What do I do about enquiries mid-week to mid-week?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

Loopy Lou, I am with Joanna on this. You offered a proffesional answer but I believe you need to keep things simple for our the guests or it just becomes to hard in an ocean where there are many options as is the case in June.

My strategy probably would have been to look at whether that would have been a good week for my family to go down there to enjoy the odd days and offered them the five days at a week rate or let them know I am only accepting Saturday to Saturday.

My gut instinct is that I would not have offered the mid week booking as in our area June is a season I expect to book and I would have been inclined to hang on - but that may be different in your area.

Keep in mind that if the weeks didnt go in good time at full rates you still have the option of offering reductions which would probably still bring in more money over the two weeks than losing a whole week.

Your answer has left your options open and my next course of action would be to definitely try to get them on the phone to talk things through.
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Lou :) ..

I do agree with all thats been said...Ive had a couple of these and have rung to see the lie of the land and also to see how fixed they are with dates...
but as you had emailed them in the mean time I thought you ought to wait a bit..
I think a phone call would be justified now...

just be clear in your mind what your willing to offer and dont agree on the spot say youll just check your dates/figures again..... :wink:
mon269

Post by mon269 »

Hi Lou, I’m quite new on this and unfortunately I can’t really give you any advice :oops: . I just wanted to say how fortunate we are to have the support of all the great people on this forum.

Guys, you are being a great help to Lou. Well done!
A-two

Post by A-two »

Ros wrote:Hi Lou :)
but as you had emailed them in the mean time I thought you ought to wait a bit..
I agree with you Ros, there's no right way or wrong way, only your way and it's our uniqueness that appeals to others most. Lou will work out what works for her, and it may be different from everyone else, but one thing is the same for all of us - year one is very scary!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

year one is very scary!
aint that the truth :roll: Spot on as usual Joanna :wink: ....

year 2 & 3 & 4.......aint much better either :wink: :roll: ....

Its all a learning curve and I for one am learning all the time[specially with help of this forum and the generous posters :wink: :D ]
......anyone whose found this in their first year has one up on me.....and so Im sure theyll be fine....[wish I had :roll: ]...

And Im glad when people ask questions cos then I usually learn something as well :wink:
...as Im sure so do lots of others...
Anyone who thinks they know it all is kidding themselves as circumstances change all the while and you have to be prepared to change with them...what works one year might not be right for another.... :wink:
Loopy Lou

Post by Loopy Lou »

Dear Joanna and everyone.

Thank you for your comments. They are really constructive and helpful and will guide me if and when I get another enquiry like that one. I am learning all the time and hoping to become better at converting enquiries into bookings. Positive, positive, positive is the message unless I am already booked - but then I could always offer alternative dates if possible.

I'll try phoning today.

I lost a long booking June to October this week-end because the enquirer took a different gite. I would have had to arrange something for an August week because all three gites are booked, but I would have had them in the house if necessary. Gutted.

It's all a learning curve and, yes, year 1 is scary - please don't tell me it doesn't get easier! :( :shock:

Keep on trying.

slightly discouraged LL.
Louise
www.lacharronniere.com delightful gites in the Vienne countryside.
Loopy Lou

Post by Loopy Lou »

Phoned today, but the client had found somewhere else having contacted several places. Oh well, soldier on. My girls are coming for Easter so I don't care!!!
Louise
chrismooney

Post by chrismooney »

looks like the booking has been lost LL however its made us realise that because this year we will be offering b and b and gite its enabled us to offer the option to enquirers. we had an enquiry for 4 days gite which was in an unbooked week in july...we were reticent about taking the booking but offered 4 nights b and b with a reduction for evening meals if required. this was ok for the enquirer and we secured the booking....two days later we booked that week in the gite so glad we provided alternatives.
i know its not practicable for all owners to offer gite and b and b due to logistics, property layout etc. however it may be something to consider for the future??we decided to invest in more renovation in 2006 to enable us to offer gite and the bookings so far have justified our decision.... in some respects if we had more property we would probably renovate into another gite if it was possible
chef who will try anything!!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

My girls are coming for Easter so I don't care!!!
Good For You Lou :wink: Have a nuce Easter...Im sure you will...

BTW What site did this enquiry come from.......

Are you on lots[I see your on YHM good for you :wink: ]
Its just that some encourage potential guests to send to loads of houses at once[click here to send to other places like this]
or something equally vague...[Of course that makes the rental Owner think that the website is getting them a lot of enquiries... :roll: ]
So this means you will get a high percentage of enquiries that wont convert into bookings ...rather than someone emailing you cos they really wanted to stay at your house...
So dont beat yourself up about it......
Loopy Lou

Post by Loopy Lou »

Hi Ros,

It was from Holiday Lettings. I'm also with Owners Direct, Homelidays, Lost in France (free), Apartments Direct Ireland, Visit France as well as YHM. I am disappointed with the level of enquiries as well as bookings, but it could be to do with various things.

Now that the better weather is here and once the gites have been redecorated, the pots planted with bright flowers and the new cottage completed, I will be able to improve the photographs and also add some feedback from such guests as I have had so far.

I refuse to panic - I am cultivating a very French laid back attitude. I didn't come here to be stressed. I take a fatalistic approach and take each day as it comes.

Yay, it's raining - perhaps my new turf and grass seed will take after all. Wait a minute, that's hail!! Argh!!!! :shock:
Louise