Why?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

:D I suspect that if holiday makers still think in terms of a Saturday changeover, it's simply because they've been conditioned to do so, and not necessarily because it's their preference these days, at least in respect of the summer when fares are at their highest. Out of season, yes, Saturdays work better for short breaks - fares are still higher, but proportionately, it's not as bad.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I believe (but cannot prove) that over the year as a whole, I have sold more days in total by being flexible.
Trouble is, if you're successfully filling your gites using traditional Sat-Sat, there's little incentive to take the risk. If we were having difficulties with bookings, I'd be more inclined to take a chance. Sorry Ben.

Jim
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Trouble is, if you're successfully filling your gites using traditional Sat-Sat, there's little incentive to take the risk.
Jim
I agree...[if it aint broke dont fix it :wink: ]
If we were having difficulties with bookings, I'd be more inclined to take a chance...... :!:

but I also think that people who are more Flexible are right too ...Its whatever works for you :roll: ...
Im not saying I wouldnt ever consider it but at the moment I dont need too..

I also think some of us are catering to different Markets... :roll:

But I love all this differing viewpoints...and think we All gain by considering them ......

Great Forum once again...thanks Forumers :wink:
Last edited by Big Sis.. on Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I had the benefit of starting from scratch last season, so decided to go down the flexible route.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

As I mentioned, Thursday chose me rather than the other way around, but it hasn't put everyone off and may even have been the clincher in some cases.

Though fixed to a Thursday changeover for the summer, I'm willing to bet that flexible changeover days, including agreeing Saturday to Saturday out of season makes a difference to the number of weeks booked overall. Let's revisit this thread in a year's time! :D
Eileen2

Post by Eileen2 »

At one time Monday was the main flight day into Corfu from the U.K, therefore most owners stuck to this as their changeover day and a few still do. Now Fridays are just as popular and this year things have become even more trickier as BA have introduced a new service this year flying out on a Saturday as well as other mid-week days.

As last year was our first year of renting we decided to have flexible change-over days. It did mean a few days lost, but overall it helped us fill the villa and bring in much needed income.

For this year we decided to stay with the flexible method allowing arrivals Fri/Sat/Mon. Much to our surprise the Saturday arrival/dep day with BA has worked to our advantage as we also have a couple of bookings from overseas that also fly in on a Saturday, thus helping bookings to flow smoothly from one to the other.

We did have a couple of awkward ones, but I had great success in manoeuvering them into more suitable arrival days for us. (thanks to this forum for the tip :D )

Maid service is carried out Mon/Wed & Fri, therefore the Fri/Mon flexible change-over does not affect our maids routine, it is only the Saturday changeover that throws her out of sync! Fortunately for us she is a gem...so much so that many of our guests want to take her home with them. :D

So the bottom line is that flexibility suits my circumstances but it would not suit everyone's situation.

Eileen.

Holiday Villa Rental in Arillas, Corfu,
Greece

www.villalinakis.com
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Our first year we went along with whatever bookers required...and surprisingly enough only had one spare day!
However we followed our first booking in the second year and that was a saturday to saturday 2 week one.
Same this year.
I find that 1 weekers are more flexible, but 2 weekers want the saturday to saturday (I suppose they use up less work holidays).

But tell me....how do you cater for people who want a 10 day holiday? We had one 1st year who nicely fitted the gap (well it was 11 nights actually)...but it means ordinarily you'd be left with a few odd days rental; do you accept them or not?

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Eileen2

Post by Eileen2 »

Hi Mouse,

So far we have only had 2 enquiries for 10 days. The first I could not accept as it left me with too many odd days at each end of his requested dates. I decided to be quite honest and explained that I would loose too much money as I could not fill the left over days. The chap rang me a few minutes later to say that he would book the villa for the whole 17 nights I had free!

The other 10 day booking is for September when the guests arrive on a Saturday and leave on a Monday, therefore providing I do get enquiries I'm quite sure they will fit in with the dates I have available.

So, so far luckily this year I have no problem with 10 day bookings...but well next year could be another story.....

Eileenx

Greece

www.villalinakis.com
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

The chap rang me a few minutes later to say that he would book the villa for the whole 17 nights I had free!
wow Eileen! Could you throw a few of those my way? :o :D Let's hope he turns into a repeat guest for you :D

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
LaLuz

Post by LaLuz »

I'm very flexible with my arrival/departure dates and often find that if I mention that the house is available either side of their chosen dates, guests will often book an extra day or 2 to take advantage of the low fares.

It helps me to plug any gaps and gives guests better value for money so we're all happy.

The only time I'm not flexible is during the 6 week school hols. I split it into 3 x 2 week slots as I find everyone wants 2 week holidays then.

I decide my changeover day by booking my own flights first (I have the first 2 weeks) and making that my changeover day. It's never been a Saturday as I won't pay the high fares but so far it's not been a problem.
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Mouse wrote:But tell me....how do you cater for people who want a 10 day holiday? We had one 1st year who nicely fitted the gap (well it was 11 nights actually)...but it means ordinarily you'd be left with a few odd days rental; do you accept them or not?
I've just accepted a 10 day booking for the beginning of June. It may turn out to be 2 weeks depending on when the people coming can actually get away but I was prepared to take the 10 days.

I wouldn't do this in July or August or September as we've had no problem filling these weeks, but June has always been hard for us, we've never had any more that 2 weeks of it booked and then at a discount, so I was pleased with the 10 day booking at full price.

I'd be interested to try a different changeover day, but this year things have been fine with Saturday to Saturday so I don't think I'd have the courage at the moment. I can see why people do though, it does make sense to profit from the cheaper flights.

Sarah
Eileen2

Post by Eileen2 »

Mouse wrote:
The chap rang me a few minutes later to say that he would book the villa for the whole 17 nights I had free!
wow Eileen! Could you throw a few of those my way? :o :D Let's hope he turns into a repeat guest for you :D

Mouse
x
Mouse. I will suggest he stays at your place next year if he wants a change from Corfu! :D

LaLuz wrote:I'm very flexible with my arrival/departure dates and often find that if I mention that the house is available either side of their chosen dates,....
Thats a good idea LaLuz, I will remember it. 8)

Eileenx

Greece

www.villalinakis.com
Loopy Lou

Post by Loopy Lou »

This is my first full year and I have gone with Sat to Sat in high season and flexible for most of the year as per the previous owners. I do live on site and will have 3 small (each sleeps 4, 1 bedroom) units to let. I have all three let for one week in August, Sat to Sat. It is always a problem deciding whether to go for the usual Sat to Sat changeover or for totally flexible (I think I would lose my marbles completely!) or to choose a different day of the week and settle on that.

I suppose that most people want to fit as much holiday as they can in without using more leave from-work-days than they have to. Doesn't that usually mean Sat to Sat? Or Sun to Sun (horrible going back to work on Monday having travelled the day before)? I'm thinking that if I offered, say, a Tues - Tues changeover I would more than likely only get one week bookings? I dunno.

I think I will take a straw poll of my guests this year and see what they think. I'll add it to the booking form.
Louise
www.lacharronniere.com delightful gites in the Vienne countryside.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I think more people are beginning to factor in the price difference in respect of their travel now, as the difference for a large group in particular in peak season can be quite hefty.
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

The advantage of a Saturday to Saturday for a guest is that if they are Mon-Fri working, they travel on non-work days and get the Sunday on their return to sort out and wash the clothes etc. With mid-week changeovers, you lose an extra day of your precious holiday entitlement.

John