Alarm bells ringing with James S***** from California?

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Mountain Goat

Alarm bells ringing with James S***** from California?

Post by Mountain Goat »

After the initial excitement of a 2-week whole-chalet booking for November (a difficult month for us), began to have doubts. Zero interest about anything to do with the place, facilities, local area, snow/no-snow, accommodation etc. but full-on in first e-mail with request for bank details (not even talked money, deposits, rate etc.).

After nagging for some details of his party we got this:

How are you doing?The total number of people that wil be come over to your villa will be 6 adults and one kid.9th November till 23rd will be required.Country of residence is USA California.

Could be genuine, just, I suppose the PA for a serious hotshot could possibly write like that, but any other opinions? Would any American quote a date 'in reverse'? Anyone else heard from James? A yahoo.co.uk email as well, which would be unlikely.

Thanks.

MG
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

MMM MG.. :roll:

Not sure :( ...Was the initial email Vague...you know Id like to stay in you house/villa/tent.....

I just think if YOUR not sure theres something up...

just cos its a nice month to get rid of doesnt make them any more genuine...
what if they were asking for your peak times how would you feel about them then :?:
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

Looks suspect to me. I have a good friend who is Californian, and she certainly doesn't speak or write like that!
Last edited by Ciapolin on Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carole-Anne
Cascina Ciapolin
www.piedmont-holidays.com
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

Though it looks dodgy, I would carry on with it till he sends a cheque. Then you'll know! I wouldn't give out any bank details though.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

If they're native Californian, they probably wouldn't refer to it as a villa, nor would they reference dates as "9th to 23rd November" (as you noticed) -- both are not American English. I'm the only Californian I know who writes dates UK style, but that's just because of all our British rental clients! :)

However, the UK e-mail address might mean they're UK expats... so then the question becomes, would someone from the UK say "6 adults and one kid" (unless there is a baby goat involved)? or "wil be come over to your villa"?

Aside from all that, the whole I-can't-put-spaces-between-sentences thing screams scam to me.
Brooke
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Thanks, everyone, much appreciated. Here's a couple of early ones from him:

Hi ,How are you doing today?I was looking for a villa (for my boss's family get together) and i came by your web site http://*****************. I will like to know if your villa is avalable.........

and the next -

Hi
How are you doing today?Thanks for the rapid response.I will like to know if the payments can be made with dollas.If you are in the states, i will require your address,full name and phone number.If you are in UK, i will like to have your account details so that the payment can be made to secure the villa.
Hope to hear from you soon
James

Just doesn't click with me, and those scammers' keyboards are always well worn (no space bar?). Just hate sending out bank details, but here goes with a pro-forma invoice.

I would have thought after a year with this sort of stuff I could suss them in my sleep but not really.

MG
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

OOHHH MG..

Even more worried... :( Surely if it was for his Boss hed want to know the ins and outs of a ducks a... bottom]
tread carefully.......Getting definite vibes Im afraid... :(
.....tell him youll set the peacocks on him if theres any funny business[glad to see theyre back.....looking fwd to hearing of there exploits during the summer :wink: ]
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

I wouldn't send bank details!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Thats what I was trying to say BW :roll: ..

See how easy it is to get to the point...youll have to give me lessons :wink:
mario

Post by mario »

Dont you use a saving account,then its only you that can move the money,in my case back to my current account then I can withdraw.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Does James have a second name?
Cheers
PC
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Alarm bells ringing????? Chase such enquiries?????

"Ye who listen with credulity to the whispers of fancy, and pursue with eagerness the phantoms of hope...." and all that.

Fluffy
Overboard

Post by Overboard »

Screams scammer to me. Tell them you want to phone them on a home number, that'll scare them a little.
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

If you are in the states, i will require your address,full name and phone number.If you are in UK, i will like to have your account details so that the payment can be made to secure the villa.
Why doesn't he know if you're in the States or the UK, seems odd and why do so many scammers end up having an involvement of 'the boss' or the company they work for blah blah. Have to say I have never had a dodgy enquiry yet but from all of your collective input here I would personally be wanting far more info before sending any account numbers.
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Easy for me to say, MG (a 2-week November booking would be lovely to accept), but I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. No scientific reason in particular - just that anyone who writes English like that doesn't deserve the privilege of staying at your lovely Swiss abode :wink: