Can I cancel my villa bookings?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
CostaBlanca

Can I cancel my villa bookings?

Post by CostaBlanca »

Hi,

My problem is that I have to consider cancelling all bookings in order to devote my time and energies to Pete. He is ill and is starting treatment this week. I don´t know how he will react to the treatment, I don´t how well/sick he will be during Summer rental period. We usually move out of the villa for 12 weeks into an apartment down by the beach but I know that he would be much happier here at home if he were unwell.

Has anyone had to cancel before? How would I go about it? OUr first arrivals have paid in full, other bookings have paid a deposit.

I am sorry that I haven´t contributed much to this forum but you all have been so helpful with your advice and humour in the past.

Thank you so much,
Maria
Maria
mon269

Post by mon269 »

Maria,

First of all, I want to say that I’m sorry to read Pete is unwell. I hope sincerely he gets well soon.

As per your bookings, have you considered looking for other properties nearby that have those weeks free and may be able to accommodate your guests? I am sure both parties would understand.
gh

Post by gh »

Hi Maria,
Sad to read your post, Pete will feel more at ease in his own home and I wish him all the very best, you too.

Good idea from mon269, I'm sure your guests will understand the circumstances of your cancellation.... time enough to find alternative accomodation.

Good luck to Pete with his treatment and take care off yourself too.
Helen
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Maria...

As Mon says Im really sorry to hear of Petes problems of course he is/and should be your first priority...

Cancelling in these circumstances is totally..totally understandable...
but as Mon sayd maybe you could enquire if nearby places could take the bookings.....then offer this to clients...The earlier you tell them the better so they can make other arrangements....The way that bookings are Im sure they will be able to book elsewhere...
Im sure they will understand and if the dont its hard Cheddar...isnt it.... because you have so many more important things to consider...

Take Care and remember were all here for youxx
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Maria

So sorry to hear about Pete's illness and hope things are ok once he begins treatment.

For the people who have already paid in full, I would offer to try and help them search for a similar accommodation, or get together a handful of 'suggested' properties in the same area as yours. They may decline and want to look for something else themselves.

As for the people who have paid a deposit, I would return their deposit with your explanation. I'm sure you're clients will understand once you explain why you have had to cancel their bookings, and there is still time for them to search for other rental properties.
A-two

Post by A-two »

Hi Maria,
So sorry to hear your news. There's no question in my mind that if you're facing a serious health crisis, your guests will understand. Also, I wouldn't hesitate to call other owners and ask for help accommodating your guests. After all, it could happen to any of us and we could be in your shoes.

If you can manage it, before you contact the guests, I would try and have a reasonable solution for each and every guest who has booked, so that they are not left stranded. It wouldn't matter to me whether they have paid all or only part, they are all going to be inconvenienced, so try and take care of all of them by finding substitute places that are suitable.

Even if they don't take up the offer of the alternative place you will hopefully find for them, I'm sure they will appreciate your care and consideration in the face of great personal difficulty.

If it's all too overwhelming, then maybe one of the other owners can also give you a hand calling around, a friend or family member.

Thoughts are with you. Good Luck!
Waves from America
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Hello Maria,

So sorry to hear your news. It is obvious from your post that you are a very caring rental owner, but if I may give you any advice I would say: cancel, and don't hesitate for a moment. In this kind of situation, you must put Pete and yourself first.

I know you are hoping to help your guests with alternative arrangements. Again, if advice is to be given, I would say do whatever you can as soon as possible to get this matter off your mind. I'm sure you will feel relieved once it has been dealt with. That, in itself, will be a very positive thing.

I do hope Pete will feel better and stronger soon.

Bon courage, Rab
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Hello Maria. You have to put yourselves first. I would do as all the others have said and cancel straight away to give them time to find somewhere else but have a few possibilities for them to try. Cancelling now is better than the day before they arrive so don't feel too bad about it, like Joanna said, it is a situation any one of us could find ourselves in. Take care, and good luck with everything.
Ju

Post by Ju »

Hi Maria, you definately have to put the health of your family first.

What does it say in your contracts about the owner cancelling?

This is what we put in ours:

Cancellation by Owners
In the unlikely event that the Owners need to cancel your holiday due to circumstances beyond their control, the owners will refund promptly to the Hirers all monies paid for the rental.
Under no circumstances shall the Owners liability to the Hirers exceed the amount paid by the Hirers to the Owners for the rental period.

I think it would be nice if you could find alternatives, but if you are too busy caring for Pete then don't stress about it.

Wishing you all the best.

Ju
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Maria,
I'm so sorry to hear of your current situation, and I absolutely agree that you have to put yourselves first in these circumstances. I'm sure that the guests will understand, and I'm sure it can't be too late to find suitable alternative accommodation - it's only March, and wasn't there another thread on this forum about bookings being slow? Therefore, there must still be loads of availability.

Peace and Love. xxx
CostaBlanca

Post by CostaBlanca »

Thank you so much for your kind thoughts.

As you can guess, I am quite emotional at the moment and find it difficult to take it all in.

Pete is happy enough to move out as he doesn´t want to inconvenience our guests but I know deep down that I should cancel for his sake. There is enough stress in our household at the moment.

To be honest, I don´t know too many owners of 4 b/r villas who rent out in our area as many of them use one of rental agencies but I will ring around to ask. There is one neighbour who might be interested in renting out her newly built villa during July and Aug.

Can someone help with composing a letter for my clients. I would really appreciate it - my brain is not working....

It is ironic isn´t it that many of us were wondering where all our enquiries/bookings have gone and now I have to cancel.

Un abrazo,
Maria
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Maria

so sorry to read of your situation and I too hope Pete improves with the treatment.

I'll pm you with a suggested letter

Mouse (thinking of you both)
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
mon269

Post by mon269 »

Hi Maria,

Just another thought after visiting your OD listing. You may want to mark all dates as booked (or unavailable) in all your calendars for the time being so that you don’t have to deal with enquiries.
brenda

Post by brenda »

Hi

I was so very sorry to hear of Petes illness.

I can empathise with you completely as we were thrown into a similar situation last September when my husband was suddenly rushed into hospital and diagnosed with a very serious health problem. We had numerous bookings within the following couple of weeks - ours is B+B accommodation so they were all for just a few days - and, as I was staying with him at the hospital 24/7, we had no option but to cancel. I rang all the other B+Bs in this area and made a list of availability that I emailed to each guest; all got accommodated successfully and, where there was a slightly higher rental, we paid the difference.

With only 1 exception - an Italian couple who may have lost some of the urgency in language translation - everyone was most understanding and even sent emails at the end of their holidays to ask how Ian was doing.

Don´t feel at all guilty about cancelling. Pete needs to be in the comfort of his own home and you do not need the stress of worrying about guests.

My thoughts are with you both.