How many URL's do I need?

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
mindadowling

How many URL's do I need?

Post by mindadowling »

At present I have four url's
www.sognapiccolo.com
www.sognapiccolo.co.uk
www.tuscanyholidaycottage.com
www.tuscanyholidaycottage.co.uk

Sogna Piccolo is the name of our 15th century stone cottage in Tuscany. We have just designed a website which is linked to all of the url's. The Sogna Piccolo url's are just coming up for renewal and I was wondering if I really needed them anymore.

We registered the name of the house when we bought it two years ago, but after reading the many informative comments mentioned on this forum I registered tuscanyholidaycottage which I thought would be a better name for the site and easier to locate.

By listing only the tuscanyholidaycottage url I would also be saving about $200.00 per year as I would not need for the Sogna Piccolo url to be hosted on a server any longer.

All advise welcome!
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Minda,

I agree, you probably only need the tuscanyholidaycottage domain name...

...but $200 a year? That doesn't sound right to me. You should be able to design one website and have multiple URLs point to it; then you pay for the hosting of one site and for the $15/year or so to keep up each domain name.

It sounds as though you might have several copies of the same website operating simultaneously... do I have that right? If so, that's probably unnecessary.

My parents have a real estate website that has something like 6 domain names pointed to it. They pay $100 per year for the hosting and then $15/year for each domain name. If it was $100/year for each domain name, they would never do that!

Cheers!
Brooke
mindadowling

Post by mindadowling »

Hi Vrooje,

Thanks for your comments. Went back to my web designer who is also hosting my site and had a little chat. Seems he made a bit of a mistake with my bill! A bit of knowledge is quite powerful!

Thanks
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Oh, goodness... let's hope that was an honest mistake!

:/

Happy to help...
Brooke
paolo

Post by paolo »

Hi Minda,
Seems he made a bit of a mistake with my bill!
Ha, ha, ha - that's me laughing - because many designers seem to charge way too much for annual hosting, which costs very little, and extra domains cost even less. I wondered how they could justify it, and here is my answer - a mistake with the bill. :wink:

Another mistake your designer made is that the sognapiccolo domains are not pointing at your main tuscanyholidaycottage.com site.

I can't think of a good reason why you need more than one domain name for this site. There is something to be said for buying the co.uk and perhaps .net variants of this domain, just to keep them off the market, and pointing them at your .com site.

But you have the same site on both tuscanyholidaycottage.com and tuscanyholidaycottage.co.uk - this is unnecessary: as they have duplicate content, Google will only show one of them in a page of search results. You will be paying to host both of those domains and that is the designer probably making more money out of you. The co.uk should simply point at the .com, and this costs either nothing or a handful of dollars.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
paolo

Post by paolo »

Minda,

Something else I forgot to say, which is mentioned in this thread:

viewtopic.php?p=3141

If you have the exact same site on two different domains, you may get penalised by search engines as a spammer. This means you will be relegated several hundred/thousand places down the search engine results.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
mindadowling

Post by mindadowling »

Hi Paolo,

Thanks for your comments. I hope that it was a honest mistake made by our web designer, however, having a bit of knowledge really does help!

I have decided to only have www.tuscanyholidaycottage.com and co.uk. Have taken your advice and the .co.uk site will be linked to the .com site