Finished

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Rocket Rab

Finished

Post by Rocket Rab »

..at last. My very own DIY HTML proj.

Back in October 2006 - inspired by many of you on LMH - it started to dawn on me that a personal website might be A Good Thing. But where to start? (Picture Rocky Rab peering fearfully over a deep, dark chasm...)

Trawling through various threads I stumbled across Paolo's pointer to some great tutorials.. and the rest is history.

A big thank you to all on LMH who have so generously provided advice, help and inspiration.

Would I do it again? Well, might do - it was fun. Although, on second thoughts (using HTML to set up a website is like trying to grill a sausage over a match). Er, nearly forgot:
www.iledereholidayhomes.com
Last edited by Rocket Rab on Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
debk

Post by debk »

And PROUD you should be.

CONGRATS! HURRAH!

It's *lovely* and easy to navigate. The photographs are EVER so tempting. Information clearly presented. Love the map.

Only thing missing is my availability calendar... bit of a broken record, I know, I know...

Also, under "Contacts" I would recommend a separate page that shows your email (and possibly a phone number?) rather than opening someone's email right away. Why? Because if I'm using someone else's computer or a public computer, that method of opening an email can get confusing.

(There are a couple of threads here, I think, about how to list your email without making it too easily available to robot harvesters. If you can't find them, let me know.)

Again, congrats. Many a late hour has been well rewarded, in my opinion. Let the fireworks continue.

:)
debk
istrianholidays

Post by istrianholidays »

Hi

Not really able to comment on the techie bit but...

I really love your front page and the way you have framed round the outside with pictures (.... if you don't mind, you might find something similar on my site soon!!!). Just one thing, perhaps a more uplifting colour than gray might work better in the centre square. I think a turquoise or blue might work well - as this would bring out the blue tones rather than the gray tones in your photos as at present to me it gives a slight impression of bad weather. I think on a different background, this would not be the case. Your photos all the way through, however, are really great.

I really like the font which you have used on the larger writing, and think is a shame that you have not copied this in the smaller font - as to me it is much more appealing.

2 other smallish points - an availability calendar would be good, and also when you click "contact us" it opens up my Outlook mail which I don't actually use. Fine if I am at home, because I can then copy the address into my yahoo account, but if I was using a computer in an internet cafe for example, I would not be able to contact you. I guess you have deliberately chosen both of these options - but personally, I would prefer to be able to e-mail directly from the site - and to see straight off whether it was booked.

Edit [Note - I didn't just copy DebK - but just happened to be writing almost exactly the same thing at the same time!!!]

Your properties are really beautifully decorated - and are shown off well! Good job!

Regards,

Jen
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Wow !! Jenny- it's a lovely site,fresh and appealling !! You can almost "feel " it. A huge " well done" is in order methinks !! :lol:
enid

Post by enid »

Well done that girl - soooooo proud of you. It looks clean and fresh and very accessible - writing a little small for me on the Rates page but otherwise hunky dory. Pour youself a glass of wine my dear - you deserve it :D
Nessie

Post by Nessie »

And so you should be proud , its great.Also no help from anybody . Glad you stuck with your own site in the end, looking forward to receiving you email on the other matter now.
Nessie
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

OOOHHHHH WELL DONE :!: :!: :D

What a clever Wabbit :D ........

Im sooo pleased for you and I know how hard youve worked at it....justifiably proud of your work :wink: ...Good on ya.. Your places look lovely tooo...

Well done Jenny Penny...

ImageImageImage

[Call that a firework display you deserve at least this many :wink: ]
Ireally am sooo chuffed for you...clever :!: and a lovely fwend :!: ..a great combination :wink: :lol:
Ju

Post by Ju »

Well done on the site! Your properties look lovely.

My main comment would be that the font is too small. For the written text you could go up a couple of sizes.

I agree about the contact page. It would be better if it opened a page with your details on including a phone number.

Ju
Eileen2

Post by Eileen2 »

Congratulations and well done Rocket Rab. I am always in awe of all you determined guys'n'gals out there who are willing to tackle building your own webites.

Not being qualified to comment on the technical side I would like to say that your front page says it all for me. Your excellent mix of images showing your property interior/exterior and also the location makes my mind up for me without going further into the website. :D

Maybe it's my screen (as I said I don't know much about techie stuff :? ) but I would have been happier if the main images on the Maison pages and also the map on the Ile De Re were a up a little higher and I could see it all or most of it without having to scroll down.

Eileenx

Holiday Villa Rental in Arillas, Corfu,
Greece

www.villalinakis.com
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Wish I had the courage and time to forge ahead with my 'own' site. Your's looks great!! Well done.
:D
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Many congrats Jenny.....what a clever bunny :lol:
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Hi peeps, what a great bunch you are..I was so chuffed to get all your valuable feedback and encouragement...I have made a few changes to the site to reflect your comments. :D
debk wrote: Only thing missing is my availability calendar... bit of a broken record, I know, I know...
debk wrote: Under "Contacts" I would recommend a separate page that shows your email (and possibly a phone number?) rather than opening someone's email right away. Why? Because if I'm using someone else's computer or a public computer, that method of opening an email can get confusing.

Your wish is my command, modom!
Availability calendar: well, would be nice if I could get something more in keeping with the overall style of my site, but this is the quick-fix solution...

Contacts: separate page is much better .... Deb, I had a hunt through threads for advice on how to hide my email to robots, but wasn't able to find anything....any pointers?
Jen wrote: a more uplifting colour than gray might work better in the centre square
Done. (Blue) And I like it! Thanks!
Jen wrote: I really like the font which you have used on the larger writing, and think is a shame that you have not copied this in the smaller font - as to me it is much more appealing.
Done. ('Design' fault) :wink:
Jen wrote:when you click "contact us" it opens up my Outlook mail which I don't actually use. Fine if I am at home, because I can then copy the address into my yahoo account, but if I was using a computer in an internet cafe for example, I would not be able to contact you. I guess you have deliberately chosen both of these options
Well, Jen, I'm flattered you thought it was deliberate! I won't mention that I hadn't been aware of that, then :wink: Thanks to you and Deb for pointing it out.
enid wrote:writing a little small for me on the Rates page
ju wrote:My main comment would be that the font is too small. For the written text you could go up a couple of sizes.
Thanks Enid and Ju. I have used a larger font on the Rates page and spaced the table out a bit more. I have also used a (slightly) larger font on certain written sections.
Eileen2 wrote:I would have been happier if the main images on the Maison pages and also the map on the Ile De Re were a up a little higher and I could see it all or most of it without having to scroll down.
Totally with you on that, Eileen. Ah, if only.... am still working on my ATF skills...I think that means Above The Fold, i.e. where you see all the content without having to do any scrolling. Tomorrow, maybe? :wink: :wink:

And many thanks also to Fraise, Nessie, Ros, HelenB and Partridge for your kind comments. :D

And now for that glass of wine, Enid! Cheers!
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

You're a quick worker Jen :lol: Sorry I didn't add anything constructive but it had all been said, although, obviously I couldn't understand anything on the thalasso thingy page, being all French :shock:
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Eileen2

Post by Eileen2 »

Rocket Rab wrote:
Totally with you on that, Eileen. Ah, if only.... am still working on my ATF skills...I think that means Above The Fold, i.e. where you see all the content without having to do any scrolling. Tomorrow, maybe? :wink: :wink:

And now for that glass of wine, Enid! Cheers!
Ahh, I should have remembered that about ATF, I hope my brother does not read this or he will realize that most of what he has been trying to teach me has went OMH. i.e Over My Head! :lol:

Enjoy your wine...you deserve it!

Eileenx

Holiday Villa Rental in Arillas, Corfu,
Greece

www.villalinakis.com
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Partridge wrote:I couldn't understand anything on the thalasso thingy page, being all French :shock:
I know, Partie, this centre doesn't seem to be going all out to woo English-speaking clients - no Web page available in English, yet. Mmm, business opportunity for somebody, maybe? :wink: