by company cheque but after asking for that info, I doubt I’ll hear from him again.

My advice is if you receive an e-mail from Steven Douglas, treat it with caution.

Out of interest, does anyone know how I can report him to the Police.

Thanks
Kersh
rebel

Post by rebel »

we had a simular scam last year,not with thissite one of the others but knew it was one,but just played along with it.someonewanted our place forseveral months,from away,the office in charge would send a cheque which encluded the persons salary,something in the region of £2500,or maybe more cannot remember now,old age lol,the cheque arrived from a scottish bank?,they lived in Ireland?,doing reserch in Spain .Itook the cheque to the bank explained it to my friend working there,she told me the tellers would have changed itas it looked real,we took it to the police station with the address provided.they told us they would let usknow the out come but until reading on here i forgot about it.it wasa photo copyed cheque,so be careful,it can take months for some of these cheques to be traced,i could have been gulible enogh to fall for it and i would be responsible for paying the money back,insurrance comes into it then but even so