Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Easy Build website

How to build your own personal website from scratch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnbelgar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Easy Build website Reply with quote

Hello
I am new to the forum.
I have a self catering property in Aviemore Scotland and I would like to build a website,can anyone give me any recommendations on where to start,where I will get a domain and everything on 1 site,ie godaddy,123-reg.co.uk or any others.It must be straight forward if possible.

Brgds John
istrianholidays

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've just finished building my website using Microsoft Live which offers a free basic hosting service and allows you to design your site quite easily yourself. I'm not sure that it offers all of the functionality that you might get elsewhere for a paid service, but I had no experience whatsoever and found it pretty easy to use. I think the results are of an acceptable quality and they also have a number of different templates to choose from. You can have a look at my site at - http://www.istrianholidays.com - and assess the results for yourself.

I might later improve it going with a paid for service - but for the moment, I think is acceptable - and I would probably give this free service a go, before trying a paid for one?

The Microsoft Live Basics site is : http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/office_live/FX101754491033.aspx?pid=CL101750181033

There could be many others - and the more technical people on the forum may be able to provide better advice - but this was the first which I came across, and it is working for me.

Regards,

Jen
Overboard

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello John,

Aviemore eh? How lovely! Fond memories of that area. My school had day trips there and I've visited that area quite a lot...

I use Homestead.com to purchase and then design my sites although you cannot purchase a .co.uk (I believe they can design .com, .org and .net). If you are unfamiliar with HTML I would highly recommend them. We run about 6 websites from 1 account and I believe each additional website was only about $25. Their customer service has been great to date too.
johnbelgar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks
I have looked at both your recommendations homestead and microsoft and your websites look good.If I chose a domain name with microsoft or homestead and then I decided to change to another web provider could I keep the same domain name.

Thanks again for your help
istrianholidays

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I know with Microsoft you can do this - so I assume is relatively standard and you should be able to do this with most people that you go with. Probably best to check the small print before signing up - just to see how easy it is to do!!

Regards,

Jen
greenfrog

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built mine with Yahoo sitebuilder. It took me a while to get into it but it's quite simple really. I don't know if it allows for the kind of gorgeous sites a pro will do for you, cos I'm still at the basic level, but it has the great advantage of doing all the coding for you so you just enter text as normal and insert photos etc as though you were doing magazine layout online.
Rosbif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably a bit too late now as it was some time ago the first question was asked but I used Mr Site www.mrsite.co.uk I got the domain name, hosting for a year and online software where you choose your background, how many pages, if you want a gallery, input your text, photos etc for £34.99. It was very easy to put together.

Smile
ravetildon

Location: I love Travel! - We Are Based Around San Francisco, California

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: info Reply with quote

That's a hard question to answer... So much to answer. Here's a start.

I usually recommend people find hosting in the same city where the vacation rental is located. Google is putting increased importance on the location of the web server.

I am a fan of 1and1.com for hosting. 3 US Dollars a month. 6 bucks a year for a domain name.

I would search for free web templates in a search engine and go from there, unless you just want someone to build you a site.
How to build your own personal website from scratch