WPD document help

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
A-two

WPD document help

Post by A-two »

Somebody sent me a .WPD file that I can't open. Is that Corel Word Perfect? I'm on PC with MS Office. How do I convert?

Thanks in advance.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

A-two

Post by A-two »

MG,
Thank you very much, really appreciated, but unfortunately my version of Word won't open it.... :cry: I emailed it to someone with Word Perfect, and they printed it out for me. In this case, that was enough, I don't need the file, but this is the second time in a week this has happened having never happened before. Maybe more people are using Wordperfect these days? The first time, I sent the file back and asked them to send it in a different format, but now it's happened again with someone else, obviously I do need to look for a fix. I'm beginning to think my Word program could be corrupted. Every time it asks me to load SR-1 disc or whatever, nothing happens.

Thanks anyway.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

JOanna , have you tried re-installing or repairing your Office package? Probably a dumb question though
:roll:
alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

I'm not sure if this will help but my friend can't open attachments I send to her in Word. I have XP and I presume she may have something like microsoft works. I now send attachments in PDF format which I convert from word and she can open them.
A-two

Post by A-two »

Helen,
No I haven't done an uninstall, because I'm not sure if the problem is damaged discs. The MS Office was pre-installed when I bought the PC. I guess I could create a restore point before I do the uninstall, then if it doesn't work, undo. There hasn't been much of a reason before, but I agree that's probably what I should do if Word ought to be reading the WDF files and it definitely is not.

Ali,
Good suggestion. I have Adobe Elements and love it. I send everything out as PDF files, but it's what other people are sending to me that's the problem!

Thanks.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Joanna,

The answer may be as simple as the Word format converters have not been installed. The following is copied from Word Help files:-

1. Install the file format converters as follows:
1. Exit all programs.
2. Do one of the following:
 If you are using Microsoft Windows 2000, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Add or Remove Programs.
 If you are using Microsoft Windows XP, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Add or Remove Programs.
3. In the Currently installed programs list, click either Microsoft Office 2003 or Microsoft Office Word 2003 (depending on whether you installed Word as part of Office or as an individual program), and then click Change.
The Configuration Wizard opens.
4. On the Maintenance Mode Options page, click Add or Remove Features, and then click Next.
If you installed Word as part of Office, then on the Custom Setup page, select the Choose advanced customization of applications check box, and then click Next.
5. On the Advanced Customization page, click the plus sign (+) next to Office Shared Features.
6. Click the plus sign (+) next to Converters and Filters, and then click the plus sign (+) next to Text Converters.
7. Click the arrow next to either WordPerfect 5.x Converter or WordPerfect 6.x Converter, and then click Run from My Computer.
The file format converter is installed.
2. In the File name box, enter the name of the file that you want, and then click Open.

Fluffy
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Apparently Corel offers a free plugin that will allow you to view a .wpd file in your browser:
ftp://ftp.corel.com/pub/WordPerfect/wpw ... Plugin.exe
Downloading and installing a strange exe is a bit scary, but it is directly from corel.com, at least.

As a temporary solution, you might ask your friend (who printed the document for you) to save it as an rtf file, which Word should be able to open easily.
Brooke
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Brooke,

That's OK and so is receiving files in .pdf format if all one wants to do is read the files. BTW: I'm a great fan of .pdf but so I should be since I have Acrobat Professional. IMHO if one wants to open and edit a file the only practical way is to have the appropriate format converters installed.

Fluffy
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Alan,

I definitely agree that it's best to convert -- but if all else fails, at least opening it with a web browser one could copy-paste...
Brooke