More than one cheque in the post ?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
charliechoice

More than one cheque in the post ?

Post by charliechoice »

Could someone please advise me, how do I handle the situation when more than one person is interested in making a booking. For example we have recently had a lot of enquiries from people wishing to book the same weeks. We always inform them that the booking can't be reserved until their payment is received, but what if we receive payment from more than one person. Is it just a case of returning the one payment, along with an apology ?

Regards Phil.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

THis is exactly the reason I use a Paypal account to accept my payments, that way first to book gets the accommodation. No waiting for cheques or losing them in the post.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

I think Phil that you ought to give the first person that contacted you, and said they wanted to book, the 5 days (or whatever your terms are) to get the cheque to you but make sure they do know what your terms are.

Does that help or is it already too late? :wink: :shock:

Kathy
A-two

Post by A-two »

Hi Charliechoice,
I would avoid getting into that situation because the person you reject is not going to be happy and you don't want to lose the chance to talk one of them into booking another week instead, or at least coming back next year. Here's one way to handle it.

You can keep sending out the information to multiple inquirers without comment until someone comes back to you with a decision to go ahead, only then do you send them a contract. Only send out one contract at a time and never allow an inquirer to download the actual contract or booking form and submit payment without checking availability with you first.

After you have confirmed availability and sent out the contract to them, allow the inquirer X days to sign and return with payment, making sure they understand that their reservation is not confirmed until they do. If another inquiry arrives while you are waiting, first find out if a) they are suitable and b) they are serious. If so, tell them that you have accepted a provisional reservation from someone else, but it is not yet confirmed. You are waiting for payment and will need to contact them to find out the status before you can confirm one way or the other. Alternatively, you have X week available instead if they don't want to be wait listed for their preferred week.

If appropriate, contact the first person and explain you have another inquiry for the same period and since you work on a first come first served basis, you need to confirm immediately, or you intend to offer to the other people. Ask for a fax copy of the signed contract and check within 24 hours if they have not already mailed it.

If you do end up renting to the second inquirer for whatever reason, make sure you tell the first inquirer the offer to rent to them is now withdrawn and please destroy the contract. Then there is no confusion and they can't come back to you later claiming they have a reservation.

If two inquiries arrive on the same day, and both decide to go ahead at exactly the same moment, you can pick the best offer and send the contract to that one only, treating the other inquiry as a backup offer that you can go back to in case the first one doesn't work out, or one of them may be flexible and move dates.

Hope this helps.
charliechoice

Post by charliechoice »

Joanna,
many thanks for your very detailed reply.

Regards Phil.