Protecting your personal information

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Kersh

Protecting your personal information

Post by Kersh »

Over the last few weeks I’ve started to receive a few suspicious looking e-mails to the point where I’m really scrutinising ALL the e-mails I get now.

As I run my apartment from the UK, I’ve been getting the guests to pay either into my bank account in Austria or in England before their stay, but I am now getting a bit concerned about the details I give people.

What information is safe to give to your guests (someone who is a complete stranger to you)? Is it safe to just give your sort code and account number if you conceal your full name and address? For example, I have started to put the apartment’s address in Austria on invoices as all my bank account details have my UK address. Is this a good tactic?

Another thing I’ve done is to actually send the invoice to the address they give so at least I know it’s their actual address.

Any advice from other renters would be excellent.

Thanks
Kersh
Fil

Post by Fil »

From my experience, some banks require full name and address of recipient for bank transfers. It has happened with french banks. Meaning guests will not be able to transfer the money without this information.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Your IBAN number is usually sufficient. It includes the identity of your Bank, its branch and your account number, what else is required? In France, the account holder’s name and address is printed on cheques, what’s the secret?

Fluffy
Kersh

Post by Kersh »

Thanks for the responses.

Maybe I should turn this around – what do fraudsters need to access my account? If I gave out my sort code, account number, name and address, is that enough?

I use IBAN with people paying into the Austrian account which seams to work fine but most people in the UK probably don’t have a clue about the IBAN system. I know I didn’t until I bought a house abroad. I think the system is something our European neighbours are much more accustomed to.

So, what do you need to access my account?

Kersh
enid

Post by enid »

They need your address if you want them to mail you payment. As Alan says the other information is on any cheque you write.
Kersh

Post by Kersh »

enid wrote:They need your address if you want them to mail you payment. As Alan says the other information is on any cheque you write.
Umm, I just checked with HSBC and all I need to make a bank transfer to another account in this country is the sort code and account number.

I'm only talking about people who pay for the apartment in sterling and therefore pay into my account in the UK. If guests live in the euro-zone then I get them to pay into my Austrian account using IBAN.

Thanks for the comments.

K
Kersh

Post by Kersh »

Anyone else want to tell us how they handle their bookings? I'm keen to learn from others as i'm pretty new to all of this and am concerned about giveing my personal details away to some scammer. :x
Thanks
Nivels

Post by Nivels »

I have just posted a reply on IBAN's and security on this post as I work for a UK bank. Hope it helps

viewtopic.php?t=1822

As long as PIN numbers, passwords and actual bank statements aren't given to anyone, they wont be able to do anything apart from pay you - which is fine of course! :D

Addresses are no real use to fraudsters unless they have something like a utility bill or bank statement which they can give as evidence of residence.

I would not give out your address to your villa or apartment though until you have full payment - thieves can see your availability calendar and they can therefore tell when the property is likely to be empty and therefore unlikely to be attended.
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

I just accept a cheque.

I ask for payment eight weeks before the rental, that gives plenty of time for the cheque to clear. Why do you need bank transfers? I havn't had an overseas renter yet, would that cause a problem if they sent me a cheque?

Ruth
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Ruth, yes, as their cheque wouldn't be sterling, and it would cost you money to pay it into your account, even if it was accepted by your bank. I have chosen to price my apartment in euros. It has been no problem for any of my UK guests. I accept payment by Paypal using the online booking calendar on my website. As i work long hours, and take frequent holidays, it means life and bookings can go on without me. I have added the PP fees onto my rental charges. Bank transfers are quicker, and don't bounce like cheques.
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

Thanks chamoise,

It seems you are teaching me something every hour.

So if I do get a guest who lives in 'euro land' that wants to book my place, I just need to make a deal with them as to the exchange rate and ask for a cheque in euros and my bank should accept it no quibble.. I understand it could bounce, but I would know that before handing over the keys.

Dumb blonde speaking here..please have patience.

Ruth
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Ruth, I suggest it would be easier for them to pay you using a bank transfer than a cheque. They can then pay in sterling, as their bank will do the currency conversion. You can give them your IBAN no, and BIC code (an international version of your account no and sort code), and they can easily transfer the money. These no's will probably be on you bank statement, or you can obtain them from your bank. It is much quicker than a cheque too.
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

I really should look into this paypal lark. I have used it to buy stuff but not sure what is involved to receive payment. I'm sure it is covered in past posts, I'll have a look back.

Ruth
gh

Post by gh »

kipper889 wrote:I really should look into this paypal lark. I have used it to buy stuff but not sure what is involved to receive payment. I'm sure it is covered in past posts, I'll have a look back.

Ruth
It's very good, HelenB convinced me :) not to difficult to set up either.

Here's the link to my question.

viewtopic.php?t=2536&highlight=pay+pal

Helen.
Kersh

Post by Kersh »

Thanks for the responses, not checked this for about a week.

Nivels, good point about not giving the address out before the guest's stay at the apartment. That said, i've always thought how i'd ever stop them walking off with anything in the apartment before they leave anyway. :?: :shock: Unless you check everything before they leave, there's not much you can do about it I guess? Still, good point i'll take on board.

Cheers