Booking How do you answer the first inquiry?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Stu

Post by Stu »

Whether 'desperate' or not, we still need the brass! So, for that reason alone I tend to be pretty quick off the mark, hopefully the first to reply is usually uppermost in the minds of the potential client.
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Mind you, with a 10% bookings to enquiries, I’m not sure you should follow my advice
Mine's not too hot either Juan, never mind. I have tried over the last 2 years various approaches from phoning to e-mailing, always promptly, short/medium/long replies. At the end of the day though, because everyone is different, there will be those that prefer a long reply and those that prefer a more succinct approach as there will be guests that would prefer to be contacted by e-mail rather than phone, so you are never going to get it right for everyone.

I hope I'm not getting too 'que sera sera' with things but I truly believe that as long as you are pleasant/prompt/helpful then if yours is the place for them and the price is right then they will book.
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
mon269

Post by mon269 »

Partridge wrote: f yours is the place for them and the price is right then they will book.
10% of my enquirers say you are right. :lol:
Stu

Post by Stu »

Partridge wrote: f yours is the place for them and the price is right then they will book.
Never a truer word spoken!
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

the only things I'd add is;
Firstly I thank them for enquiring and try to establish a quick rapport
when confirming dates I including check in/out time
I always put a link to web info on the village and a link to flight operators

My closing sentence is; if I can provide any further information to help you decide that Can Alegre is for you, please don't hesitate to ask.

I always put a read receipt on the email (then I know its read after having a problem a month ago with emails going missing)

If we're booked...then I always ask them to remember us for next year should they visit the island again

Oh - and I always answer straight away (my husband drags me to the computer if I get an SMS to my mobile!) :D
sometimes they're still on the computer (as the read reciept comes back asap) :P

Mousie (who also agrees with Partys wise words :P )
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Couple of things to add:

Of course, like others I use a template of sorts, but always try to insert a sentence in the beginning to personalise it. Taking ANY hint from the most cryptic enquiry one can usually find something to say (e.g. I notice that your email address is from Ireland, so we can accept Euros or Sterling, or if they mention children, I add comments about Cot and High chair etc.)

Second point is to imagine that the enquirer has never done a personal booking with owner, so I try to end with very clear instructuctions on "what next". Something like:

If you want to book, then the next steps are:
1. You do this
2. I do that
3. Then this happens

Keeping it as specific as possible, and not the vague "look forward to hearing from you". Even if they are seasoned renters, I don't believe that they will be offended by this hand holding approach.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

E Richard, that is good advice. I've thought about adding the 'what to do if you make a booking' as it is invariably the next question that comes back if the enquirer wants to book. As you say, even regular renters won't be offended as owners tend to have their individual ways of making the booking (different reservation form, different deposits required etc.)
I will add this to my initial response from now on.

When I said I didn't reply immediately I only leave it 5 mins max before responding, no longer!
shazza

Post by shazza »

see i told you in another thread that all you regular guys on LMH sound like proffesionals .
ros wise and so knowing .
alan like to provoke but always speaks the truth.
i think we should try and arrange a get together,don't know where but it would be fun.there probably would be no time for drinking as there would be so much talking to do!!
happy easter you guys.make sure you OD :wink: on choccie!!!
anmar1

Booking How do you answer the first inquiry..... anna

Post by anmar1 »

Hello to you all,
Since it is kind of late and I have been at the computer all day,I have not the time to thank you ALL personally.
The reason of the query, was this:

bookings arrived untill last Febraury and then stopped, I have been doing like the majority of you does.
Answered immediately, try to personalize the answer, I even try to answer in their own language if I know it...
well at a certain point... I started to wonder...am I doing it right?

That the reason of my query.
Since this is what we do for living , not an hobby, it happens that I get nervous.

Do some of you have the same feelings?

Please let me know, at least it will comfort me.

Thank you again.

Anna

p.s please forgive my mispellings, this is not my mother tongue.
Anna
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Since this is what we do for living , not an hobby, it happens that I get nervous.

Do some of you have the same feelings?

Please let me know, at least it will comfort me.
Oh Anna :wink:
Of course we do[hopefully that comes over in our posts.[and please dont worry about spellings and so on...[Have you seen my spelling :roll: ]
Your English is very good well done :wink:
What weve all learnt I think is you never know in this business and of course thats what it is...What works one year might not another....
Please keep your chin up :wink: :D and if theyre are any other questions please let us know :wink:

Have a hug :wink: Image
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Yes Anna, I certainly get nervous when I speak to potential guests for the first time :o
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Anna...you should see me panick when I get an enquiry written in German, Dutch and Danish! :?

You have been doing the same as the majority of us, responding promptly and correctly to enquiries, so I shouldn't worry too much about the lack of responses/enquiries in 2007. A few of us on this forum have been discussing the same thing (lack of enquiries/bookings)...maybe people are just booking later rather than earlier this year...or looking for last minute availability discounts! :wink:
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

Love that hug Ros! I've got to learn how to do these thingies.
I'd love to send hugs like that to my daughter from time time to time :)
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

BW :)

The Smiley page is here

http://bestsmileys.com/pageindex.htm

the hugging page is here[just cut and paste the written bit]
try it then you can preview to see if it works...

http://bestsmileys.com/hugging/

Happy Smileyposting :wink:
paolo

Post by paolo »

I think it would be hard to improve upon Stu & Syb's response above.

It is alright for your response to be long-ish if you are always stating the benefit for them. But not if you are talking about yourself or your cute dog/cat/goldfish.
Paolo
Lay My Hat