miscalculated rent and quoted too low! help!

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

I made the same mistake when I calculated a short stay rental in February (the weekly rate was reduced for last minute bookings). I forgot ( :oops:) that any special availability discounts we have does not apply when calculating short stay breaks.

I did however let the guests know my mistake and as it was my oversight I didn't ask them to pay the difference. The amount I overlooked was £75..small enough for me to shrug it off and regard it as a PR exercise!
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

I think I win this one :oops:

Took a 2 week booking for September quoting them £600 a week so they paid the deposit of £300, only then did I realise that it should have been £800 a week!! :shock: It was months ago now and I've since put those weeks up to £1000 so all in all I'm £800 down - that might make you feel a bit better Elaine! :lol:

Kathy
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

I have just had a similar experience...........

Had our property at a discounted rate on one of the sites, very nice man phoned up to ask if it was free 11-19th April, I said yes, was that for a week and he said yes so I duly sent him a contract for 11-19th April for quoted price per week. After I sent it I realised actually it wasn't a week, it was 8 nights (though he had said it was a week) so I rang him to just check the dates and when he confirmed it was 8 days, not a week , I said i would pro rata it so it was an extra £20 for the night (yes we are cheap in this area!!)

He cancelled the booking!!! But I am getting very hardened, he was having it cheap anyway and if he can't pay the £20 extra I would rather it was empty!!

I think I was right? (though I should have double checked before I sent the contract)
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Sorry Meishka :? ..but I would have taken the booking and overlooked the £20 rather than have the property empty....(just my humble opinion). :)
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

I take your point but at £9.28 inclusive of bills each per night I just didn't think it was worth it!
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Meishka....(It doesn't take much to confuse me :?) ....thought you were charging £20 per night. :?
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

Yes but I include the clean and the meet/greet!!! so when you take that off what is left is the price per night including electric and water
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

Epilogue:

My thanks for all the input.

After I sent an open-ended e-mail explaining the confusion and apologising, but not specifically asking for the full original amount, they paid up the full balance without a whimper! Checked them in and they are adorable people! There are still honest people in the world. :D (and they're now enjoying some excellent wine on me as a peace offering!)

Thanks for all the advice and the differing views - they really helped me to work out what I should do.
Elaine
Lounging on the lily pad...