Holiday Home Insurance

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Lizzy

Holiday Home Insurance

Post by Lizzy »

Hi not been on the site for a while just need some advice really , we have bought a house in Spain Fuerteventura to rent out for holidays. I have been looking on the internet for Insurance companies that cover this kind of thing just wondered if anyone can reccommend any would help me out !
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

hi Lizzy

many years ago when we had our apartment here but lived in the UK we used a company called schofields limited (recommended by our insurance broker)

there are quite a few now tho' that will insure your holiday home or if you want a spanish company your bank will probably do it.

good luck

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Try Intasure....they have a much more comprehensive household insurance for holiday rental properties than the Spanish insurance companies. I switched my spanish Blds & Contents insurance in favour of their policy.
They have an office in Mainland Spain (Valencia) and offices in the UK.
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

I use intasure too. I've never made a claim though so I don't know what their response would be like.
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

I've been thinking about switching to intasure when my (French) policy comes up for renewal next month. It is about twice as expensive as my Aviva Domifacile insurance. Both of them are for holiday properties and provide public liability insurance, but the Intasure one appears to also compensate the owner for loss of income in the event of the property becoming unlettable - but I haven't really had time to examine how good this part of the policy is. Does anyone have any experience of this type of claim????
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Normandy Cow,

I haven’t any experience of your hypothetical problem but I do have a thought about property and contents insurance in general.

Is it just possible that the right way to get the right deal at the right price is to put your requirements to a number of insurers and to compare the responses?

If that’s too time taking or too difficult for you an insurance broker would do it on your behalf.

Fluffy
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

You're right Alan, that's kind of what I was going to do when I get back from holiday - but as this thread had been started, I thought I'd pop in my question to see if anyone had any advice. :)
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

I haven't made a claim on my Spanish insurance or Intasure..so can't help with that your query NC.

What I can say is that I was underinsured as a holiday rental property with the Spanish insurance company for the last 3 years..and didn't even know it until I questioned the public liability..then other 'holes' in their policy came to light
! I thought I had a comprehensive insurance with them! Their public liability was only 150K euros (which is nothing!). There were alot of 'grey' areas that the insurance agent seemed to waive aside saying ...'but this is Spain!'
Well, after I found out that I was indeed underinsured I looked elsewhere for a much better policy. As we all know when it comes to making a claim...that's when all the 'grey' areas come to light and in the company's favour. So paying a cheaper premium always means that when it comes to a claim you will have hassle.

I can't vouch for Intasure...but they seem to have the right policy for me. Public liability £2m (the Spanish insurance company was willing to raise it to 300K euros!), there are no restrictions as to how many days the property is unoccupied etc. Best to get a few quotes in and view the pros and cons before picking the right policy for your property.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Normandy Cow (I’m sure you have a more attractive name than that) &
Crystal (that’s a name which is clear and sparkles for me),

It all goes to show, one has to ask the appropriate questions and kick the answers into touch if they are wrong.

I don’t know how it compares with what anyone else has but my contents insurance which I have with Copeland Foreign, through Great Lakes, is now due for renewal. The renewal premium on a fully comprehensive replacement basis for the contents of my own house and two gites, including Public Liability for £3,000,000, is £530 for the year.

Fluffy
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Alan,
does your insurance policy include cover for damage/breakages etc. done by the guests?
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi All...

Im covered by Axa and have had to make 2 claims..the second one was a marble sink basin surround that a guest broke...and I didnt have to pay any excess
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I'm with AXA in France, but that policy, as with most French policies, doesn't include damage or breakages caused by guests, they all have to have their own liability insurance for that.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Susan..

This would have been awkward as this was a 'friend' and she denied all knowledge...and no I hadnt taken a security deposit :evil: ...

[there was nothing wrong/I didnt notice..then when i persisted maybe it was the cleaners.... :evil:] It was literally hanging off the wall......
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

La Vache wrote:Alan,
does your insurance policy include cover for damage/breakages etc. done by the guests?
Yes but there is a £50 excess.

Fluffy
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

I should add that the use for lettings had to be notified to the insurers and added to the policy, it didn't come automatically.

Fluffy