Dreamweaver?

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
livinginitaly

Post by livinginitaly »

My god yes, ......... i've re-read my last post and I must be going mad!

Using word may have an easier learningcurve (it is just a wordprocessor after all), but the end result will be a 'waste of time' as i'm sure that very shortly you'll either redo it with 'proper' software or pay someone to design a site for you.

Invest a little more time in dreamweaver and reap the rewards of having a fully flexible, easily updated site later.

You know it makes sense :)
Cat7139

Post by Cat7139 »

Thank you everybody!

You've convinced me to return to dreamweaver. When I sort out the URL I'll let you know.

Catherine
Fraise

Lovely people

Post by Fraise »

:lol: Hi Catherine,lots of people on this site are lovely and helpful.It is a bit boring BUT it's something most of us have to go through!!We got into all sorts of muddles trying to get our site up and running, and indeed agonised over whether it was better to get a fair-to-middling site up or to wait till it looked good???? We had lots of help from here and put up our site. It's not finished;it's certainly not perfect but we have a web presence and more importantly, some bookings!!! Stick with it and do listen to the advice freely given on this site-most of whi
ch is excellent :D Good luck!!!
www.thepetitmanoir.com
:lol:
Cat7139

Post by Cat7139 »

My brother in law has just signed me into a free server so now have temporary website www.pictureburgundy.bravehost.com
I've managed to upload index page just to see what it looks like but can't get the images up.

Any suggestions?
Catherine
livinginitaly

Post by livinginitaly »

Hi Catherine,

could be that you have 'spaces' in the image names ... try removing them or using an 'underscore' instead.

example image_name.jpg

Hope this helps :)
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Catherine,

Did you upload the images as well?

However your folders are organized on your home computer, you need to mimic that on the site and copy your images into the proper folders on the site. The live web site knows nothing about what's on your home computer, so you have to essentially keep a copy of the website on both your computer and the web site's servers. (Sorry if you already knew that.)

So it looks like you would need a folder named "Logos-Schematics & Treated Pix" and one called "Photos" as well.

Though, like Tony, I would recommend removing all the spaces and non-alphanumeric characters from your directory and image names. For example, call the directory "Logos-Schematics_and_Treated_Pix".

Cheers!
Brooke
paolo

Post by paolo »

Or...for simplicity, how about just doing what everyone else does - make a folder called 'images' and stick all images and graphics in there?
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Catherine,

I have taken the liberty of downloading the whole of your Website to my PC and then tried to view your pictures. PaintShopPro reports that they are not really in JPG format even though the file extensions indicate that they are.

Check it out. Does your image editor open them? Can you open them with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer? Are they really saved in JPG format?

Then follow the instructions from Tony and Brooke and upload them again.

Alan
Cat7139

Post by Cat7139 »

vrooje wrote:
So it looks like you would need a folder named "Logos-Schematics & Treated Pix" and one called "Photos" as well.

Though, like Tony, I would recommend removing all the spaces and non-alphanumeric characters from your directory and image names. For example, call the directory "Logos-Schematics_and_Treated_Pix".
Brooke,
I have two folders named Logos and photos.
I have also taken out spaces from the picture titles, I think.

I have reloaded the index.html but have not loaded the images. When I upload an image the server inserts individual picture files into a new web page, with nothing else in it.

Where am I going wrong? The pics are saved in Adobe photoshop as jpegs.

Catherine
charles

Post by charles »

Catherine,

Was just passing by, thought I'd drop a couple of thoughts about the issues you are having with dreamweaver (DW):

One suggestion I would have is to have all your files and folder names in lowercase - most servers treat name like photo.jpg and Photo.jpg as different things. I have noticed that one of your photos is called:

http://www.pictureburgundy.bravehost.co ... s/Jura.JPG

Keeping it all lower case simplifies things.

As suggested before I would keep all graphics in one basic folder called images and then have sub-folders within that. For example /images/treated and images/logos.

If you use DW for FTPing your files you can tell it what your default images folders is and it will keep that folder up-to-date whenever you are uploading your site.

Finally, if you're having problems with elements of your page no showing up properly even though you are sure all the references are correct then it *sometimes* helps to have DW re-create its cache (search in help on how to that - it depends on your version of the software).

HTH

Charles
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Catherine:

Okay, here's what I see when I view your site now:

...which, strangely, isn't showing up in the preview, so here's the URL: http://experienceburgundy.com/images/te ... enshot.jpg

Is that what you want me to see?

What changes do you want to make to this?
Brooke
paolo

Post by paolo »

When I upload an image the server inserts individual picture files into a new web page, with nothing else in it.
Your image files are in the main directory along with the index page. If you put them in their own folder perhaps this won't happen. Don't see why that should be the case, but it may be something to do with the webspace provider.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Catherine,

Using Website Copier I now get the same as Brooke, with one exception. The monochrome picture is left aligned in my browser IE 6.

Using IE 6 direct to your Website the monochrome picture is again aligned to the left.

The Copier loads your coding to my PC and then runs it in preview mode. One nice thing doing it that way is that I don't get the host's banner advertising.

By the way, I know you might think this is a breach of your privacy. If you object to me "peeping behind the curtain" like this I will delete your pages from my PC and will not look again.

Alan
Cat7139

Post by Cat7139 »

vrooje wrote:Catherine:

Okay, here's what I see when I view your site now:

...which, strangely, isn't showing up in the preview, so here's the URL: http://experienceburgundy.com/images/te ... enshot.jpg

Is that what you want me to see?

What changes do you want to make to this?
I succeeded to upload the images earlier but the images changed positions as soon as I tried to place them which disrupted the text as designed.

The ovalairbrush was float right with a runaround text.
The jura view was float left with a runaround. In dreamweaver, it looks ok. But on the server it has changed dramatically.

Where do I edit? In dreamweaver or on the host server browser?

ps I have changed all my images and foldernames etc to lower
case.

Thank you all again.
Am off line now cause had sleepless night dreaming of codes!!!!
Plus- is my birthday and am going to watch Shrek 2 with daughter and hubby and a bottle of wine!
Catherine
charles

Post by charles »

Catherine,

Not sure if you know you can preview your pages from DW - press F12 when you have a page displayed in DW and it will open a preview version in Internet Exlporer or whatever your default browser is.

If the page displays correctly that way it should work ok on the server too - you server to just wrap your site around a frame - what is inside that frame (your pages) shouldn't be affected.

Cheers,
Charles