Receiving payments in foreign currencies?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
charliechoice

Receiving payments in foreign currencies?

Post by charliechoice »

We have a definite enquiry from a group of Australians wishing to book our apartment for two weeks. We don't have the facility as yet for people to pay by credit card, or any other method other than by cheque, so could someone please advise me how to handle the enquiry. I have today joined villarenters as they take credit card bookings, but this won,t be up and running for approx 7 days. Am I correct in thinking that payments in any currencies will be possible by using villarenters ?
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

If you're happy to give your bank details to your renters, they can arrange a direct transfer to your account - but ask them to accept the charges incurred - they are given the option to do so or not by their bank when they apply to make the transfer.

Otherwise, sign up for Paypal? I can't speak for Villarenters - sorry Charlie!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Hi Charlie,

I recently had an enquiry from Sweden and was also panicking about how they could pay but it's been a doddle, thanks to all the good people here - have a look on the thread re booking from Sweden. I just gave them my bank details and the money was transferred but do make sure, as the good goat says that you make sure that they pay the sum required 'net to the beneficiary'.
Good luck!

Kathy
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

I have just had a booking from Iceland
and I asked them to get a sterling chq from the bank and send it[which they did] got here in 2 days....
[plus a bag of groceries :wink: :roll: :lol: ]

I havent ventured into bank details yet[still feel a bit uneasy] but if others here[who are my gurus ]suggest it ...it must be fine...so maybe I will :wink:
charliechoice

Post by charliechoice »

Thanks for the replies most helpful. Gascony, could you please explain just how easy or difficult it is to set up paypal ?

many thanks Phil.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

To set up a basic account, all you need is an email, but as you will need to withdraw money to your account, you will need to verify it, there are instructions in this thread
It is not without it's occasional problems, and if you search LMH, there are a number of other threads. However, it is very useful.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Thanks Helen - you beat me to it! :D
buxtonhouse

Post by buxtonhouse »

Back through the thread a bit, I just had a look on Villarenters and couldn't get their website to bring up any of the cottages listed for Derbyshire/Lancashire. It says they're there and then just throws up 'sorry no results were found'. Haven't checked other areas.
Is this site easy enough for customers to use?
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Not from where I'm sitting anyway BuxtonHouse! Can't access any UK properties for any dates - even trying to alter the date was impossible it was dead set on my arriving on the first of the month!! It says it has 5 properties in your area, and one in Buxton but... :? I've only tried it in Safari with a few different settings on the site itself. Maybe they have a problem and need to be contacted?
buxtonhouse

Post by buxtonhouse »

I tried in Firefox. Are they normally reliable then?
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Haven't a clue BH, but they won't bring in any bookings at the moment! :(
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

Keep in mind the key problem with PayPal is the charges which are very high for foreign country transfers. We find the best method is electronic bank transfers - it is the cheapest and most efficient when compared to paypal and foreign cheques even if you accept your side of the charges in good faith to your guests.
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
charliechoice

Post by charliechoice »

Ros,
thanks for the reply, they have agreed to send a sterling cheque. Presumably all they have to do is make it out in our name, then we bank it like any other cheque ?

Regards Phil.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Charlie...

Yes thats as easy as that[its drawn on the bank so its fine as well :wink: ]

Ive has a few of these from different countries without problems and people dont seem to mind getting them...Its quite straightforward.....
[though I dont know how much it costs them,but if they transferred from a bank would cost as well ]....... :wink:
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

You can always add the Paypal fees on to the rental charges. It works out about 4% I think. Not sure if this option is available for Australian guests, but there is always the e-cheque payment option. This is slower, but a lot cheaper, it is only a few euros.