Ways to confirm the information provided by enquirers

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Normandy Cow

Re: Ways to confirm the information provided by enquirers

Post by Normandy Cow »

Fil wrote:I would imagine this gets very expensive as in both cases the 200 will become 170 - 180.
I don't quite know how you have reached this figure. My bank charges me 30p to bank a cheque and 65p to pay a cheque. Add another 20-something p for the postage (forgotten the cost of a first-class letter!), the cost comes out at about £1.20, not £20-£30!!! OK, I suppose there is the hassle-factor, but I would rather have this minor inconvenience than to be left with a cheque that is useless because the guests have phoned their bank and stopped the cheque.

PS, Fil, to use quotes, go to the post you wish to quote, and there should be a "quote" button at the top-right of it. Click on that, and you will have the entire post included at the top of your new text. Just delete the bits you don't want to quote.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I would not rent my villa without taking a security deposit...it is something expected as part of renting private accommodation. I hope its a deterrant to additional cleaning or damage - but some guests are happy to use it as a catch all (i can pay therefore I will do what I want)
Over the years on the whole we have put it down to the more they earn, the worse they are because they can afford to pay someone else to do it at home, and are out of practice when they visit yours.
I totally agree with what PC says....and can quote many examples of that happening on this island. Our worst guests last year lived on a private estate in Burmuda and a £12million house in London....so what would a search have told me about them? (probably if I'd known I would have realised they wouldn't be able to use a dishwasher, BBQ etc and hired someone to assist them all holiday! :D )

Let me also say that drugs are also an issue with hi-earners (tho' thankfully not something I've had to deal with - yet).

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Fil

Post by Fil »

I also have some doubts wether a damage deposit of a few hundred euros is very effective as a deterrant. At the end of the day it all depends on the guests civility and this you cannot guess. I totally agree it does not depend on their material welfare. What I try to obtain asking for some personnal information is is to get a more psycological than material deterrant. This extra personal knowledge gives me a proximity to the guests that I explore at the welcome talk and (I believe, although am not certain of course) puts extra pressure on them to behave properly. Anyway, my offer conditions include payment of a damage deposit on arrival and I decide on a case by case basis if I charge it or not. Another possible inconvenient linked to damage deposits is that hotels, aparthotels, etc don't charge them. I am sure this one has been debated before at LMH so please someone could point where I can find it ?
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Fil - I think you're worrying unnecessarily about the damage deposit....just do what 99% of other owners do when renting out their property and charge it!
You will not go down in the expectations of your guests.

Anyone concerned about paying it (on the otherhand) I would be very wary of and the conversation would cease at that point!

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Another possible inconvenient linked to damage deposits is that hotels, aparthotels, etc don't charge them
But I'm sure hotels/aparthotels pass on any damage charges to the tour operator!
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Fil wrote: Another possible inconvenient linked to damage deposits is that hotels, aparthotels, etc don't charge them.
True, but then again hotels don't just leave their guests with a full run of the building for a week with no-one on site to keep an eye on what is going on...

I agree that the damage deposit is only a small percentage of the actual cost of damage they could do, but any deterrent is better than none at all.

And if someone decided not to book with me because of the damage deposit, then I wouldn't want them to stay anyway... Take it or leave it is my attitude in this respect (and only in this aspect of the rental I hasten to add, that is NOT my attitude to the whole rental experience, where I most definitely am an "owner who cares"!!!)
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Who knows?

Perhaps a security deposit is a deterrent to additional cleaning or damage. Perhaps drugs are also an issue with hi-earners. I don’t know.

What I do know is that I have never asked for a security deposit nor ever needed one. What I do know is that drugs have never been an issue with my high or low earning guests. I don’t even know, and never thought to ask, which of my guests were high or low earning.

After seven years, all I know is that I appear to attract “guests who care�. I wonder, why?

Fluffy
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Alan Knighting wrote: What I do know is that drugs have never been an issue with my high or low earning guests.
How do you know? Have you ever thought to ask them? :wink:
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

After seven years, all I know is that I appear to attract “guests who care�. I wonder, why?
Probably for the same reasons most of us do Fluffs. Taking a deposit doesn't change this fact, we just do what the majority do, maybe that makes us a bit 'sheep' like but that is all.
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Fil

Post by Fil »

Uau. I am not the only one at LMH from the "1% club who dares not to charge damage deposit all the time" . Also never had any major problems in more than 2 years. And never noticed I had special charisma attracting special kinds of people (attracting my wife was pure luck ...).
P.S. Following your replies, I decided to put the answer to my question about professional ocupation an optional.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Fil wrote:
I am not the only one at LMH from the "1% club who dares not to charge damage deposit all the time"
Helen Keller wrote:
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
Happy to be in a minority club with Alan and Fil. We don't charge a security deposit either, just expect our guests to be grown-ups. So far they haven't disappointed us. Some of the most rewarding encounters in my life have been with total strangers who have responded to me with generosity and kindness. How can I do less for our guests unless they give me reason.

Jim
A-two

Post by A-two »

Jimbo,
I'm very happy for you, but with all due respect to you and Alan, both of you live on the premises, hence your risk is infinitesimal compared to someone who is not there. Find me an absentee owner with 5+ years experience who does not take a security deposit from first time renters.

And by the way, hotels do take a security deposit. It's called running your credit card through their machine on arrival. Strangely, they still see the need to do this despite having staff on the premises 24/7.
Waves from America
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I'm very happy for you
Hi Joanna

I'm happy for me too. I've been fortunate to work my adult life as a freelance in an environment where business is done on a handshake, where a person's word is their bond and where companies big and small have always behaved honourably and respectfully towards me.

Maybe the rental world is different. I'm too new to know. But if it is, I won't stay around long.

Jim
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Jimbo wrote:Happy to be in a minority club with Alan and Fil. We don't charge a security deposit either, just expect our guests to be grown-ups.
I will also 'admit' to not taking a security deposit :shock:, although I am aware that most will consider this to be living dangerously....in my student days, I used to do a bit of freefall parachuting (not much, mind!). Sadly, not taking a security deposit is about as exciting as my life gets, these days :lol:

Innocent that I am :wink:, I also take the view that it ought to be possible to sort out any major damage on an amicable basis. I have not been in the rental business long, but nothing to report so far (paw on wooden hutch).

Yes, I do think it makes a difference if there is some on-site presence. Although I don't actually live on site, I do see guests on arrival and departure day. I enjoy this contact and think it helps to focus people's minds on the fact that they are actually staying in what is someone else's cherished home. If I were not able to ensure at least some personal contact with guests, I would probably charge a security deposit, too. If I were operating on any big scale, with several properties, I would probably also charge a security deposit.

(Note: I do state in my T&Cs that I will charge a cash security deposit on arrival, just to keep the framework formal..)
paolo

Post by paolo »

Joanna wrote:Find me an absentee owner with 5+ years experience who does not take a security deposit from first time renters.
Here I am! I once took a deposit for a family with three kids, and kept it because they put chocolate stains on the sofa. Also once for a small dog, who left no mark of his stay. I haven't had a problem so far, but my properties are small and not really for families, so there is less scope for disaster.
Paolo
Lay My Hat